Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have ran Walkers since 2009. Last year, I demoed the Exmarks and there is a reason Walker wrote the book on this type of mower. There is no comparison. Walkers are quicker, the hydros are more responsive, the mowers dump better, the deck is easier to flip up and work on. For me, IMHO, Walkers are #1 for a reason. Toro tried to copy them, Scag tried to copy them and now Exmark tried. They all fail for a reason.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bobcat tried to copy them also. Scag tried twice.
I had two Walkers, as well as several big midmount ZTR's. Both of my crews took a Walker every day, as they were perfect for certain properties we did. The Walkers replaced all of our commercial walkbehinds and 21" mowers. We used them on all residential lawns, and most properties up to 1 acre in size. Anything bigger, we used the midmount ZTR's.
My Walkers never had any serious maint. issues, and I ran both of them up to around 200 hours each.
If I was still mowing, I would have GHS Walkers on my trailers, and probably a Super Bee in my fleet.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you. Walkers are perfect for SPECIFIC properties. Obviously if I'm mowing a 10 acre nursing home I want my Scags. But for condo mowing and resi mowing, you can't beat a walker. Bags it, eliminated a lot of trimming and outfront deck gets under things so much better. They have really really helped my business.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There's one guy on here chestnut oaks or something like that. They do high-end resi in sc and I believe they strictly run walkers. Look up their pics here, the cut is phenomenal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

alot of the resi accounts here are 1-5 acres in size. that is the norm so walker is out of the question for me.

i've never seen a super bee. any pics? what's the differences?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
alot of the resi accounts here are 1-5 acres in size. that is the norm so walker is out of the question for me.

The super b is like a supped up version of the ghs mowers, there faster and they only mulch or side discharge depending on the deck. No ghs on them, you could call them walkers "mid mount" without the mid mount deck. There was a review on them if you search. Remember that walker offers a 74 inch deck. It cuts great I used walkers at a company I worked at in highschool. If I stick with cutting grass (instead of just landscaping) I will be including a walker. With the walker you basically cut out the need for a walk behind. If you have lots that you can cut with just the walker, the only other things you need is a 21 and a trimmer, edger, and blower!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Member

That video has been up for a long time, no one here stumbled across it now. I think it was a last ditch attempt to resurrect navigator sales. Another rumor has it there remote displacement pumps " cutting edge technology" have had major issues right out of the factory to the end user. Also read there deck has a tendency to be balanced to heavy in the front. That may have been one unit that was not set up properly? Not saying walker hasn't had problems either with thousands of bad batches of eaton model 7 pumps all were covered under walkers amazing warranty.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post

Here is a pic of the MSBY their latest and greatest Super B with the Yammar diesel motor. With the diesel the back hood is a bit bigger than with the gas motor to accommodate the radiator. There are pics of the gas versions on their website www.walkermowers.com.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney3223 View Post
I have ran Walkers since 2009. Last year, I demoed the Exmarks and there is a reason Walker wrote the book on this type of mower. There is no comparison. Walkers are quicker, the hydros are more responsive, the mowers dump better, the deck is easier to flip up and work on. For me, IMHO, Walkers are #1 for a reason. Toro tried to copy them, Scag tried to copy them and now Exmark tried. They all fail for a reason.
Amen Brother. The bearded salesman is trying to sell the "red" mower a little too hard. Walker is the standard and will not be duplicated. Every company wants more share of the market, even Walker has a mid mount and "walk"er behind. The Walker GHS is and always will be the original and best in that class. By the way I have never seen Mr. Exmark but I have met Mr. Walker.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I run a walker for leaf clean up then switch over to a ztr for grass mowing. I've never liked the bag system on the ztr when I tried it(it was an exmark bag system from years ago). The walker makes getting leaves much easier. The only down side is that is runs a lot slower than the ztr, but since you are bagging it can only go so fast.

Not a lot of high end residential lawns here, but if I had enough I would def use my walker for mowing and keeping clippings out of beds etc. The cut is awesome.