Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I am actually about to order a walker brand new fuel ingected. I looked at the ex mark and there both good mowers but when it comes down to it the ex mark is slower heavier and doesnt have the reputation that walker has. Walker has extremely good respones to its hydro and manovarability plus they stand behind there product better. nothing cuts like the walker ive wanted one for a few seasons now. I have the money to buy it im getting it makes the properties look way better and cuts down on time. Lets face it there a reson why walker has been around for so long.
7x14 enclosed trailer for lawn maintenance crew
7x20 heavy equipment trailer for hardscaping crew
1 Bobcat
1 Bob cat back hoe ct230
Concret mixer

AND A HELL OF A LOT OF HEADACHES
Old 02-21-2012, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of pricing are you getting on the new efis?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was running a Navigator last season, just switched to a Walker. The Navi cut is nice and it handles ok. I think the Walker is lighter, seems to have more weight in the drive tire area vs.the rear like the Navi(tail tire seems to make a deeper track w Navi). My Navi hydro's were shot after 1900 hrs. I have seen quite a few Walkers w 3000+ hrs with original motor/hydro's. I also think the Navi sits just a bit higher in the operators position. I also like the versatility of the Walker, more deck options with 1 mower. I can use the GHS and a 74 inch discharge deck on the same property. I have to buy a totally seprate mower with the Navi. The Navi does seem to mow a little fast, however; my clients are not looking for speed. For the money the Walker seems to be better for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Member

We only use walker. They offer a Diesel liquid cooled model that combines fuel efficientciey with long life. Consider yourself lucky if you are able to get 3000 hours out of an air or liquid cooled gas engine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemower View Post
Rumor has it that Exmark has yet to sell out of it's original production run of the navigator and will discontinue selling them if they ever do. Nice try Exmark! Many have tried to copy a Walker but nobody could beat it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
Don't forget who paid for this commercial

Exactly.

I've seen the commercial before and put no stock in it.
It was clearly a 100% negative on the walker, 100% positive on the exmark. I am not a blind follower like that.

If walker was the trash that this clown tries to claim that it is they would not be sold in 26 countries and have produced over 250,000 units.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
We only use walker. They offer a Diesel liquid cooled model that combines fuel efficientciey with long life. Consider yourself lucky if you are able to get 3000 hours out of an air or liquid cooled gas engine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not so any more. With the pre 99 walkers this would happen because their air cleaners still sucked in too much dirt.

Now days with proper maint they can reach 5000. I've got a 26 hp EFI that is north of 3000 hrs and still has 130 psi compression. I don't expect to repower it any time soon.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I own a Scag version and have demo'ed a walker. The walkers are a maintenance nightmare. I have pictures of the internals of the one I demo'ed....its a TOTAL RAT'S NEST! The way the drive is set up on them is not the greatest. They do not handle hills well.
Having separate wheel motors/pumps is where both the Scag Cougar and the Navigator excel. Its the same style of system that 100,000s of Midmounts use. IMHO all of the mowers in this class have their little quirks. If Scag had done several things differently on their models they would have had a huge chunk of the market because they are such great machines. I am sure that the navigator has a few issues also. I would rate Navigator #1, Walker #2, and the Scag Cougar #3.
Mike
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC LAWN CARE View Post
I own a Scag version and have demo'ed a walker. The walkers are a maintenance nightmare. I have pictures of the internals of the one I demo'ed....its a TOTAL RAT'S NEST! The way the drive is set up on them is not the greatest. They do not handle hills well.
Having separate wheel motors/pumps is where both the Scag Cougar and the Navigator excel. Its the same style of system that 100,000s of Midmounts use. IMHO all of the mowers in this class have their little quirks. If Scag had done several things differently on their models they would have had a huge chunk of the market because they are such great machines. I am sure that the navigator has a few issues also. I would rate Navigator #1, Walker #2, and the Scag Cougar #3.
Mike

Separate wheel pumps/motors............ has it been that long since you've had a walker that you forgot their set up?

Same thing.

Mine handles hills just fine. Its all in the operator.
And DO NOT run the tires at 35 psi because thats what the sidewall says.
Drop it to 10 psi and it'll do two things. Ride better and because the tire is softer it'll have better traction.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mcc lawncre ive owned both scag and walker and thewalker blows it away. Not even close. My friend also owns a walker/ exmark dealership and sells navigators. He brought u them both home and ran em side by side and said walker was way nicer and a better cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You are right the scag is no where close to the walker.
The walker I had had some kind of hydro gear...far from the separate pumps/motors.
The one we ran had issues with the hill we ran it on. Its not very steep either. I have video of the walker rep having major issues on the hill.
Mike
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.