Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I think $280 is way high personally but if you get it good for you.

A realist I see. I agree. The going rate if this is not a regular client would get you about $70 to $75 a yard here assuming it is a smaller job here. Assuming the higher of the two figures given that puts the mulch alone at $112.50. Then assuming the guy has another hour and a half in purchasing the mulch and prepping the bed at $65 a hour you have $210.00 roughly. That is a fair price. Now again if it is a regular customer then maybe go a little higher, call it a convenience charge since they do not have to call someone else and waste it there time.

Any more than that on residential mulch job you are pissing in the wind when there are a million companies here that will do it for $50 a yard. All in all the guy is going to make a little over $50 a hour after the cost of the mulch....which is not bad considering this is not freaking rocket science and most home owners understand that. Especially considering it is not the middle of summer either. The current conditions outside right now must be considered vs doing this crap in the middle of July.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
A realist I see. I agree. The going rate if this is not a regular client would get you about $70 to $75 a yard here assuming it is a smaller job here. Assuming the higher of the two figures given that puts the mulch alone at $112.50. Then assuming the guy has another hour and a half in purchasing the mulch and prepping the bed at $65 a hour you have $210.00 roughly. That is a fair price. Now again if it is a regular customer then maybe go a little higher, call it a convenience charge since they do not have to call someone else and waste it there time.

Any more than that on residential mulch job you are pissing in the wind when there are a million companies here that will do it for $50 a yard. All in all the guy is going to make a little over $50 a hour after the cost of the mulch....which is not bad considering this is not freaking rocket science and most home owners understand that. Especially considering it is not the middle of summer either. The current conditions outside right now must be considered vs doing this crap in the middle of July.
You'd pay $112 for 1.5 yards of red mulch? I must be not following here.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Good point about summer vs. Winter. We can fly through pallets in the winter but come summer, different story.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2012, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
You'd pay $112 for 1.5 yards of red mulch? I must be not following here.
NO, NO, NO

They end price for the customer. I am saying if you charged the customer $75 a yard at the 1.5 yards. Not my cost. My cost is generally in the high $20's for a yard.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

280 would be high in my area. I would say 200.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
NO, NO, NO

They end price for the customer. I am saying if you charged the customer $75 a yard at the 1.5 yards. Not my cost. My cost is generally in the high $20's for a yard.
See I don't break it down. I just invoice the whole thing as 1.5 yards of mulch w/prep and install. I did that when I first stated and then the customer wanted to shop my sod price and have me do the install for the labor I put done. I had to explain the whole thing and it blew up in my face pretty much.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I shot the customer a price this morning. I came down to $260.00 for the job. He went for it so I put him on the schedule for tomorrow afternoon.All is good. Then he calls me back around 3pm and cancels. He says he really dosen't have the money right now and he just rents the house. He was going to see if the landlord would pay for it. Oh well,maybe next time.Thanks for all of your input!
Ransomes Bobcat 36" Walkbehind
Encore Pro Series 32" Walkbehind
Yardmachines 22" Pushmower
2 Echo Trimmers
Echo Backpack Blower
Echo Stick Edger
Old 02-21-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdifonzo View Post
Well I shot the customer a price this morning. I came down to $260.00 for the job. He went for it so I put him on the schedule for tomorrow afternoon.All is good. Then he calls me back around 3pm and cancels. He says he really dosen't have the money right now and he just rents the house. He was going to see if the landlord would pay for it. Oh well,maybe next time.Thanks for all of your input!
You will get the next one!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
See I don't break it down. I just invoice the whole thing as 1.5 yards of mulch w/prep and install. I did that when I first stated and then the customer wanted to shop my sod price and have me do the install for the labor I put done. I had to explain the whole thing and it blew up in my face pretty much.
Not sure I would either for something as simple as a mulch job. I was just using those figures for those hear to put in perspective that I felt you suggestion that it might be a little high for our markets current conditions. If you can pull $75 a yard for mulch you are not doing to bad IMHO. Maybe some of you pro-fesh-ional on here can tell me about how that is not enough etc but I agree with you unknown. The price range you gave is reasonable for the work described.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Good point about summer vs. Winter. We can fly through pallets in the winter but come summer, different story.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a really good customer we spread 275 yards of mulch every year. I told them we can either spread it now or in the fall. Doing this in the summer sucks, period. Sometimes you have too but I avoid it if I can. And I'm glad I have built a good enough relationship to be able to have input and not be treated like a slave waiting to be replaced by the next cheapest slave. We ended up doing the job last week.