Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
I have a really good customer we spread 275 yards of mulch every year. I told them we can either spread it now or in the fall. Doing this in the summer sucks, period. Sometimes you have too but I avoid it if I can. And I'm glad I have built a good enough relationship to be able to have input and not be treated like a slave waiting to be replaced by the next cheapest slave. We ended up doing the job last week.
Fl

IMHO Oct or late Sept after the summer rains have stopped is the best time to spread Mulch in our area. My reason is this gives the greater time frame where rain won't wash it a way. It also makes the property look best for our winner Snow Bird / Tourist season.


As for Weed Control in summer. There are just going to be those places you have to Roundup every two weeks because of our heavy rains. However Round Extend or the less expensive Gly Extend I mix myself works great on those areas



.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-22-2012, 03:25 PM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,308
Ya we usually do it in the fall but it wasn't in the budget last year. Tenants not paying dues or mortgages for that matter put a squeeze on the budget. Went from pine bark nuggets to cypress to save a few bucks. Came out good though and was a big improvement from the worn out nuggets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Fl

IMHO Oct or late Sept after the summer rains have stopped is the best time to spread Mulch in our area. My reason is this gives the greater time frame where rain won't wash it a way. It also makes the property look best for our winner Snow Bird / Tourist season.


As for Weed Control in summer. There are just going to be those places you have to Roundup every two weeks because of our heavy rains. However Round Extend or the less expensive Gly Extend I mix myself works great on those areas





.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Ya we usually do it in the fall but it wasn't in the budget last year. Tenants not paying dues or mortgages for that matter put a squeeze on the budget. Went from pine bark nuggets to cypress to save a few bucks. Came out good though and was a big improvement from the worn out nuggets.
Heck, even with cypress that's a nice job. I would love to get one of those per year. Fl-how much did your verticutter cost you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-23-2012, 08:18 AM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Heck, even with cypress that's a nice job. I would love to get one of those per year. Fl-how much did your verticutter cost you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Cypress or pine bark I charged the same for labor so I made the same. It is the lawn solutions (toro) biggest model. I don't remember off hand what I paid, think it was about 4800?? Put a call into ls or toro exmark and I am sure you can find a current price. By the way, this is a great add on service both for your bottom line, to separate yourself, and improve your customers lawns by reducing thatch. Do one job get three more on the street.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Cypress or pine bark I charged the same for labor so I made the same. It is the lawn solutions (toro) biggest model. I don't remember off hand what I paid, think it was about 4800?? Put a call into ls or toro exmark and I am sure you can find a current price. By the way, this is a great add on service both for your bottom line, to separate yourself, and improve your customers lawns by reducing thatch. Do one job get three more on the street.
I just picked up another zoysia lawn and am bidding on one as well. The more I keep picking up, the more I am considering purchasing one. It's such a hard sell on St Augustine though. Even on my higher end customers I just don't see them biting on it, whereas the zoysia and Bermuda lawns know it is part of the game....I also want to buy a topsresser down the road as well....
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-23-2012, 10:24 AM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
I just picked up another zoysia lawn and am bidding on one as well. The more I keep picking up, the more I am considering purchasing one. It's such a hard sell on St Augustine though. Even on my higher end customers I just don't see them biting on it, whereas the zoysia and Bermuda lawns know it is part of the game....I also want to buy a topsresser down the road as well....
Posted via Mobile Device
Ninety percent of my thatch jobs are on sa lawns. They are usually overwatered and over fertilized and almost always benefit from verti cutting.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Ninety percent of my thatch jobs are on sa lawns. They are usually overwatered and over fertilized and almost always benefit from verti cutting.
Fl

I have seen your correct verticutting and know you even had a special Reel made for SA. Most people who verticut butcher the yard by trying to remove too much thatch. I believe Ifas.fla.edu./ has proper verticutting direction.

BUT MY MAIN POINT HERE IS. Proper cultural and chemical practise must be followed if the yard is to stay healthy. 99% of the time I see the same people over watering and the Lawn goes right back to what it was before the Verticut.


.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Ninety percent of my thatch jobs are on sa lawns. They are usually overwatered and over fertilized and almost always benefit from verti cutting.
I'm sure, it's just a harder sell here for your average middle of the road customer. FYI- the zoysia lawns I have are cut with a reel at 1.25 inches or less.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Ninety percent of my thatch jobs are on sa lawns. They are usually overwatered and over fertilized and almost always benefit from verti cutting.
Bryan,

As you know we have been discussing this and I am doing my first property tomorrow. Will let you know, but I do not remember if I told you or not the other day, the fert company for the customer we are doing tomorrow said when I called them to let them know the lawn was getting verticut that if I want they have a stack of work for me as no one is offering it around here. I think with your help I may have found a nice little extra bump in income if I continue to get fair prices for this. The one tomorrow is a little less than 6k and is bringing in $400. If it takes no longer than what you have informed me that is a very profitable little gig. As discussed the Zoysia lawns we have around here maintained at 4 inches are great candidates also.
Thanks again for your input and guidance through this first verticut.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-23-2012, 04:17 PM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,308
That's really great......hate to say I told you so....but.....I told you once people know you do it, you will sell a lot of it because no one else is doing it AND it is truly beneficial.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Bryan,

As you know we have been discussing this and I am doing my first property tomorrow. Will let you know, but I do not remember if I told you or not the other day, the fert company for the customer we are doing tomorrow said when I called them to let them know the lawn was getting verticut that if I want they have a stack of work for me as no one is offering it around here. I think with your help I may have found a nice little extra bump in income if I continue to get fair prices for this. The one tomorrow is a little less than 6k and is bringing in $400. If it takes no longer than what you have informed me that is a very profitable little gig. As discussed the Zoysia lawns we have around here maintained at 4 inches are great candidates also.
Thanks again for your input and guidance through this first verticut.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 PM.

Page generated in 0.06944 seconds with 7 queries