Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney3223 View Post
Did you get them to print the indicia and label and all that?
Yup I just included it in the design I sent them. Came to me all ready to mail out.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro36 View Post
I ordered 2500 of them from gotprint.com. They only cost me $190 for the postcards plus shipping. I plan on mailing out 1500 of them right away and I will send out the remainer to some of the same addresses mid april. I am hoping I will get about a 1% response rate from these but we will have to see. I will let everyone know how it works out.
Did you go with 6.5x8? I didn't see that option on there website
Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Did you go with 6.5x8? I didn't see that option on there website
They have it listed as a 8 x 6.5
Old 03-10-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeereguy View Post
I am trying this for the first time. I will be sending them out around April 1. We are ordering 3000 from Plan-it graphics. Hoping for a 1% return. We will see
With direct mail, you're going to be seeing response rates more like .2% - .5%. I mail close to 100k cards a year and have never seen a response rate (meaning signed up customers) about .6% and that one just happened to be timed perfectly.

Repetition is critical in direct mail, response rates tend to increase for the 2nd and 3rd mailings (within 2 - 3 weeks of each other) and then fall back off.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm mailing out around 20k but it's going to be throughout the Spring. We're going to hit my hometown 2k in a week, then repeat in 2 weeks etc.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post

Repetition is critical in direct mail, response rates tend to increase for the 2nd and 3rd mailings (within 2 - 3 weeks of each other) and then fall back off.
I agree. It's better to mail to a smaller target multiple times than to mail to a larger target fewer times.

People are more likely to view more favorable a brand they've seen more often and are more familiar with.

People are more likely to remember shorter messages over a longer period of time than they are to remember longer messages over a shorter time.

It's unlikely that your message will reach the customer exactly when they need your service. Multiple postings to a smaller audience more frequently improves the chances that your message will be seen at the right moment.

I think it just makes more sense to concentrate on a smaller audience than to target a too large audience.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have the time, and don't mind spending a little more money, multiple small mailings are the way to go. Don't have to worry about being swamped with work all at one time either. www.taradel.com/eddm is a good place to get work done was well.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well the first round of 1300 got me 5 calls. It led to 1 cleanup, 2 bids for weelky maintenance, and one bid on a 10k+ landscaping job.

I got the cleanup and 1 of the lawns. The other had somebody who doesnt pay taxes doing it and said they would continue. I still working on the big job. The people were a bit sitcker shocked but still interested.

Round 2 goes out monday or tuesday.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the update Metro36!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I sent out 10,000 total pieces of paper in (2) 5,000 mailings. I would say i got a total of 30 calls off the whole deal. Most were for spraying or mulch/ clean ups when I targeted mowing. Not saying it was a bad deal but I was really thinking I would receive more calls. I think a few things led to lower numbers. First, the spring came so quick this year it was on us before you knew it and my flyers went out the week we started mowing so people might of already had called a company a week prior to me sending my flyers out and second, it seems more and more are mowing their own yards.

The things I learned about it was I can get the work if I lower my prices some for spraying and such. On the opposite side of it is I can charge a little more for my mulching. I don't think it was a waste because now 5,000 houses seen my name two times. It's all about building recognition for a new business as I am only in year 2 of business.

One thing to consider is call your post office you plan on using. Ask if they accept larger amounts of bundles besides 50 pieces. I had one of the post offices I used call me and ask for my input on how things when and she said they actually accept bundles of 100 and sometimes even bigger if you make arrangements with the office. This would help from having to make so many pointless 50 piece bundles.