Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2012, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought a used Centri for 500.00

It's going to need a new pump. Has anyone used this one from TSC?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/high-fl...5#BVRRWidgetID

I also need to patch a hole in the tank. A new tank is 180.00 Wow!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure the one gpm pump is strong enough. I think I would go with the 2gpm pump, just to be sure.

You don't want to risk not having enough pressure if the battery is slightly low or the pump gets a bit worn next year.

I did buy a pump from TSC 2 years ago--but I don't recall if it was 1 or 1.8 gpm. Brand was "High-Flo", otherwise very similar. Cost was around $65.
Here is the pic before installation.
http://lawnsite.com/album.php?albumid=49&pictureid=324

Last edited by RigglePLC; 02-21-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: add link
Old 02-21-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply and that is what I'm going to do once I determine this is bad. The FloJet that is on the unit has an on/off switch to it. Don't know if the previous owner ever messed with it. There were also two cut leads on the bottom that are different than the other main leads running to the switch. This may have been a fuse assembly at one time according to the parts breakout. I wonder where I could find a wiring diagram for this.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I think there is a switch on the back. Also the extra wire...I think it holds a fuse and connects to a pressure limit switch...possibly cuts it off if pressure exceeds 35,(Not likely).

I just read a review at the TSC site. He indicates satisfied, but mentioned that the clear gel cover over the switch degraded and let water enter--and it immediately failed...so...seal up the switch with silicone.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 02-21-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-21-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are a lot of tank-making companies-you might be able to find one--but you need a fairly big hatch--an agricultural tank. Not cheap.

How do you intend to fix the tank? Small hole--big hole? Can you install a valve and just close or plug the valve? Get a plastic welder? I have had fairly good luck with silicone and with Gorilla Glue.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Yes, I think there is a switch on the back. Also the extra wire...I think it holds a fuse and connects to a pressure limit switch...possibly cuts it off if pressure exceeds 35,(Not likely).

I just read a review at the TSC site. He indicates satisfied, but mentioned that the clear gel cover over the switch degraded and let water enter--and it immediately failed...so...seal up the switch with silicone.
The cover on this one was real cloudy so maybe that had something to do with it failing???

If I get the 2 gal pump, would that effect my flow or will it stay the same due to the fixed nozzle calibration?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
There are a lot of tank-making companies-you might be able to find one--but you need a fairly big hatch--an agricultural tank. Not cheap.

How do you intend to fix the tank? Small hole--big hole? Can you install a valve and just close or plug the valve? Get a plastic welder? I have had fairly good luck with silicone and with Gorilla Glue.
My plan to save the tank is to somehow seal the front holes. The holes are the old grommets for the tank mount bolts. The rear tank grommets look like they could use a little attention also. I could actually use the front mounts if I went with a system of rubber washers and mount the bolts and squeeze them closed and seal. I might try to find a chemical resistant and waterproof epoxy. I've used amazing goop before and that stuff is what it says it is. I might just squeeze that in there and be able to call it a day.

I'm hoping to be on the road with my first PG for a few bucks more than the cost of a new push and backpack.......going to 40 acres this year. I need it!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you can fix that tank. Myself I think I would build a bracket and pad it with soft rubber. And go over the top with nylon straps to hold it in place.
Somebody must make a square tank that would fit.

The pressure is fixed by the valve on the return line that releases excess pressure back into the tank. Fixed at about 10 pounds. However, I think a pressure gauge is a wise investment. How many gpm is the standard pump?
Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

1 gpm pump is all you need on a Centri. I am not certain if you put a larger pump on a Centri if it will give you any benefit or not. I know a Mag uses a 2 gpm pump.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 02-23-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I hope you can fix that tank. Myself I think I would build a bracket and pad it with soft rubber. And go over the top with nylon straps to hold it in place.
Somebody must make a square tank that would fit.

The pressure is fixed by the valve on the return line that releases excess pressure back into the tank. Fixed at about 10 pounds. However, I think a pressure gauge is a wise investment. How many gpm is the standard pump?
I guess we have a plumbers putty at the shop that I'm told will seal the tank no problem and I'll do like you said and just strap er down. I did find some tanks online but I really think I can fix it for nothing.