Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Best Strategy for RETENTION during a buyout

I'm in the midst of buying out a mowing route and was curious what others have found to be the most beneficial way to retain as many clients as possible.

Initially, the seller has agreed to mow the route once with me to make me familiar with everything. The seller will also introduce me to all of the clients (most of which are clients of 7 years of his) in the short future afterwards before turning them over to me for good.

Any ideas here that y'all have found to be the most effective?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

do a fantastic job,and you will have no problems .
Old 02-21-2012, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd28619 View Post
I'm in the midst of buying out a mowing route and was curious what others have found to be the most beneficial way to retain as many clients as possible.

Initially, the seller has agreed to mow the route once with me to make me familiar with everything. The seller will also introduce me to all of the clients (most of which are clients of 7 years of his) in the short future afterwards before turning them over to me for good.

Any ideas here that y'all have found to be the most effective?
How about a non compete clause where he will not start another buisness for 5 years that will complete against you.

Then make sale price based on that you will only pay the full agreed on price if the customers stay with you for the whole season. If not work out a prorated agreement.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Start by making sure you and him talk to each client in person to let them know about the change and assure them that the transition will be smooth and seamless. Make sure they have all the new contact information for you. That's the absolute best way to ensure they understand what is going on and are in agreement with keeping their business with you. As far as making sure you C.Y.A. when you actually hand over money, make sure there is recourse available to you in the event that a client changes their mind for any other reason than crappy work.