Register free!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Alan,

Thanks for the lengthy explanation. I am decently versed on the technology of LED and the color vs. output battle. I was merely asking a personal opinion of the readers if they consider 3000k warm white, since that is what most (but not all) LED manufacturers list as their warm white color temp.

And David, I agree with SMLL in terms of both his color and quality statements about the Illumicare.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes
Old 02-24-2012, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundfxlandscape View Post
Are you serious Illumicare that is the worse looking LED that I have seen by anyone. I don't know if I would be telling anyone about that thing. I would keep that on the DL. I am a huge Unique guy and I would take a serious look at the new Flex LED retro fits from Unique. Hands down the best LED on the market today, and the pricing is outstanding. The bulb is a 2W 200 Lumen and a CCT (Correlated Color Temperature) rating of 3000K. It has a an L70 of 20,000 hrs. and 2 year warranty. It's rated as if you ran the thing straight for 2 two years 24/7. It realistically should last about 6-8 years. It has a CRI (Color Rendering Index) index of 84 with halogen being the reference at 100. Most LED's have a CRI rating of 75. It has a voltage rating from 10-18V. It has been LM-80 and LM-79 thermally tested which proves that it can thermally manage the heat and run properly. I know I sound like a rep., but I just came off a Home and Garden show where I have pushing the thing for the past ten days. If Unique will stamp their name on the thing than that is good enough for me. Toro sought out the best LED people in the country to put this thing together so it is not been willy nillied together. I will step down from my soap box now, but hopefully that helps. Unique has all the info on their website under the FLEX tab.
ground fx I'm on my phone so I can not tell how long you have been here. Or where you are from. But I would like to know what makes it the worlds worst led YOU'VE ever seen???

Please let me know so I can go and change out the 400 plus minis I have in the field to unqiues led.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2012, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I would like to say that was a slightly harsh comment on my part about the Illumicare LED, but it's my opinion. You don't have to agree, and it's probably a great product. I was only commenting on the looks of the bulb. It is my opinion that it is awkward looking by appearance only. I wasn't attacking the man or the company. It was just my initial reaction just like seeing someone’s ugly baby pictures in the break room. Just warn a man before you spring that on him. It may be the ugly duckling that turns out to be a swan. I'm sorry!

I know that the LED is considered white at 3000K. I also know that it looks great in a Unique fixture, but it's surrounded by a frosted lens. So the appearance may be slightly softened. I believe the reason for the cooler LED was to get greater lumens out of the bulb as stated above. Their other bulbs are a true 2700K, 3000K, 50000k. I have placed the 3000k bi-pen next to a 2700K MR-16 without any problems, and I'm super picky.

I know it's a great product because I have used it. I just wanted to point David in a positive direction. I would love to hear what other great products are out there. So if anyone has tried another great product let’s discuss it. That's why we are all here. I want to use the best and right now I believe that is Unique. I would love for someone to hook me on to something better if it’s out there. I just haven't seen anything better in the way of retro fit bulbs at this time.

Now for the comment on the bulb life I believe they rated it for what they did, because I think they wanted to be realistic on its life. Most bulbs are rated strictly off the LED manufacture specs. A lot of good that does if lighting companies aren’t relating it to heat and the other components of the LED. LED manufactures have been blurring ratings for years. It should feel refreshing that a company is being honest about the rating, and it should last 3-5 times the warranty when you look at actual time running (6-8 hrs. avg. per day). Before you make an opinion one way or the other look up the retail price of the bulb.

People in this forum have a tendency to take things way to personal. People are just stating what they know and have found. No one is saying take my word for gospel. It’s just one man’s opinion and nothing more.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundfxlandscape View Post
I would like to say that was a slightly harsh comment on my part about the Illumicare LED, but it's my opinion. You don't have to agree, and it's probably a great product. I was only commenting on the looks of the bulb. It is my opinion that it is awkward looking by appearance only. I wasn't attacking the man or the company. It was just my initial reaction just like seeing someoneís ugly baby pictures in the break room. Just warn a man before you spring that on him. It may be the ugly duckling that turns out to be a swan. I'm sorry!

I know that the LED is considered white at 3000K. I also know that it looks great in a Unique fixture, but it's surrounded by a frosted lens. So the appearance may be slightly p. I believe the reason for the cooler LED was to get greater lumens out of the bulb as stated above. Their other bulbs are a true 2700K, 3000K, 50000k. I have placed the 3000k bi-pen next to a 2700K MR-16 without any problems, and I'm super picky.

I know it's a great product because I have used it. I just wanted to point David in a positive direction. I would love to hear what other great products are out there. So if anyone has tried another great product letís discuss it. That's why we are all here. I want to use the best and right now I believe that is Unique. I would love for someone to hook me on to something better if itís out there. I just haven't seen anything better in the way of retro fit bulbs at this time.

Now for the comment on the bulb life I believe they rated it for what they did, because I think they wanted to be realistic on its life. Most bulbs are rated strictly off the LED manufacture specs. A lot of good that does if lighting companies arenít relating it to heat and the other components of the LED. LED manufactures have been blurring ratings for years. It should feel refreshing that a company is being honest about the rating, and it should last 3-5 times the warranty when you look at actual time running (6-8 hrs. avg. per day). Before you make an opinion one way or the other look up the retail price of the bulb.

People in this forum have a tendency to take things way to personal. People are just stating what they know and have found. No one is saying take my word for gospel. Itís just one manís opinion and nothing more.
its just weird that you would maKe such a statement about a whole line of products that you have never used..... Your going off "looks" . I will get a hold of some of the unique led and test them.

As far as the looks of the retro I guess it looks weird. But if people can see my lamps I have a bigger problem then the looks.

Actually the larger bi pin fits in a coppermoon cm895. Which is my go to second story fixture
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So right now we are looking at illumicare's, Landscape lighting worlds, and uniques. anybody have any experience with anything else? I may go ahead and grab a few off ebay just to try, and yes, before you guys go bazonkers, I am aware of all the other guys doing heatsinking, moisture environment, etc, but this is a test. You put them out here and see how they do in real time and I report back.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi David,

Please take a look at Brilliance LED. We have a great IP67 1.1w bi-pin. Here is the link: http://www.brillianceled.com/Brillia...tDec2010-2.pdf

I have personally put ours up against a Unique 20w AstroBrite lamp and the clients could not see any difference.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Sponsor

Steve,

I like the Brilliance products and that bipin design in particular (for its IP rating and omni direction output). The problem for me was the lumens (85 lumens). To put it in perspective we have a 250 lumen lamp and we equate it to a 20w halogen and a 190 lumen bi pin that we call a 15w equivalent. 85 lumens under any circumstance will not replicate the illumination of a 20w halogen. If the lumens could get over 200, it would be a winner but at 85 I would have a hard time classifying it as a 10 w equivalent.
(813) 978-3700
alanb@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Factory Direct Outdoor Lighting
Old 02-25-2012, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After reading this complete thread I find it kinda funny that so many of you are actually having a debate on who's product is the best.
As lighting designers, a light source is only a tool in our tool belt and it really depends on what your trying to illuminate that determines what light source you are going to use. Trying to maintain an optimum 3 to 1 ratio throughout your compositions and determining the reflectance of the things that you are trying to illuminate cannot be completed with one lamp or one LED.
Obtaining light samples and testing them yourself is the only way you are going to make an informed decision.
The problem that I have found with the "new" LED source is that you have to do a lot of testing and look at all the information that each and every manufacturer is providing. First of all, most of the specifications and information provided is different with every manufacturer as there is not a current standard that they are following. Some provide lumen output, lumen's, CBCP, temperature colour that is not the same even though two products will say 3000K, but when you put them on a wall one will be more white and the other is more of a pink colour.
Are they engineered for the application of being outside and inside an enclosed fixture as this will certainly determine the life expectancy and your bottom line especially if they start failing early.The worst is that in two years or less, technology is going to change and those products will be replaced with newer more powerful versions. Its going to be a while before this all settles down.
To each his/her own, because at the end of the day its you the designer that needs to artistically create a design that works using the many different light sources that are available and most importantly keeping your clients happy.
I am not happy that in this thread, some manufacturers are comparing their products with others and stating from specifications that one is better or has brighter lumen output than the other. Every manufacturer develops products to provide us with more tools in our tool pouch and its up to us to decide which one works for us and for each of our projects.
I say enough and get out of the habit of comparing LED lamps as being equivalent to a Halogen source because they are not the same in any way.
If you want to do the industry a favor provide us end users with well informed specifications that are done using the same testing standards across the board. Providing the end user with as much information as possible and explaining your specifications as to where your product can be used will be helpful as well. I want to know that it can go in any enclosed fixture, or that it can be submerged. This usually is provided by IP ratings or standards through some type of listing such as UL, or CSA etc.
Just my couple of cents today.
Light it up.

Ken
Member of ILLI, , LO
Old 02-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Sponsor

Interesting to hear about Unique's claim for L70 of 20,000 hrs. Sounds like they are being very honest about what a 20 or 35W equivalent retrofit can do in an enclosed fixture.

This number is in line with what our engineers estimate for all LED MR-16 retrofits considering the extreme high temperatures and poor thermal transfer in enclosed fixtures.

You also have to be concerned with how these high temperatures affect the phosphor coating - increasing color temperature as they age.

High temperatures also reduce lumen output as they heat (this is apart from how the high temps reduce L70).

This is why we believe that for consumers to get the maximum long-term benefits of LED technology they need to invest in solutions where LED's have a good thermal path to the fixture body.

I understand the need for retrofits to replace lamps in existing fixtures, but I hope that as lighting professionals we are encouraging homeowners to replace their fixtures with integrated LED models when a good retrofit solution is not available. And, for new installations, making integrated fixtures the first choice.

For those who want to learn more about our reasoning, I suggest you download our hour-long LED webinar (if you haven't already done so) - just register and log in through our website and you can download the webinar.

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Professional Quality at a Great Price
Old 02-25-2012, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Steve, I am not finding the LED webinar under "learning" and "webinars."
What might I be doing wrong?

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."