Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry night View Post
Steve, I am not finding the LED webinar under "learning" and "webinars."
What might I be doing wrong?
Phil you need to first register then log in - the webinar is password-protected.

You'll find those links in the upper left-hand corner of the website.

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Professional Quality at a Great Price
Old 02-25-2012, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparrott View Post
Phil you need to first register then log in - the webinar is password-protected.

You'll find those links in the upper left-hand corner of the website.
Maybe I need to re-register because I have moved and have a different email address.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 02-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry night View Post
Maybe I need to re-register because I have moved and have a different email address.
Yes, you do.

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Old 02-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emby View Post
If you want to do the industry a favor provide us end users with well informed specifications that are done using the same testing standards across the board. Providing the end user with as much information as possible and explaining your specifications as to where your product can be used will be helpful as well. I want to know that it can go in any enclosed fixture, or that it can be submerged. This usually is provided by IP ratings or standards through some type of listing such as UL, or CSA etc.
Just my couple of cents today.
Light it up.

Ken
Thanks Ken. At Illumicare we have always provided our customers with all of the specifications and photometrics for our LED lamp products. http://www.illumicaregroup.com/2012/...ed-mr16-lamps/ Is just one example of the level of detailed specifics we provide.

Also we have recently submitted all of our lamp products to a certified independent testing lab so that we can participate in the Lighting Facts label program. If you do not know about Lighting Facts, please check out the program here: http://www.lightingfacts.com/ We believe that the Lighting Facts label program will help to level the playing field and provide customers with most of the information they require to quickly compare and contrast the lamp products from different manufacturers.

We continue to submit all of our lamps to vigorous testing and sampling protocols and stand behind the L70 and performance data that we publish. We are not simply taking performance data from the chip manufacturers and extending it to our lamp products.

In regards to some people's concerns that our miniature LED lamps "look funny", well perhaps to some they do. But they have been designed, tested and field tested to perform splendidly and fit properly. They are still the only full line of miniature led lamps that have been specifically designed for moist environments and enclosed fixtures, come with fully encapsulated drivers and unique heat sinks to properly manage the heat produced from the HO SMD Chips. Available in SCB, S8 Wedge, T5 Wedge, G5.3 and G4 BiPin; with fantastic output, colour rendition and lamp life.

We have heard many requests for a warmer colour temperature for the miniature lamps and are currently in development of a new line that will be 2700K which will more closely emulate the colour temperatures of xenon lamps. We hope to be able to make these available in Spring 2012.

It is possible to create a line of effective, efficient, high output, long life, moisture resistant, thermally managed LED lamps. You just have to take the time and expense to design, engineer and thoroughly test them for the applications in which they will be used.

Providing you with the best outdoor LED lamps
designed for the Landscape Lighting Industry.

http://www.illumicaregroup.com/
Old 02-28-2012, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I really appreciate all the responses and information. I will be ordering and placing retrofit bulbs in pahlights and take photos and report back on them from time to time. while I agree that all bulbs-led, incan, xenon or halogen or what, - may serve a purpose for some application, the purpose of my testing will be to see which retrofit works best for a pathlight when comparing it to 20w halogen or 20 watt xenon. next to a 20 watt halogen 60 degree mr-16 bullet bulb, that is my 2nd most common installation. color, brightness, and life of bulb are the major criteria. Feel free to chime in here if you guys have any other bulbs you reccomend for testing.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
...Feel free to chime in here if you guys have any other bulbs you reccomend for testing.
David, have you seen CAST's retrofit module for our path lights. Module is secured under hat - direct thermal path through module casting and fixture body and hat - also enclosed in borosilicate glass. Has a beautiful wide beam, brighter than our incandescent version, 2,700K, 60,000 hr. L70. Driver is mounted under module fully encapsulated in thermally conductive epoxy. Also available in turtle-safe amber. 8v to 18v input, surge and spike protection, EMI filtering.
Attached Images

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Old 02-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
...and life of bulb are the major criteria.
Of course you know you won't be able to test lamp life - nor trust what the mfg. reports (in most cases).

If you're testing MR-16's, be sure to project them on a white board and look for evenness of color across the beam. Be on the lookout for pink or green tints (a sign that the chip is far off the black-body locus - poor binning). Also look at the edges of the beam for brownish color (a sign that chips have low quality phosphor coatings). Also check for evenness of illuminance, some lamps project unwanted hot-spots or striations (signs of poor optics).

If you can, you should check for EMI problems. Set the fixture near a garage and try the garage door opener remote near the fixture.

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Old 02-29-2012, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparrott View Post
David, have you seen CAST's retrofit module for our path lights. Module is secured under hat - direct thermal path through module casting and fixture body and hat - also enclosed in borosilicate glass. Has a beautiful wide beam, brighter than our incandescent version, 2,700K, 60,000 hr. L70. Driver is mounted under module fully encapsulated in thermally conductive epoxy. Also available in turtle-safe amber. 8v to 18v input, surge and spike protection, EMI filtering.
Ive seen the module in person. Have also tested one. I just hope the Di electric on the s8 socket last as long as the LED driver
Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Steve- I will be testing bulb life much like I have tested bulb life of mr16 LED retrofits in the past. I put in the retrofit in a brass/bronze fixture, and burn it outside here in Arkansas until it fails. I compare it color wise and by brightness new and over time with a new 20 watt halogen bulb at 11volts. all the LED retrofits that I tested 4 years ago failed completely. If all the ones I test this time around on paths are still perfect after 4 years, that is still a result I think folks will want to hear about. I could be wrong, but I have a strong feeling that won't be the case.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post
Ive seen the module in person. Have also tested one. I just hope the Di electric on the s8 socket last as long as the LED driver
The grease we (and others) use (Sanchem No-oxID) is well known as for its exceptional long-term stability and corrosion prevention properties.

As for our S8 sockets, even when used with prolonged exposure to the extreme temperatures of halogen lamps, failures are extremely rare.

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com