Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Prank calls/scam emails

Lately I have been getting a ton of spam emails and prank phone calls.

Today I received an email with an address for the estimate and a name and phone number but the name didn't match the email name so I was skeptical about it. I always look via google earth pro or findlotsize.com before even riding out to a property. The address showed as a neighborhood entrance so I tried calling the guy and he did answer but had no idea why a lawn care guy was calling him.

I explained I received an email and he apologized and said it was someone playing a prank on him.

I've received other prank calls and emails as well but people seriously should quit wasting my time and they need to get off the computer chair and do something with their life!

The sad thing is a few of the calls/emails are from other lawn care guys in my area. Its just sad that they are wasting time playing pranks on business's trying to make money.

I was just wondering if anyone else has to deal with stuff like this.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I get prank calls on a regular basis, none of them have been work related but they all started after my number was published in the yellowbook. Also getting between 7-10 solicitors a day calling. Its aggravating, but what can you really do?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get a ton of solicitors as well but like you said theres not much to do about it. I just cant believe other lawn guys have enough time on their hands to prank. If im not out working im putting fliers out or trying to get more clients and of course learn as much as I can about turf care.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm pretty sure some of the prank calls I get are coming from competitors. I also believe some of these types of guys flag ads on Craigs list,
which gets the add
automatically removed.

Also, I just tuned up the perameters on my blog so that the spam would stop. I was getting at least 150 spam a day.

I really hate when I get phone calls on my cell from call centres in India.

On the other hand, I just got off of an e-mail sent from a customer in Hong Kong. It took a minute to get to me from there.

Last edited by Dr.NewEarth; 02-21-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Go Canucks Go
Old 02-21-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NewEarth View Post
I'm pretty sure some of the prank calls I get are coming from competitors. I also believe some of these types of guys flag ads on Craigs list,
which gets the add
automatically removed.

Also, I just tuned up the perameters on my blog so that the spam would stop. I was getting at least 150 spam a day.

I really hate when I get phone calls on my cell from call centres in India.
It sound like you get the same "competition" pranks that I get.

You know if people have the time to prank their competition that they arent out working!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2012, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds to me like maybe you pissed someone off. Which one of your competitors have you had a run-in with lately?

Because one prank call is normal. Having multiple over and over again is someone who is motivated. It's not like people just prank call the same business over and over again for fun. It's just not that fun. I grew up doing stupid stuff like that because we lived in small hick town with nothing to do and my head wasn't screwed on straight back then. I know from personal experience, it's not really very fun unless you actually get to talk with someone live and hear them after you prank them. To just go to a website and mess with some company over and over again just isn't entertaining.

So I'd bet big money it's a competitor. And I'd also bet that it's one who doesn't like you, specifically, for some reason. Otherwise, why spend all that much time doing this when it doesn't really provide any entertainment value? It's only entertaining if afterwards you're like, "See! That's what those guys deserve! Screw them for stealing my customer!" or something like that.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon