Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Sales Calls?

I was wondering how many of you out there make "Sales Calls" to current customers at the beginning of each season.

I usually send out a brief letter to all of my customers telling them when I will be starting with weekly mowing, fertilization, cleanups etc. But what I have found is a lot of people just go with what they had for services previous years.

I am pushing dethatching now because I own a dethatcher now as opposed to having to run around like an idiot renting one which drew me away from wanting to do it (Profit was low), also some of my customers wait until late in the spring to call about cleanups and bark mulch plantings etc. when I am in weekly cutting mode as opposed to spring project mode.

So my idea was to call all of my customers to check in and push those services, I don't want to look like a used car salesman but these services are beneficial to their properties.

Also this would be a good way to break it to them that because of rising fuel prices unfortunately I will be making a small increase in weekly mowing rates even though I really don't want to have to do that.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No offense is meant by this but I think it depends on your personality and people skills.

Some.... sales people... just creep me out!!! Others come across like friends.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend mentioning in your letter that you will be offering this new service this year and how it benefits their lawn. If they do not respond to it then I would suggest when you see them discuss it with them if it is something the property defintely needs.

As far as the fuel price increase I would also suggest you mention it in your letter to them. I would also make sure you have a clause in your agreement that dicusses the possibility of a fuel surcharge when fuel prices rise above a certain amount.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have to sell my fert/squirt .. worked good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

If I mention it in my letter, both the new services and the price increase I feel like people have more opportunity to one, not hear me out on the price increase and just skip read the letter and cancel my service, which I can't afford to have happen. And its hard to sell the benefits of dethatching and aerating in a short sweet letter. I have no interest in selling a novel.