Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is probably the 10th thread I've read on this subject in the last few years. Nothing wrong with that, but what amazes me is how many people are "penny wise, pound foolish".

I'm guessing that in virtually every lawncare business in the US, large or small, the cost, percentage-wise, of 2 cycle oil is pretty miniscule. In other words, how much actual money can you save going cheap? If you are a one man band, the difference between buying a cheap oil at the discount center and going with a premium synthetic is what, maybe 40 or 50 bucks a year? The cheap might be fine, I don't know, but in my opinion, the savings doesn't warrant the risk.

This reminds me of a post several years ago in a thread about trimmer string. A guy said he only "allowed" his trimmer guys to use 1 inch of trimmer string per yard, because it was so expensive. So, you have a guy you are paying $10 per hour worrying about using .001 cents worh of trimmer string?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozyHollow View Post
So the easy way would simply be to get a decent universal mix and run with it...the other way would be to get some top brand mix and mix accordingly.

The one thing I'm concerned with is longevity. I don't want to put crap in my Husky's and eventually wind up "paying" for it. Brand new machines and I just want to really take care of them.
"The other way", is the better choice.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
So the easy way would simply be to get a decent universal mix and run with it...the other way would be to get some top brand mix and mix accordingly.

The one thing I'm concerned with is longevity. I don't want to put crap in my Husky's and eventually wind up "paying" for it. Brand new machines and I just want to really take care of them.
Why do you want to use a cheap, universal oil then? If you're just getting started, go with a brand name oil. I'm with Richard, I use Amsoil in everything mixed at 80:1
Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Amsoil Saber 100:1 2 cycle mixed at 80:1 run it in everything that is 2 cycle that hasn't been modified
Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another vote for amsoil , 80:1
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like most of you really know what you're talking about.

80:1 as opposed to 50:1. Isn't it 50 parts gas to 1 part oil in a 50:1 ratio? And 80 parts gas to 1 part oil in an 80:1 ratio? Well the way I see it is that if you're running 80:1 in 50:1 equipment then you're doing some damage to the equipment even if it's very, very minor. You're robbing your internals by 30 on the lubricant.

Opti-2 overall sounds to be best for me. I mean I could be anal and specifically mix every single piece of equipment I wind up purchasing with the exact ratio specification and have anywhere from 2 to 5 on up fuel cans filled with mix... but a couple veterans here on this thread came out with the Opti-2 suggestion and I think I'm gonna go with that.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I mean I could be anal and specifically mix every single piece of equipment I wind up purchasing with the exact ratio specification and have anywhere from 2 to 5 on up fuel cans filled with mix... but a couple veterans here on this thread came out with the Opti-2 suggestion and I think I'm gonna go with that.
Amsoil is the same way. One mix for everything. Amsoil is a superior lubricant though. That's why you can run it at 100:1 if you desire. And it is causing no, none, zero, nada, zip, damage to my equipment. The leaner ratio allows more RPM and less coking deposits around the rings, valves (Stihl 4 Mix) and exhaust ports. There are no oil deposits left over in exhaust ports, dribbling out of mufflers or fouling up spark plugs.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
...Amsoil is a superior lubricant though.
Really??? Ok, sounds good. I'll have to check it out, thanks!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Really??? Ok, sounds good. I'll have to check it out, thanks!
You may be in Jersey and I may be in North Carolina but I can still feel you blowing smoke up my butt.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You may be in Jersey and I may be in North Carolina but I can still feel you blowing smoke up my butt.
Why's that? Haven't purchased either one yet...truthfully? I'm using up all the Echo universal mix first. Figured what the heck. I ain't rich yet so what's it hurtin? Only have a couple gallon of fuel mix left, meaning a couple gallons of fuel to mix before I'm out.

Tags
gas mix , oil , oil mix , universal , universal oil mix