Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

When buying mower from Craigslist, do I only need a bill of sale?

I am planning on buying a mower from craigslist from and individual. Do I only need to get a bill of sale to prove how much I paid for tax purposes?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A bill of sale with a discription and serial # of the equipment and the name and address of the seller would CYA.

James
Old 02-24-2012, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When I buy something used from a privet party I make sure to get a copy of something that could be used to ID them incase I need to id them later. Such as finding out that the euipment was stolen. I take get a photo copy of their drivers liceanse on the original bill of sale and have them sign that.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There is a website that police use to check if its stolen. If you run it through it will tell you if there is a lien on mower too. Its free for police, but costs us $10 for a responce withine 24 hours and $20 for an hour. I cant member the name of it, but will look at my laptop when i get to shop monday. I run the serial on any mower unless i know them or someone i know know them and said they were good people. You really never know now days. I would hate to take a mower and one day a bank shows up to repo it. Bill of sale still wouldnt help you you would lose your money instantly. Researched and the law doesnt protect you even though its against the law to sell something with a lien on it and not release it within 30 days... its only a civil matter and you know how those usually go!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2012, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
There is a website that police use to check if its stolen. If you run it through it will tell you if there is a lien on mower too. Its free for police, but costs us $10 for a responce withine 24 hours and $20 for an hour. I cant member the name of it, but will look at my laptop when i get to shop monday. I run the serial on any mower unless i know them or someone i know know them and said they were good people. You really never know now days. I would hate to take a mower and one day a bank shows up to repo it. Bill of sale still wouldnt help you you would lose your money instantly. Researched and the law doesnt protect you even though its against the law to sell something with a lien on it and not release it within 30 days... its only a civil matter and you know how those usually go!

Posted via Mobile Device
The bill of sale will help you if the equipment is later tracked to you and you are suspected of possession of stolen equipment, won't protect you 100% but is better than nothing. It will also come in handy if the equipment is seized or repo'd, at least you will have it to prove to the courts what you paid when you go after the seller for reimbursement