Register free!

Old 03-15-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

KK

I don't have any experience with the boxer. I have used MT 52 & 55, s600tx diesel, dingo 425 gas, and I own an sk650. When we were going through the demo process we called boxer to see what they had to offer--due diligence. they didn't get back to us and frankly some of the reviews online seemed mediocre at best. I really would think hard about that--especially since it's gas. Arbor Pro might better be able to speak on this, but I would lean towards the Vermeer or the DW--particularly the DW
Old 03-16-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you plan on using it more than 3000 hours go diesel (good luck with a mini) if not a gas will have plenty of ummph to do the job. You will spend more money on the under carridge than on the engine. Save your money and get a gas

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
KK

I don't have any experience with the boxer.
The only thing I like about the boxer is the models with the High/Low switch. The gasser would go slow and show some torque in low range.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a new 532dx a couple years ago and researching them on paper. Looked like one heck of a machine from the specs. What the paper specs don't tell you is two slightly important things: 1) when you try to operate the drive motors and the loader hydaulics at the same time, they starve one another out. Very annoying when trying to run both simutaneously. 2) even if you did have sufficient hydraulic flow to both the loader and drive motors, it's extremely difficult to run both at the same time due to the configuration of the control handles.

You can get used to the machine enough to appreciate its other features such as hydraulic widening tracks, impressive power and lifting capacity and comfortable ride but that's not enough to compete with the sk650 which exceeds the boxer's shortcomings. If boxer fixes its controls, that alone would make it a much better machine. I just didn't like them at all.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I m with arbor....get a ditch witch....played with mine today in the mud and loved every minute
Old 03-17-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I realy like the adjustable tracks on the boxer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

unless you are doing tons of gated backyards this is simply more moving parts to fail...sometimes simplicity aids ruggedness
Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
unless you are doing tons of gated backyards this is simply more moving parts to fail...sometimes simplicity aids ruggedness
Thts the only reason looked at the boxer. I've been getting a lot of calls for lawn renovations and landscaping in backyards. I'm getting my irrigation lic in a few weeks, so a mini skid will really help
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2012, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Thts the only reason looked at the boxer. I've been getting a lot of calls for lawn renovations and landscaping in backyards. I'm getting my irrigation lic in a few weeks, so a mini skid will really help
Posted via Mobile Device
How wide is the Boxer with the tracks in? I can't remember for certain, but I don't think it's any narrower than a Vermeer, Or Ditch Witch.

Depending on the fence, you can always take out a panel section of the fence and replace it when done. If it's chain-link, then just use a stretcher to replace it when done.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

most of my attachments won't fit through the gate...so if the machine will is a bit of mute point