Register free!

Old 08-26-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow...I have to put that post in my notebook. Thank you. The nozzles I am using are TS Country wide ST 80-01 Orange. The capacity is .09 GPM at 30 PSI and at 5MPH 5.2 GP Acre. so multiplying times 7 heads =35.4 GP acre dispensed. Max shown is .14 GPM @75 PSI or 8.0 GP Acre @ 5MPH.

with a 60 gal tank, I could cover 1.69 acres per tank at the 30 PSI setting. So with 24d applied at 32oz of 24D per acre recommended , I could expect to use 54 1/4 oz per tank as a ballpark mix or conversely 8 GPA * 7nozzles =56 GPA divided by water in tank (60) 56GAL /60*32 = 30.8 Oz of 24D at 75PSI pressure.

I would like to figure the best setting so I don't have half a tank or spray left over and wasted. So somewhere I need to build a calculator (maybe using Excell?) to do a rapid conversion once I run the test at each PSI. Then regardless of what I am spraying all I would have to do is plug in the recommended dose and sq ft to be sprayed.

So.....you are correct....the first item on the agenda is to accurately gage the liquid disbursement per 1000 sq ft , the MPH, and the recommended dose. The RPM has no bearing except to spin the pump and produce sufficient power.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumblefingers View Post
So that would mean devide by 7........right
BTW the chart was Lachler not TeeJet. I guess U are correct as I would never get MPH to exact but if RPM is always the same I would be right provided I always floored the pedal. My Kubota goes 0 to 10.2 MPH per specs and since it has only 2 speeds I am guessing low gear is 5 MPH. The charts show 3,4,5,6 MPH so the results could be very different unless U do the calibration your way. Fluid dynamics can be confusing.
Forget dividing by 7. you are over thinking a simple process. Fill your tank with fresh water and mark the fill mark with a pencil. Now measure a section of the road in front of your house. I use two mail boxes that are 350 ft apart. with a constant Engine RPM and a constant PSI I spray that area with plan water. My sprayer goes 10 ft wide so up and back is 7,000 sq ft I spray with 21 gallons of water or 3 gallons per 1000 sq ft. You need to find how many gallons a thousand your sprayer is putting out. I now know my 150 gallon tank will cover 50,000 sq ft. I multiply 50 time the per thousand rate or Weedar 64 is 1.1 oz or a total of 55 Oz of Weedar 64 in my 150 gallon tank to do approx 1 1/4 acres.

BTW Tweak your RPM and PSI so you have a simple number to work with for calibration. The point being a slight increase in PSI could take you from 0.46 gallons a thousand to 0.5 gallon a thousand.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

you must be using very big nozzles to put out that much water plus high pressure. What nozzles and pressure are U using?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumblefingers View Post
you must be using very big nozzles to put out that much water plus high pressure. What nozzles and pressure are U using?
This unit is a work in progress designed for Fire Ant or Insect control only. So I am forever adding to it. Building a one design sprayer takes some knowledge to do correctly. It also takes some Trail and Error.

Not only big Tee Jet floor jet nozzles but a 25 GPM pump. Below is a Picture taken while I reload the tank. Notice I have 2 nozzles on each side or a total of 4 nozzles each rated @ 2.5 GPM for a total of 10 GPM. Each nozzle sprays 5 ft wide with two nozzles on each side spraying the same area. Therefore I am Spraying approx 10.5 GPM on 3,500sq ft at 4 MPG. Note most nozzles are rated at 40 PSI and by increasing the PSI I get just that little extra flow to make my calibration.

The problem I faced when building this sprayer was getting the proper Nozzles to get the volume I wanted. Fire Ants colonies are subterranean and a light application won't control them. I over sized the Pump so I can add a wider boom. I plan on making a 15 ft wide spray which mean I need right at 16 GPM which my pump can provide. However I am still trying to find boom-less nozzles that have both volume and the width I need for my calibration.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Nice rig. You should be proud.

My rig is standard 3point tractor rig but the only draw back is the long boom (7ft) that attaches to
the frame under the tank saddle with large SS hose clamps.
For storage, I have to remove the boom which is sort of a PITA.

I have looked at the rotory heads but don' think they would give as proper a coverage patter.

I also have a 6' hose and spray gun that curls up ad sits on top so I can stop, shut off the boom and open the valve to the gun and spray fence lines.

With this little rig, I don't have to drag heavy hose to get ito tight places.

Of course the tractor has other uses with a loader, drag harrow, fertalizer spreader, bush hog, box blade, plow, Lift boom.

I am getting lazy so I may add to the 3Pt Pat's quick change attachment
Old 08-27-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I understand the PITA of removing the boom. That is why I am only spraying 10 ft wide instead of 15 ft. I would have to remove or fold a boom up before loading the sprayer on a trailer.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

i found the information of mph per hundred to time in seconds that it takes to travel 100 ft.

2MPH-24Sec
3MPH-23Sec
4MPH-22Sec
5MPH-14Sec(100), 27 Sec (200).41 Sec (300)
6-11
7-9.7
8-8.5
9-7.5
10-6.6

What was interesting was for example the 5 MPH took 27 sec for 200 ft and 41 for 300 ft. All of the rest of the item in the chart was similiar. One would think that for each additional 100 ft the MPH would be a multiple of the 100 but for some unknown reasion it was not.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Above is incorrect
One mph equals 88 feet per minute. Or 100 feet in 68 seconds.
2 mph is 176 feet per minute. Or 100 feet in 34 seconds.
5 mph is 440 feet per minute. Or 100 feet in 13.6 seconds.
So forth.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess we are not clocking race horses

I made a chart in excel and put in a lookup table that will do all the calculations by entering the recommended quaity of juice per acre and the pressure being used and the MPH and it gives me the mix. The table lists the the GPM and GPA per nozzle.

so for instance @30PSIG I will have a calculated disbursement of 36.4 GPA so If I fill the tank to it's full 60 Gal I will need to add 52.75 OZ of 24D. with 7 nozzles (7*5.2)
MPH
GPM. OZMIN PSI 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
0.9, 11, 30, 6.5, 5.2, 4.3, 3.7, 3.2,
0.1, 13, 40, 7.4, 5.9, 5, 4.2, 3.7,
0.11, 14, 50. 8.2, 6.5, 5.4, 4.7. 4.1,
0.12, 15, 60, 8.9, 7.5, 5.9, 5.1, 4.5,
0.14, 17, 75, 10.1, 8, 6.7, 5.8, 5.1,
What I am using is the actual nozzle chart .

the lookup formula in excel was {=VLOOKUP(E15,Table1[[ ]:[10]],G17)} where I put in cell G115 the speed that I wanted to use and in cell, subtracted 2 to get the result in cell G17 and entered in E15 the PSI iwas going to use and then Inserting as a fixed, my tank size, and entered the recommeded product (in this case 32 oz per acre) it does the calculation for me. The rest of the calculations were simple multiply and division problems. (note: 10 in the formula is because I actually had 10 columns of data. (9 and 10 mph).

With this method I should be able to expand thee spread sheet and put in recommended solutions of whatever I am using and not spend all day doing math. This may be overkill but I want to spray a number of different products.

I wish I could afford a Stainless Steel pump as the standard cast Iron and Nitril pumps are not recommennded for Roundup.

Last edited by fumblefingers; 08-29-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

mix spreadsheet

You are on the right track Fumble--but wrong generation. I am more used to stubby pencil and calculator. Big buttons for my eyesight.

So true you need to make up a spreadsheet for your setup and for each product you plan to use.

Perhaps a seperate Excel sheet for 1 ounce per thousand sq ft, 1.1 ounce and 1.5 ounces per thousand sqft. And for each gallon water fill needed perhaps in 5 gal increments. And show the area covered with the known amount of solution.

Keep the pressure the same as soon as you find a pressure that suits your needs and you calibrate with water using that same pressure. Same speed, also. Calibrate so that you always apply between 100 and 110 percent of the amount you intended. Time consuming--but its the only way to be professional about it. Once you have it dialed in...the rest is easy and quick.

Are you using a roller pump? You can probably get away with a few sprays using Roundup, but I suspect it is acidic and causes rust, and you may need to rinse it out and clean your rig with tank cleaner and neutralizing solution. But I am guessing--others with actual experience can better advise you.