Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone in the Gulf Breeze, Navarre area?

I am just starting out this year would like to know if anyone in my area has any pointers or could give me an idea on fair pricing.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not from your area but I can tell you this.... as cheaply as possible. Anything below $40/month is hitting the sweet spot....

Here's a few more pro-tips to remember:

• Cut SA as low as possible. It looks good and you won't have to cut as often.
  • Sharp blades are a myth. Once a month touch ups suffices.
  • Always blow leaves/debris onto beds and grass clippings on the street.
  • Never edge with an edger. A string trimmer is faster and does a better job.
  • Licenses are for suckers. That's why you can buy as much Gly as you want at JD and they'll never ask you for one.
  • Always, always try to undercut your competitors. Market share = profits.
  • Professional equipment is expensive and over-rated. All you need is available for you at the HD.
  • Try to get as many palm/tree trimming jobs as possible. It's so easy, a monkey can do it.
  • If you ever land any mulch work, the objective is to sprinkle as little as possible. Just enough to cover the old mulch. That way you can charge less and get more jobs.
  • And finally, whatever you do, always, always maintain a minimum hourly rate.... even if you're unemployed and only have five accounts. You wouldn't want to cheat yourself....

Now, go and become a millionaire.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post

I'm not from your area but I can tell you this.... as cheaply as possible. Anything below $40/month is hitting the sweet spot....

• Licenses are for suckers. That's why you can buy as much Gly as you want at JD and they'll never ask you for one.
  • Professional equipment is expensive and over-rated. All you need is available for you at the HD.
  • Try to get as many palm/tree trimming jobs as possible. It's so easy, a monkey can do it.
  • If you ever land any mulch work, the objective is to sprinkle as little as possible. Just enough to cover the old mulch. That way you can charge less and get more jobs.
  • And finally, whatever you do, always, always maintain a minimum hourly rate.... even if you're unemployed and only have five accounts. You wouldn't want to cheat yourself....

Great advice T. You really set this guy up for success. Don't forget that every tree and shrub should be formed into a ball, it is just more professional that way. Now that he is all caught up on how to be a real professional maybe he can join you in the political forums T?

Any we wonder why members only tend to lurk at the FL forum instead of participating.....I can not understand why as we are all Angels here and full of helpful information!

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just trying to save the kid some time.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Just trying to save the kid some time.

Well in that case tell him which is better Stihl or Echo. Which backpack blower is the best. Don't forget to tell him all the uses of Amsoil and Fluid Film. By the time it is all over T you and I are going to have him educated for real.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

i like echo more i used it before and loved it, honda push and im not educated on z turns. To start i got just a troy bult with a honda 6.75 non-self pro. with a troy bult trimmer with easy link and a troy built backpack blower and ramps the mower i got used for 75 bucks the trimmer and back pack i got new its not the greatest but will work till i can get echo

oh and my starting price is 30 for cut edge blow figured that should be good on smaller jobs
Old 02-27-2012, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

See now?....

Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

You forgot the two most important things...
1) Get a business credit card to help cover some of the more expensive start up costs.

2) Never wear a shirt. It helps you stand out from the big companies!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day off? View Post
2) Never wear a shirt. It helps you stand out from the big companies!
It also helps show off your sexy ink. You know all the housewives in the suburbs really get hot and bothered when they see a neck tat and tip more!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
It also helps show off your sexy ink. You know all the housewives in the suburbs really get hot and bothered when they see a neck tat and tip more!
Mikey

Why show your ink for free?? Buy a Tent and Charge a Quarter.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Tags
gulf breeze , navarre , new business , pointers