Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Who do you get your business insurance with?

I am new and after reading the Do's and Dont's thread I am looking in to getting insurance right away. So I would like to start off on the right foot any suggestions on who I should get quotes from?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Insurance

I shopped around 5/ 6 places ended up using myInsurance agent. I didnt find it to be as bad as I thought it would be. $1800.00 got me a million dollar max / theft coverage all my equiptment trailer 2 z turn mowers 2 push mowers 3 grass trimmers 2 year old 4 wheel drive truck.and 25,000.00 life insurance.snow thrower/and hand tools. estimated about 40,000.00total. good luck this is my 1st season also.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Maybe I will get a few accounts first only got 1 right now lol but I have 1000 flyers going out this week and another 1000 being printed good luck!
I only have 6000 in equitment right now 2000 dodge ram 1500 lst 5.9 1 troy built mower 1 blower 1 trimmer and ramps. I plain to start in the back of my truck and move up as needed going in with no debt hoping to stay that way.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Member

thats what scaring me I only have one customer today ./I m using fliers/newspaper adds/door to door /word of mouth ect. Decal my truck cost 60.00 moving billboard. Im 60 years old and decided to put everything into pass or fail mode. evertthing is paid off I didnt incure dept but for all purposes Im broke as I write this My wife is investing everything by supporting me until mid march to see If I got a business or very expensive hobby reguardless I will susceed if not this season next. I have help from a good friend who has done this for 35 years and I owe so much to dale for all his advise.were been friends since 1966. Im waITING TO SEE IF I MOW FULL TIME PART TIME OR GO BACK TO FACTORY WORK ONE MORE YEAR. WISH ME LUCK SAME TO YOU...
Old 02-26-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

it should pick up in march and april good luck to you sir
Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For gl I have The Heartford, commercial auto is Commerce. The best thing to do is talk to a few different agents and have them each quote you a couple of carriers. You would be surprised at the price differences you will see, two different agents could quote you the same exact policy with the same carrier and have two completely different prices.

You guys are smart to get insurance before working, to many guys wait until the have a bunch of contracts first.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
For gl I have The Heartford, commercial auto is Commerce. The best thing to do is talk to a few different agents and have them each quote you a couple of carriers. You would be surprised at the price differences you will see, two different agents could quote you the same exact policy with the same carrier and have two completely different prices.

You guys are smart to get insurance before working, to many guys wait until the have a bunch of contracts first.
I myself waited till I had some cash flow going! how are you going to pay the premiums if you don't have any cash flow?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I myself waited till I had some cash flow going! how are you going to pay the premiums if you don't have any cash flow?
How did you pay you auto insurance without cash flow? How did you pay for fuel? How did you pay for your mower? Trimmer? Blower? Are these anymore important than gl insurance? No offense but practices like you described are exactly why people look down on this industry. What would you have done if you accidentally hit a rock through a $5,000 patio door? How about if you hit a rock and it hit the neighbors kid in the head? Do you have the cash to pay for his medical care? Cause his health insurance company is gonna come looking for you when they find out a company caused the accident. What about if a freak accident caused someone's death? There is a reason why auto liability insurance is required, because they know there are irresponsible people who would drive on the road without it
Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
How did you pay you auto insurance without cash flow? How did you pay for fuel? How did you pay for your mower? Trimmer? Blower? Are these anymore important than gl insurance? No offense but practices like you described are exactly why people look down on this industry. What would you have done if you accidentally hit a rock through a $5,000 patio door? How about if you hit a rock and it hit the neighbors kid in the head? Do you have the cash to pay for his medical care? Cause his health insurance company is gonna come looking for you when they find out a company caused the accident. What about if a freak accident caused someone's death? There is a reason why auto liability insurance is required, because they know there are irresponsible people who would drive on the road without it
I understand the point your making, I agree! it was a high risk start up but I figured I HAD have gas to do business, I was living off my personal savings and didn't want to incur any debt on my start up, As soon as I could I got my GL it was my first step after I got enough cash flow going, I started with homeowner equiptment that was actually being loaned to me with the understanding that I would buy my own as I grew, which is exactly what I did. One year later I now have all new commercial grade equip that is all paid for, with the exception of my mower. I'm a big proponent of ins as I've stated on here on several occasions, but I also know how hard it is on a start up budget so you gotta do what you gotta do to get yourself going
Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

JT/ last sept in ky a couple bought a house trailer and ask their neightbor to mow their yard for them/ he did and in doing so hit a 4 or 5 ' pipe sticking up out iof the ground broke the bnlade went though a wall and hit a 3 year old in the neck he didnt make it I encourage you to get minimum coverage as soon as possible. I wont mow with out it.my liability runs about 750.00 a year. I sure this sort of thing happens every 20 years or so but it could ruin you for a life time with out it I also got LLC which breaks up your company money from personal wealth.something to think about.. mp

Tags
insurance , new business , tips