Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I really like the Izuzu NPR Flatbed, it has an 18' bed with a 4.5' dovetail & a 6' ramp. The Izuzu Box truck is my favorite, it is 20' long, with a 2' dovetail & a 7' ramp. That ramp was my latest and best. The others that I have built are adequate, but not quite what I wanted. The pickup is a picture that I found, I like the design of the ramp (not of the weedeater racks).
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll keep trying to upload pics of the inside of my box truck. The website won't allow me to.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

My box truck was an old bread truck, with a side door. My guys LOVE this side door, it is soooooooo much faster to grab a weedeater or blower, rather than going through the back door and climbing over the mowers to get to the small equipment.
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
This is how I started mowing lawns a few years back:

It was a great setup at the time, but once I got a trailer I never looked back. I was able to get my 48" WB and a 21" in there, in the one pic it looks like there is a lot of extra space but trust me it was all a tight fit. That ramp was built like freekin rock though, better than the ramp on my actual trailer! It was nice cuz when it was unfolded it had that beaver-tail effect to it and it also had a little gas shock like on a car hood that you could fold it with 2 fingers. It just slid into the hitch and then rested on the tailgate. It was adjustable to fit just about anything. My only complaint was you HAD to leave the tailgate down all the time, and 1 person could not take the thing on and of alone, that was at least a 2 person job cut the thing was awkward to move and VERY heavy. As far as the whole process is with mowing with a rig like this, it's more difficult than you'd think. You can't bag anything because theres no room for a bag or to dump grass, and as dumb as this sounds, it gets rather tiring walking up and down that ramp (which is rather steep) all day and climbing over stuff to get equipment out. Having racks on the side of a trailer where you can just walk up to it on ground level and get what you need rather than climbing in and out of a truck is something you wouldnt think about. When I first started and I was only cutting like 15 lawns a week, it worked great. But from there on out like I said I got a trailer and never looked back.
Have to agree.

When I started I would drive a lawn tractor up into the back of a pickup truck on two 2 x 12 boards. A lot of work several times a day and dangerous too.

Then I got an open 6 x 10 trailer and thought I was in heaven. There are precious few places I can't get into and out of. I discovered that in a pinch I could simply unload and unhook the trailer, turn the truck around, reattach the trailer and easily get out of a tight spot.

I'm going to move up to a larger enclosed trailer this year. For the security from theft of equipment and the ability to put a large ad on the side. I will also be able to store the equipment in the trailer during the winter and free up space in the garage.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutterCutter View Post
Have to agree.

When I started I would drive a lawn tractor up into the back of a pickup truck on two 2 x 12 boards. A lot of work several times a day and dangerous too.

Then I got an open 6 x 10 trailer and thought I was in heaven. There are precious few places I can't get into and out of. I discovered that in a pinch I could simply unload and unhook the trailer, turn the truck around, reattach the trailer and easily get out of a tight spot.

I'm going to move up to a larger enclosed trailer this year. For the security from theft of equipment and the ability to put a large ad on the side. I will also be able to store the equipment in the trailer during the winter and free up space in the garage.
This brings to mind my first year, bought a used lesco 48" walk behind belt drive. found out loading it into the back of a Chevy 3500HD dump truck was far from practical. i had two 2x6x10 foot boards as ramps to the bed that was a good 5 foot from the ground... bad idea! did it for most of the year. i looked ridiculous. and if i got caught in the rain...400lb lawn ornament. just not a good image, very time consuming, VERRY EXHAUSTING!

i had a 16' landscape trailer by the end of the year
Old 03-02-2012, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

You could do this?! I saw this car today and had to take a picture. It brings back old memories!
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

where did you get the 20ft box truck? is it diesel? and hd? what year and miles and how much did you give for it? Thats what i've been looking for for a looonng time.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

It's an old bread truck, I found it in Dallas, TX. It's a 1997, with a gas engine (I wish it was a diesel though) I think I got a good deal though. It has about 140k miles on it. The previous owner put a new motor and a new transmission in it a year before I bought it. I paid $4,000 & I built the gate myself. It cost me about $400 in metal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2012, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Love my ramp setup, tow trailer with for condo runs, 2 days, run like this ( 2-33") rest of the time!

Last edited by shepoutside; 04-10-2012 at 06:20 AM.