Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-03-2002, 08:29 PM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
randy j

Also ford had problem for a while with blown head gaskit's on that motor.
yeah the 6.0 might be fixed and i hope it is but if you are one of the ones who got the piston slap it aint fixed.
Im still leary of the 6.0 thats one of the reasons i decided to get a car.Im gonna wait a year let get the bugs out.
Damn that piece of **** replaces one of the best gas engines ever made the 350.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:56 PM
Banned

I always thought it was weird that the newer Fords have more tow capacity rating on an auto. I wonder if it has something to do with the auto shifting when it is supposed to?
Doesn't make sense that they would be stronger than a manual...but maybe they are?
Old 12-03-2002, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Invoice is close to 20k on that truck. Its a bareboned work truck. With the rebates and such offered it close to 19k not an "insane" deal. Do you really want to spend all that $$ for something you wont be comfortable with when your finances are better like an XLT package, f350, v10 or psd, supercab etc. Being in the truck market myself i know there are a lot of decisions to make and the economy is not all that swell so you can get what you want for a reasonable amount of $$.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Finances won't be better for 29 years when my new house is paid off. Well maybe in 22 years after my 2 yr old girl and newborn son are done with college and making money on their own. Or maybe when my wife goes back to work in 15-20 years. Until then I will have to deal with the not so comfortable vinyl seat. Heck all I listen to in my current truck is AM/FM. And I don't want to even try to recycle the 75 gallons of oil that the diesels use. They give me a hard enough time at the county dump for bringing in 7 or 8 gallons at a time. I guess they want you to dump it in the backyard so we can all drink it in a couple years. It does seem like Ford would put just a couple of nice touches on the XL interior. But it will serve the purpose- Work Truck. And I just ran the numbers on Edmunds.com. It is $262 below invoice after you factor in the $1500 rebate. I just wish I could find a 2002 model they have a $2500 rebate, but the only one they had was a funky red color. Any disadvantages on the 2002???? Any big upgrades to the engine or trannies for 2003???
Old 12-03-2002, 11:01 PM

Barkley I don't keep up much with the gasser market. I do know the PSD got a HP and torque numbers boost for each year beginning with 99. Far as I know the same trans. The only good thing with buying a 03 over 02 is the 03s should have less bugs in them.

Quote:
Being in the truck market myself i know there are a lot of decisions to make
dlandscaping for me there wasn't that much of a decision to make. I knew what I wanted, and didn't want. First of all, ALL that I looked at were Fords. Than I had to have PSD, 3/4 ton, AC, power widows, locks. When I found a color I liked I was set. Maybe not every body is that easily satisfied.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Brickman
Crewcab, supercab, reg cab. Truck for plowing so either 6.75ft bed or reg cab 8ft bed. Diesel or v10 three dealers have talked me out of diesel and if diesel the 6.0 or 7.3. I know i want a 350 with plow prep with xlt styling and auto tranny and thats about it right now. Ive got time but with the early snow i should have been doing this before hand. I can also get the X pricing so i may spring for such things as lariet or sport packages too.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Barkleymut, the only thing to consider with the 2003 is...it's a year newer No big upgrades. With a lot of those sites like Edmunds, they don't factor in FDAF charges, which can be upwards of $300. Try to talk them down another few hundred though. I bet you can
Old 12-04-2002, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Barkleymut, diesels aren't for everyone, so don't sweat it if you don't want one. However, there are some serious advantages. First an incredible fuel savings, especially when pulling a trailer. Second, much longer life (even for the PSD ). Third, better resale value. As for the recycling of the oil, just take your used oil to a Walmart or Jiffy Lube. That's what I do with mine. I even took the oil from my Turkey fryer there. But if you want gas, I think the 5.4 would be a fine engine. I'd go with the '02 if you can find one. Money saved is money saved. I agree with you on the interior appointments. I want plain jane, easy to clean interior on a work truck.
Good luck with the new truck.
Randy
Old 12-04-2002, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The 5.4 is a really good engine, pulls strong and is easy on gas {for a Ford}. I've been getting 17 to 18 mpg regular driving, 11 to 12 mpg pulling a 16' utility trailer with my z and other stuff on it. Never strained even pulling my 16' stock trailer loaded with cows, which is a pretty good load. I don't know how much your pulling, but I didn't see any need for a diesel just to pull a couple of mowers around with. I got a new 2002 F150 4x4 XLT extended cab, loaded for $23500.00. Does what I need it to do very well. Good luck with your purchase, I don't think you'll regret getting the Ford.

Everyone is a product of their choices, not their circumstances.........

I don't normally talk to Obama supporters, but when I do, I usually ask for large fries...............
Old 12-05-2002, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talkin the lightduty F-250 that looks similar to the F-150, or are you talkin the superduty. Theres a huge difference between the two. If you are talking about the superduty. I have the identical truck, very solid rig, the 5.4 is plenty for pullin mowin rigs around.