Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's up with Sthil and others

I purchased a Sthil chainsaw MS180 to just cut up downed limbs after a storm etc... Perfect sized for my needs.
But I have had issues. I bet the saw has not been used more than 8 hrs total in 3 years. When first purchased it ran good for a day or so then started having power issues. The dealer said with the new EPA stuff they run much leaner and installed a new jet in the carb. Next season was using the saw. running GREAT and all of a sudden started having power issues again. Dealer said same issue and put in a bigger jet in the carb. At this point I started using the pre-mixed fuel and oil in the qt cans for $8.99. Expensive but for my limited use worth it. Just after two tanks, I foul my brand new plug. New plug fixes problem.
When I first purchased my saw I always used fresh, purchased that day gas and Sthil oil before switching to pre-mix. I always ran my saw dry before storing. The left over gas/oil mix I ran in my cheap Ryobi and Homelite equipment, even left in tool over winter and no problems with them. But they are older.

Anyway I need a new gas blower. But after reading reviews it seems all brands of equipment are having fuel issues. If they are having that much trouble why even sell new gas equipment. Not sure what more a person can do over what I have been doing. It gets expensive taking a new tool to the shop to get fixed. I have 1/2 as much invested in saw repairs than I paid for the saw.

So I guess my question- What is the real issue and what more can I do to avoid it? I'm at the point I rather buy a push broom vs a gas blower.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont use old gas. I dont and my stuff runs great.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlMechanic View Post
Dont use old gas. I dont and my stuff runs great.
That's often the answer to the problems but like I said in my post......
When I first purchased my saw I always used fresh, purchased that day gas and Sthil oil before switching to pre-mix

Does Stihl have a higher rate of this type problem? I had a Stihl weed trimmer years ago and could never keep it running correct. Purchased a ECHO trimmer and it runs like a champ. Was going to get an ECHO chainsaw too but after glowing recommendations from everyone went with a Sthil. Same type problem as my old Stihl trimmer.
I own Echo, Ryobi, homelight brand equipment and never been to the repair shop. Run old, stored over the winter, gas in them. Don't pamper them like I do my Stihl but yet Stihl is where I have the problem.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl Chainsaw

Have had a Stihl MS260 Pro for about 8 yrs. I don't ever run it dry, just use a good synthetic oil (have now gone to Stihl Ultra HP) and mid-range gas (now use Sinclair 100% gas, no ethanol). I sometimes go months without using it. Have had to replace the carb once in the 8 yrs and that's the only problem I've ever had. Starts and runs good. Also have 2 Stihl trimmers for about 4-5 yrs. Very few problems. Have had to replace carbs on the trimmers once each.