Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Sodding Lawn - Cant decide which grass NE FL

Hello how is it going?

I am trying to figure out which sod to go with. I really would like Zoysia, however St. Augustine is an obvious good choice.

Currently I have used a sod cutter to remove old weed grass from the front lawn and will put some new soil and rake it smooth tomorrow.

I originally was going to go with Zenith Zoysia Sod from Super Sod. However I have read a lot of stuff to turn me off from it.

I am looking for recommendations.

Also I have an irrigation system and it will soon be on a well, so watering is not an issue. I have minor shade from my neighbors 10ft tall hedges, so it must be partial shade tolerant.

Thanks for all the help.
Matt
Old 04-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Sponsor

Contact your local cooperative extension office for your county. I suspect they can advise you of the best turf type for NE Florida.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-05-2014, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bermuda hybrid on a billiard flat base. Zoysia will spend too much time brown and dormant.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2014, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am becoming more and more of a fan of Bermuda cultivars if you have full sun and the willingness to invest in a quality reel to mow it and care for it properly. Zoysia - for me Empire has been the overwhelming success story around here but as Patriot said be prepared for dormant periods, especially given you are even further up north than either of us. Also be prepared for the potential zoysia patch issues you could end up fighting. It is not the miracle grass every one wants to make it out to be, but all in all it is a very attractive alternative to St. Augustine.
St. Augustine is good - nothing wrong with it. This is turf of choice if you have shade in the property.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in Jacksonville as well. The folks at the extension office are nice folks but I wouldn't expect a whole lot of help from them. They seem to be mostly retired folks who want to grow & can tomatoes.

I have Empire Zoysia and am happy with it. It may not be quite as shade tolerant as Augustine but I don't find much of a difference. I don't find the dormant period to be much longer either. What I really like is the fact that it is tolerant to most herbicides. With Augustine you are going to be limited to Atrazine and Penoxsulam for weed control. I haven't been bothered by any pests or fungus, could be just luck but I've had this lawn for better than 5 years.

The dormant period could be influenced by micro-climate, I'm in the Southside about 1/4 mile off the river so I don't get as cold as my sister who is in Orange Park.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of mower do u have?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriedrewdog View Post
I'm in Jacksonville as well. The folks at the extension office are nice folks but I wouldn't expect a whole lot of help from them. They seem to be mostly retired folks who want to grow & can tomatoes.

I have Empire Zoysia and am happy with it. It may not be quite as shade tolerant as Augustine but I don't find much of a difference. I don't find the dormant period to be much longer either. What I really like is the fact that it is tolerant to most herbicides. With Augustine you are going to be limited to Atrazine and Penoxsulam for weed control. I haven't been bothered by any pests or fungus, could be just luck but I've had this lawn for better than 5 years.

The dormant period could be influenced by micro-climate, I'm in the Southside about 1/4 mile off the river so I don't get as cold as my sister who is in Orange Park.
With regard to your opinion about who works at the extension office, might I suggest working with the actual employees who are paid staff instead of the
Master Gardener volunteers. The information available from the extension office is from IFAS and the latest information on Turf Cultivars and availability can also be found.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-07-2014, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your answers! I have a rotary mower.

Im off of Julington Creek fyi.

I put in an order for St. Augustine. As much as I would like Zoysia, I don't think it will work out well for me.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The best things you can do for SA is set your mower on its highest setting, keep the blade razor sharp and don't overwater once it establishes. A good CPO will also go a long way in keeping it at its heathiest.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redphoenix View Post
Thanks for all your answers! I have a rotary mower.

Im off of Julington Creek fyi.

I put in an order for St. Augustine. As much as I would like Zoysia, I don't think it will work out well for me.
Good decision we tried some zoysia not better from water use and hard starter.