Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2014, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

New Member - New Mower Advice Sought Please!

Hello Lawnsite Members! I'm a new member from Daytona Beach, FL, nice to meet you all.

I started my account to research the best zero turn for my money. Here is what I'm seeking.

I am seeking to buy a mower for my lawn only, which is St. Augustine (Floratam), which will mostly be dry when mown because I can mow it whenever I want. I have 1.25 acres only. I currently have a Husqvarna (21 Kohler Courage 46 deck) riding mower and it takes me way too long (IMO) to mow it. Not to mention I want the versatility to mow it in different directions every week and a zero turn will make that much easier.

Here in the Daytona area people I have talked to swear by Scag. I have looked at them, and they appear to be very nice mowers. I should also say I've never owned a ZT before and have only driven one once! But I want to and am willing to pay for the best, so if Scag is the best thats what I want. However, from my experience, it seems like they are also the most expensive, especially in the used market. I am going to buy used because I can't put out $10,000 for just cutting my lawn once a week. I am willing to take my chances (and do my research) to get something nice and plan on it lasting me a long time if I can find one in the 100 hour range.

My question is that I am seriously considering a Scag 52 Tiger Cat with either the Kawasaki FX engine or the Kohler Commercial Pro. The Kohler is a 27HP while the Kawasaki is a 23. I can also afford a Dixie Chopper SIlver Eagle 2750 with the Generac engine. I have also looked at the Hustler Fastrack Super Duty, which I can get with a Kawasaki engine as well. It seems like the Velocity Plus deck on the Scag is very good from reading peoples opinions. Again, I'll be cutting St. Augustine only and it will be dry because I wont mow when its wet. I know with the size of my lawn I have probably no business buying such a quality mower, but I have saved and again want the best. But I don't want to waste my money either. I would appreciate any opinions on these mowers, decks, and engines you can provide. I'm open to other makes, but I have looked into those brands the most, especially the Scag.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have a snapper pro dealer close I'd check out the s150x it comes with a Kawasaki or a vanguard.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2014, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Bump, really thought I'd get more feedback than this! Lets hear what you all think!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I sell John Deere. Take a look at the Z915B 48". John Deere has alot to offer. Never Stop Loaner Guarantee, Parts, Service. Right now No payments No interest until January 2015 followed by 0% for 36 months. Is there a John Deere dealership close to you?
Old 04-06-2014, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Big Dog

Check out Big dog At

Cutting Edge Equipment
3703 North Hwy 17
Deland, FL 32720
386 277 2863
23.5 miles