Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-15-2012, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I realize there are a lot of lurkers on this thread that read to learn or other reasons, but don't want to join Lawnsite in order to comment and that's okay. But, I'm curious if others would comment on whether they have signed DuPont's Imprelis direct resolution offer (or at least received one) where they were guaranteed payment by a certain time if they signed (I was told by DuPont that they won't send out that kind of offer); and, if others are willing to comment on whether they are considering retaining an attorney because they no longer have faith in DuPont's Claim Resolution Process or the offer?

Did you know that DuPont once stopped payments to some they had settled with in regard to their Benlate claims? Then there were fraud suits as well. I just found that out today. Benlate was a fungicide that was on the market for over 30 years, but is no longer being produced by DuPont due to all the lawsuits involving lost crops and birth defects (babies born with no eyes). It's half life in soil was much less than Imprelis. I'm not suggesting at all that Imprelis might cause the same problems. Different chemical.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A reminder:
EPA has meeting set for THIS Monday and Tuesday June 18-19, 2012 to discuss, among other things, update/discussion on “down stream” effects of DuPont's Imprelis

https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...ic-meeting#p-6

Meeting is OPEN to the public.
The meeting will be held at EPA. One Potomac Yard (South Bldg.), 2777 S. Crystal Dr., Arlington, VA, 22202, 1st Floor South Conference Room. This is very close to the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.
Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cp...ed=0CAoQ8gEwAA

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
[EPA-HQ-OPP-2012-0003; FRL-9348-6]
SFIREG Full Committee; Notice of Public Meeting
AGENCY: Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
ACTION: Notice.
SUMMARY: The Association of American Pesticide Control Officials (AAPCO)/State
FIFRA Issues Research and Evaluation Group (SFIREG), Full Committee will hold a 2-day meeting, beginning on June 18, 2012 and ending June 19, 2012. This notice announces the location and times for the meeting and sets forth the tentative agenda topics.
DATES: The meeting will be held on Monday, June 18, 2012 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm and 8:30 am to 12 noon on Tuesday June 19, 2012.
This is open to the public.

I wish I could attend, but cannot. If I could I would have brought a dead tree that was the result of Imprelis migrating into my property. I'd hang a sign on that lifeless plant that reads "DuPont's Imprelis Killed Me".

Last edited by Starbuy; 06-15-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DuPont's Imprelis may get taken up into roots even more now as drought conditions have been noted in most midwest states. Watch for other plants that were not damaged last year for possible damage signs as they try to soak up whatever moisture they can from the soil which may have Imprelis that has migrated since last year. US Drought Monitor reporting these areas 90-day precipitation was less than 50 percent, and deficiencies were between 8 and 12 inches of rain. We were warned by researchers such as AIRCORP that this might happen so watch and document any further damage.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My blue ribbon each year doesn't mean alot to a billion dollar company but it means alot to me. Time to send my entry and hope I have enough to enter in August and they are safe to taste.

My 2 Japanese Maples are curling on top and turning brown, dropping leaves. My Weeping Willow dies a little more each day, you can see the brown going up the branch. Noticed my Wisteria on the side of the house on the trelis is curling.

June 15th and nothing from dupont.
Attached Images

Last edited by cindyb; 06-15-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, Starbuy, for the info. I'm very frustrated that the LCO is just not educated enough, about this and our homeowner's assoc. is small and the president and his neighbors had no damage. Now I see why the LCO wanted to do the evaluating! ($$$)

I did have an attorney contact ME last July in regard to a class action suit. I don't think I am officially 'signed in', but it may come to that soon. (The attorney got my info from the story in the NY Times--I am the one in that photograph!)

Since I wrote last, I've looked at the next door neighbors' trees, and their damage is all worse and more trees are affected. What a mess!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can get a better commission fee from certain firms that are in the class but are also handling individual cases and are intent on abiding by your wish to remain as an individual filing. I won't be accepting any class action settlement. If they don't settle properly with my case then mine will be handled separately since you don't have to accept the class action settlement. i can give you the name of the firm I retained if you need it (privately).
Old 06-15-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks so much, again, Starbuy. I have a few more posts and more days before I can do private, I guess. I may very well need that information--would that be in the Ohio area?

I really have learned a lot reading this thread, and I'm glad to finally know I'm not crazy! i can now argue more intelligently.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, Ohio and can work on cases in all Imprelis affected states. They're tough, great network and teams. Plus, they care. I know I sound like a commercial but I assure you I'm not getting paid to endorse anyone. Just want to help people because I know how this feels. Cindy and others on here feel the same way. I'm thankful this site exists for all of us to be able to share information. Awesome site.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dead trees stand as proof that weed killer Imprelis went awry
Article by: MARY JANE SMETANKA , Star Tribune
Updated: June 18, 2012 - 5:52 AM

...Studies in Indiana show that Imprelis is degrading in the soil but is still present, Zuzek said. DuPont has recommended that the soil be replaced when dead trees are removed. Zuzek said property owners would be wise not to plant the same type of trees in those spots, and she suggests waiting until early fall or even next spring to replant.

"I would be very cautious, because we just don't know, and who wants to spend the money?" she said. -MARY JANE SMETANKA , Star Tribune http://www.startribune.com/local/159376255.html

DuPont's offer doesn't properly include monetary damages for the alteration to my landscape that may be years or even permanent. Will I ever be able to have my same privacy hedge again since much of the hill sloping into my property is my neighbor's lawn (with Imprelis) and all that really needs dug up and replaced with new soil down to 3 or 4 feet? Not sure my neighbor will allow that (he had only one tree near that slope, not much monetary damage, therefore he accepted DuPont's offer to him which does not include money to dig up the lawn that has Imprelis in it), so that means even if I remove the dead trees and the soil around them and under them the hill with Imprelis in it will still continue to move down into my property until Imprelis completely degrades in his lawn. How many years will that take? No one knows for certain yet.

Last edited by Starbuy; 06-18-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I keep finding out more info about Imprelis and our LCO and HOW the claims were made. Communication is not working. My LCO says the resolution agreements will go to our HOA president, and that the accountant "picks up the mail'. I don't like being treated as part of a group here for many reasons, the main one being that WE sustained the most damage and we are the only ones paying much attention. The president had no damage, and the accountant is just the accountant. I'm in serious need of our own attorney, I believe.

Starbuy: I did some research this weekend, and found 3 'Imprelis' experts who are taking these cases: Plevin & Gallucci, LPA, Gillman Law, LLP, and Parker Waichman, LLP. Do any of these sound familiar or do you know anything about them? I think 2 of those are from OHIO.....