Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ubetit, you have a pm
Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

July 9th and nothing.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Starbuy, did you receive a settlement offer yet from Dupont? If so would you share what it was? I am going to get on the phone today with my LCO and Dupont and make some noise will post after.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I am in Kansas and just got off the phone with my LCO and found out about 50% of their customers have received settlement offers and said offers are trickling in daily. All of the dead trees in my yard were removed by the LCO last fall already. I was told there is a "service credit" whatever that means, that will be part of the settlement for the value of that removal. He gave me the "chart of value" Dupont is basing the value of the trees here which only takes into consideration the height of the trees, not the type, which in my case were all exotic evergreens that are more expensive than your basic white pine or arborvitie. From what the LCO stated, these values are based on Dupont making agreement with tree companies to replace that size tree for that amount of money which is why they want you to use the companies they recommend in your area. If you want to hire your own people or do the work yourself, that is still the amount of money you will get. Here is the chart values, which from what LCO understands is the same values throughout the country.

5-6 ft -$230
7-8 ft -$360
9-10 ft -$520
11-12 ft -$650
13-14 ft -$930
15-16 ft -$1000
I did not go any further since I did not have any bigger than that.

Also, it is the LCO's understanding on the customers that do not accept the initial offer, all counter offers will go to the bottom of the pile and be handled AFTER all of the initial offers have gone out. Have any of you made counter offers and received correspondence of acceptance of them? This in my opinion is a forced deterent to make a counter offer since it might be another years process dealing with the counter offer.
The LCO stated of those that accepted the initial offer (70-80%) some have already received checks.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

There's no way that will work for us, and that's why we are going private. It doesn't sound to me that DuPont is "making it right" as they promised last year. They should also be looking at type of tree and trunk diameter. (Our Jap Maple is a good example). The LCO took our measurements, but just with a person and a yardstick in the photo, so most are inaccurate. (And, dead trees are shorter than live trees!!) Also, this wouldn't take care of soil removal and replacement, as well as tree removal. Then there's the issue of increased damages this year--some are worse and more trees are affected that weren't last year. If this hadn't taken so long, and they were communicating with us, and the offer was fair, then that might be a reason to accept.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

TreeNut, I agree with you, it definately feels like there is a lot of "strong arm" tactics expected in the settlement proposal. I do not think it is fair to not get compensated for last years and this years growth to say the least. 15% of the total for "pain, suffering, expenses of getting the other trees to their size at death) is downright insulting to me. Each and every person who works for Dupont should be required to have their lawns sprayed with this stuff, watch it all die, have two $400 waterbills trying to save it (before I knew what caused it) and see if that measly amount seems fair.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeNut View Post
There's no way that will work for us, and that's why we are going private. It doesn't sound to me that DuPont is "making it right" as they promised last year. They should also be looking at type of tree and trunk diameter. (Our Jap Maple is a good example). The LCO took our measurements, but just with a person and a yardstick in the photo, so most are inaccurate. (And, dead trees are shorter than live trees!!) Also, this wouldn't take care of soil removal and replacement, as well as tree removal. Then there's the issue of increased damages this year--some are worse and more trees are affected that weren't last year. If this hadn't taken so long, and they were communicating with us, and the offer was fair, then that might be a reason to accept.
I thought dupont would make it right too but more than a year its pretty apparent they aren't going to do the right thing. I called when my koi died concerned about all the dead needles and pinecones blowing in the pond. I called when I didn't have a place to bury my kitty and I was "moved" up. Not sure where they moved me but it wasn't to an offer.

Figure in the loss of growth on the sticks that are standing there, frozen in time. I have the original damage documented by the LCO, the damage after the report but before the site visit by dupont and now the everything else damage.

I had to buy tomatoes this past weekend. It didn't hit me until I walked out to my garden and realized how much enjoyment of my yard and trees I've lost.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchoulipal View Post
TreeNut, I agree with you, it definately feels like there is a lot of "strong arm" tactics expected in the settlement proposal. I do not think it is fair to not get compensated for last years and this years growth to say the least. 15% of the total for "pain, suffering, expenses of getting the other trees to their size at death) is downright insulting to me. Each and every person who works for Dupont should be required to have their lawns sprayed with this stuff, watch it all die, have two $400 waterbills trying to save it (before I knew what caused it) and see if that measly amount seems fair.
We've watered every summer, every tree and bush, the garden and flowers, huge water bills during dry times and then this.

Watching the tops of the dying trees, looks like something is moving in and stripping the bark. Bugs are doing the final clean up.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll be making a counter offer once I receive my Dupont pkg. Wondering why it isn't here, but I have sent two certified letters to Dupont. Does that mean my claim ended up on the bottom of the pile...because I complained about the way Dupont is handling this and the deadly destruction of one application that killed trees, spoiled my backyard privacy, wiped out shelter for the many birds that visit our backyard. I have all my ducks in a row, cost estimates on tree replacement, fence removal, new mulch,etc and am wondering if a letter from my lawyer will move me up the ladder. Any thoughts or personal experience on that? I've seen one other Dupont pkg for my neighbor but under their circumstances, I believe it is on the low side.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewater View Post
I'll be making a counter offer once I receive my Dupont pkg. Wondering why it isn't here, but I have sent two certified letters to Dupont. Does that mean my claim ended up on the bottom of the pile...because I complained about the way Dupont is handling this and the deadly destruction of one application that killed trees, spoiled my backyard privacy, wiped out shelter for the many birds that visit our backyard. I have all my ducks in a row, cost estimates on tree replacement, fence removal, new mulch,etc and am wondering if a letter from my lawyer will move me up the ladder. Any thoughts or personal experience on that? I've seen one other Dupont pkg for my neighbor but under their circumstances, I believe it is on the low side.
I figure I'm on the bottom because me and Starguy have helped inform others.

This board has been wonderful letting us share information. No other board has such up to date information. If not for this forum I would have suffered through this alone. Nice to know I have others going through this personal hell.

I just walked outside to look at my trees, the pines in the back are leaking sap on the grass. The pine needles were sticking to my feet.