Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2012, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If any of the LCO's are reading, how is the Imprelis affecting your customers grass/turf? My yard looks like a wheat field, the neighbors look better than mine and we aren't doing anything different.

I searched and of course it brings me back to this site. Seems some types of grass are affected? If the roots of weeds and trees takes take up the chemical, why wouldn't the grass? Especially in this heat?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=340666
Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
02-17-2011, 11:37 PM

Sorry to keep you guys waiting, but this is the first chance to sit down in front of the pc. I listened to the rep do his pitch to the whole room, and had a chance to ask him a few questions later. The following is the info I found out:

Residual: The residual seems pretty good. The graphs showed ground ivy, dandies, and violet near 100% control after 90 days. The soil activity is limited to the top 1/2"-1" of soil. This soil activity helps the imprelis on fertilizer results as well.

Root uptake: The soil activity is limited to the top 1/2"-1" of soil. Yes, he said it could be an issue. He was more concerned about that happening with imprelis on fertilizer and stray granules going into planting beds. It is not to be used in planting beds. Trees in turf areas will not be affected. I asked him about trees with exposed roots (silver maples) and he said that it won't affect them any more than typical herbicides.

Solubility: Is soluble in water. The herbicide itself is dark brown, the solution is clear as you don't add enough concentrate to change the color of the h20. The product doesn't move in the soil very much. At the University of Illinois they applied to the test plot, and soon after experienced heavy rains to the point the plot had standing water on them. They still got a very good kill on weeds and one researcher noted how well the product stayed put even after the flooding rains.

Volatility: There is no temperature restrictions as the product is considered non-volatile. Also has low to no odor.

Other notes: Death of the weed looks like conventional herbicides. 3-4.5 oz/acre use rate. Struggles with killing oxalis. Grasses showed tolerance up to 4 times the label rate. Safe to use on all cool season grasses except bent. Sorry warm season guys, not sure about you. No seeding restrictions for cool season turf, no irrigation or rain restrictions, no mowing restrictions.

The bad: The only negative about the product as far as I can see is the grass clipping management. You have to inform the customer not to use treated turf clippings for mulch or compost. I asked the rep about composting for a year or two. He didn't have an answer, but said he would check into it and let me know. Bagging clippings in June and spreading them around tomatoes will give you dead plants or watermelon size tomatoes. Hard to say which.

Overall, it seems like a great new herbicide to use on commercial properties and full maintenance clients. It will be interesting to see if it stays longer than clopyralid. That is the one thing that concerns me. I'm no expert but that is my take. Any questions you have you can ask and I see if I can recall the answer.
All I can say is wow. Guess alot has changed.

Have to wonder if I'll have any grass.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

My LCO emailed to say that a few of his clients have received offers. He thought they were "fair." I like him and he's been great with my yard the past 3-4 years but I'll be the judge of what's "fair."
Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

On another note, i woke up to a lawn that looks like it had snowed last night. Dollar spot fungus all over. Two days of rain and warm nights and now this. I'm ready for the Phoenix, AZ style aggregate rock lawn.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a good point, I forgot about the summer problems and with the excessive heat there is no telling what is going to happen with the grass. I know my Willow Oaks are dropping branches with dead leaves, not just leaves.

Least your LCO keeps you informed.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410NORTH View Post
Mike Grow the article in Union Eagle lives 5 miles from me, has anyone in Minnesota received there claims resolution yet?
I am in Hudson WI (just outside of the twin cities) and have not gotten my proposal yet.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I have not heard from Dupont yet either. I tried calling and e-mailing and got nowhere other than the same stock answers. Also somewhat frustrating is my LCO has completely stopped communicating as well. I get the impression he feels it is not his problem, though he picked Dupont, not me
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2012, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dr. Bert Cregg from MSU has stated "Landscapers or homeowners that are anxious to re-plant in Imprelis-affected areas should proceed with caution... Remove any existing affected plant materials since the report from the Indiana State Chemistís office indicates Imprelis in tree tissue is degrading slower than in soil." -http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/tree_damage_from_imprelis_one_year_later/

So, when anyone including a DuPont rep or your LCO suggests the amount they are compensating for only allows for grinding the stump or does not remove all the roots and surrounding soil, that should be a red flag. Yes, it's more expensive to do the true excavation needed to remove the entire tree and it's roots and replace all that soil (remember that at least 2 feet beyond the tree's roots is also supposed to be removed due to Imprelis residual), but if you think you can plant in that area or next to it you may be losing the new plant too (or it may not grow like it should).

A red maple, for example, has a root system that is twice the length as the tree is tall.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

July 24th and nada.

Watching my blackberries vines turn brown and die. One is gone. Still don't have the first tomato.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No frogs or toads have come near our property since the Imprelis damage. They are a garden's friend. Of course, our normal birds who once took up summer residence had to find other homes too. It's sad when even the animals know there's something wrong with an area and stay away. I hope universities are studying this effect and not just the effect on the plant itself. It certainly seems to be affecting our ecosystem.

Incidently, have you noticed DuPont has been spreading out the Imprelis financial hits to their earnings reports, but they haven't yet reserved as far as I know (publically to their shareholders) the cost hit from all the lawsuits and settlements outside their direct process and some of the other settlements that have already take place through attorneys. As I mentioned months ago for the sake of some on here who might have stock in DuPont (Stock: DD), watch for further impact. I'm not suggesting selling since I'm not a financial advisor. I realize they've weathered many financial hits from product problems. They have plenty of money. Just glad I don't own any of their stock right now.

Numbers so far:
The company took a pretax charge of $265 million in this past quarter related to claims involving the use of its Imprelis.
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/24...#storylink=cpy

Charges for Imprelis damage claims impacting DuPont earnings so far:

Q3 2011...$75 million

Q4 2011..$100 million

Q1 2012...$50 million

Q2 2012..$265 million