Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-04-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did you read this one, back to the start when trees started dying?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...light=Imprelis
Old 08-06-2012, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I still don't have my proposal from dupont. I called the hotline and got the usual stock answer that it's "in review" and we have no idea when you will get a proposal. Has anyone EVER got useful information from them?

Also, it would be real interesting to know how many claims there are and how many have had proposal submitted, and how many rejected in full or portions of it. Does anyone have information like this or know how we could get it?
Old 08-06-2012, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailter View Post
I still don't have my proposal from dupont. I called the hotline and got the usual stock answer that it's "in review" and we have no idea when you will get a proposal. Has anyone EVER got useful information from them?

Also, it would be real interesting to know how many claims there are and how many have had proposal submitted, and how many rejected in full or portions of it. Does anyone have information like this or know how we could get it?
No.

I'm sure all of that will be kept private.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you know any property owners that have received their payment from Dupont or is it just the large golf courses? Any info on the lawsuits and are they moving forward or is it just too early for that? Can't buy anything Dupont anymore...there shabby treatment for everyone in this mess is pathetic.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewater View Post
Do you know any property owners that have received their payment from Dupont or is it just the large golf courses? Any info on the lawsuits and are they moving forward or is it just too early for that? Can't buy anything Dupont anymore...there shabby treatment for everyone in this mess is pathetic.
Settlement amounts that are reached can't be disclosed (victims that hired law firms), but personally I think it's a bit early since data on progressive damage is still being collected by experts hired by firms on behalf of clients. Studies are showing Imprelis is still in the soil and migration is still taking place and causing further damage. Also, studies showing worsening conditions for plants already affected.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuy View Post
Settlement amounts that are reached can't be disclosed (victims that hired law firms), but personally I think it's a bit early since data on progressive damage is still being collected by experts hired by firms on behalf of clients. Studies are showing Imprelis is still in the soil and migration is still taking place and causing further damage. Also, studies showing worsening conditions for plants already affected.
Are the attorneys saying anything about how long the affected trees need to be left in place? Will they let you take them down after pictures, arborists opinions, etc. are completed, or are they to be left up until a settlement is reached?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailter View Post
Are the attorneys saying anything about how long the affected trees need to be left in place? Will they let you take them down after pictures, arborists opinions, etc. are completed, or are they to be left up until a settlement is reached?
Sorry, but you need to ask an attorney that for your specific situation. In my case I'm leaving everything stand unless it becomes a danger or falls and gets in my way. But I do know someone who hired a law firm, got eveything documented by experts, soil, tissue, photos, measurements..., but then they want it all removed quickly. An arborist told me they were dreaming when they said they want eveything relandscaped now. Arborist had to give them the bad news that Imprelis was still in their yard and whatever they planted would probably die, so advised them to wait. They have a multi million dollar property and had events scheduled but now their events will be with ugly landscape. The owner was very upset.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Back from vacation and no settlement packet waiting for me.

I really didn't want to go this route because i'm not sure it's going to pay off once the attorneys get their percentage, but I feel helpless.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Ubetit, I feel the same way, I had hoped to get a fair offer and put this behind me. I do not like this endless waiting and no resolution in sight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2012, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The lingering effects of herbicides, such as DuPont's Imprelis, is the greatest unknown we victims face and potentially the most costly. Take the example of another herbicide, Dioxin (aka Agent Orange) which reportedly was also made by DuPont. Imprelis is an aminocyclopyrachlor methyl herbicide - four times more powerful than Agent Orange.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...d06_story.html
"US starts landmark cleanup of Agent Orange nearly 4 decades after Vietnam War’s end" -Washington Post August 9, 2012

Some excerpts from the article link above:
"The United States began a landmark project Thursday to clean up a dangerous chemical left from the defoliant Agent Orange — 50 years after American planes first sprayed it on Vietnam’s jungles to destroy enemy cover."

"The Agent Orange issue has continued to blight the U.S.-Vietnam relationship because dioxin can linger in the environment for decades, entering the food supply through the fat of fish and other animals."

"Workers will first dig down about 2 meters (6.56 feet). The soil will then be heated to 335 degrees Celsius (635 Fahrenheit) in special containers where the dioxin will break down into oxygen, carbon dioxide and other substances that pose no health risks."

"Vietnam’s deputy defense minister, Nguyen Chi Vinh, said Thursday he hopes to receive more support from the international community and the U.S. government to help remediate dioxin hotspots elsewhere."

"Dioxin is not water-soluble and only spreads when rainfall and runoff..." - sound familiar?

I do sympathize with those considering DuPont's direct resolution process since some feel at such a loss they don't know what to do (I've felt the same way). Even some golf courses that are run by county committees are considering caving to the very small offers from DuPont, mainly due to the politicians (committee members) who seem to have made the decision to not bring in experienced legal help to see how much value loss they truly suffered and will suffer. Plus, some courses felt they had too many trees anyhow (golfers don't always like a lot of trees for obvious reasons) so property value impact per sq foot compared to a homeowner's property value impact is much less according to university studies. Seems many politicians tend to overspend wastefully, yet short change their taxpayers when it comes to things like this. Such seems to be the case with the Ozaukee County panel that's recommending they accept DuPont's low offer. But, I guess since it's not their personal land and therefore not a personal loss they feel differnent then us homeowners who have to deal with any future monetary loss or loss of use (landscaping the way we want to get our privacy back). http://www.ozaukeepress.com/componen...poisoned-trees