Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got my offer. I'd share but I'm sure dupont is reading and if you are, shame on you for what you have done to the environment and the time it is taking to respond to this disaster. My yard will never be the same. Won't share by pm because I'm sure dupont is also posting as homeowners.

The offer:

1. It says basically its not an admission of guilt?

2. Dupont wants to remove the trees and pay a company that they choose.

3. No timeline for payment.

4. My pines were calculated on when the toxin hit them, not how big they would have been, they are frozen in growth.

5. I was assured my additional dying plants (roses, blackberries, Japanese Maples, etc would be listed, they weren't unless they were included in that little 15% that was supposed to cover everything else.

I have more trees and bushes dying, have a garden that didn't supply food and my prize blackberries are just about dead. The big Willow Oaks look like fall, leaves and branches on the ground and the bark is falling off the trees. Looked at my spruces out front last night and the needles just fall off. It has already traveled (neighbors tree is yellow) and nobody can say how long it will stay in the soil. If I sign and release dupont, when the epa steps in, its mine to clean up because I signed a release of dupont being responsible?

I think I need more protection for the future than what dupont is offering. If my yard is toxic, after I sign the release, its my problem. Don't think so.

Last edited by cindyb; 08-09-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Morning. I saw that on GMA this am and was heading to find it, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuy View Post
The lingering effects of herbicides, such as DuPont's Imprelis, is the greatest unknown we victims face and potentially the most costly. Take the example of another herbicide, Dioxin (aka Agent Orange) which reportedly was also made by DuPont. Imprelis is an aminocyclopyrachlor methyl herbicide - four times more powerful than Agent Orange.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...d06_story.html
"US starts landmark cleanup of Agent Orange nearly 4 decades after Vietnam Warís end" -Washington Post August 9, 2012

Some excerpts from the article link above:
"The United States began a landmark project Thursday to clean up a dangerous chemical left from the defoliant Agent Orange ó 50 years after American planes first sprayed it on Vietnamís jungles to destroy enemy cover."

"The Agent Orange issue has continued to blight the U.S.-Vietnam relationship because dioxin can linger in the environment for decades, entering the food supply through the fat of fish and other animals."

"Workers will first dig down about 2 meters (6.56 feet). The soil will then be heated to 335 degrees Celsius (635 Fahrenheit) in special containers where the dioxin will break down into oxygen, carbon dioxide and other substances that pose no health risks."

"Vietnamís deputy defense minister, Nguyen Chi Vinh, said Thursday he hopes to receive more support from the international community and the U.S. government to help remediate dioxin hotspots elsewhere."

"Dioxin is not water-soluble and only spreads when rainfall and runoff..." - sound familiar?

I do sympathize with those considering DuPont's direct resolution process since some feel at such a loss they don't know what to do (I've felt the same way). Even some golf courses that are run by county committees are considering caving to the very small offers from DuPont, mainly due to the politicians (committee members) who seem to have made the decision to not bring in experienced legal help to see how much value loss they truly suffered and will suffer. Plus, some courses felt they had too many trees anyhow (golfers don't always like a lot of trees for obvious reasons) so property value impact per sq foot compared to a homeowner's property value impact is much less according to university studies. Seems many politicians tend to overspend wastefully, yet short change their taxpayers when it comes to things like this. Such seems to be the case with the Ozaukee County panel that's recommending they accept DuPont's low offer. But, I guess since it's not their personal land and therefore not a personal loss they feel differnent then us homeowners who have to deal with any future monetary loss or loss of use (landscaping the way we want to get our privacy back). http://www.ozaukeepress.com/componen...poisoned-trees
Old 08-09-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know why settlements need to be kept secret. The more information, the more informed decisions can take place
Old 08-09-2012, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubetit View Post
I don't know why settlements need to be kept secret. The more information, the more informed decisions can take place
What I meant to say is that I don't know why offers need to be kept secret. I can understand why settlements aren't divulged.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Easy to figure out what they will offer you. Take your form the LCO did, match the tree height to the chart and then add 15%. You don't get paid to have your trees removed.

They didn't cover anything that wasn't on the first report that was turned in.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Easy to figure out what they will offer you. Take your form the LCO did, match the tree height to the chart and then add 15%. You don't get paid to have your trees removed.

They didn't cover anything that wasn't on the first report that was turned in.
I must have missed the chart
Old 08-09-2012, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Will find it for you, here's my heights that aren't listed

25 ft $3500.00
30 $4500.00
35 $6000.00
40 $7000.00
Old 08-09-2012, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Values

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Their "replacement value table"
1' = $30
2-4' = $90
5-6' = $230
7-8' = $360
9-10' = $520
11-12' = $650
13-14' = $930
15-16' = $1,000
17-18' = $1,120
19-20' = $1,910

25 ft $3500.00
30 $4500.00
35 $6000.00
40 $7000.00

But if you look back at Aircorp's posts, trees would have grown over the year we lost so the payment should be more not for the height when the trees was sprayed.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Will find it for you, here's my heights that aren't listed

25 ft $3500.00
30 $4500.00
35 $6000.00
40 $7000.00
I've had trees die in the last month that were listed as 1 or 2 on the original report. I have to reject any offer by that alone.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm watching the thread in the LCO's section. They posted Honey Locust are showing damage.

Getting more pictures, plants just continues to die including my bushes. I'm upset about my berries and vegetables, I've never used any type of spray so I knew they were safe to eat and share.