Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeNut View Post
I've been poking around the internet trying to catch up on the Imprelis issue--found this site, but need to know if it's legit--sounds too good to be true. Can someone knowledgeable comment??

http://www.growthproducts.com/pages/...eForTrees.html
I can't get the link they give to work http://expeng.anr.msu.edu/news/artic...affected_trees
Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

34,101 views of this thread
Old 08-17-2012, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

It's called growthproducts.com click on Arbor Care
Old 08-17-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't find his article on Sahara on the Michigan site.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=357609 Last July but no updates
Old 08-17-2012, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewater View Post
this imprelis saga is going to go on for years....just like the Benlate litigation 20 year battle that cost Dupont $2 billion and the latest jury verdict that awarded Monsanto $1 billion for patent infringement. Very interesting reading while you wait for your check
The biggest difference between those lawsuits and any of these new ones involving Imprelis is that DuPont has made certain acknowledgments to the public and to the EPA and even set up a resolution program (although woefully inadequate for many of us). They want to settle this. Seems too much against them if it goes to juries.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

UMN Extension Educator, Horticulture - Imprelis Summer 2012 Update

Summer 2012 Imprelis Update on August 15, 2012 3:02 PM
Kathy Zuzek, UMN Extension Educator, Horticulture

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/efans/ygnews...is-update.html

2012 Imprelis Soil and Vegetation Sampling and Analysis
Follow Up Study
- Office of INDIANA STATE CHEMIST AND SEED COMMISSIONER

http://www.isco.purdue.edu/pesticide...ing_report.pdf

"In June, the Office of Indiana State Chemist published the 2012 Imprelis Soil and Vegetation Sampling and Analysis Follow Up Study showing 2011 and 2012 levels of aminocyclopyrachlor, the active ingredient of Imprelis, from 11 sites where Imprelis was applied. The level of aminocyclopyrachlor (ACP) was measured in both soil and vegetation. Soil samples were taken to a depth of 4 inches and were then divided into the top 2" and the bottom 2 inches. Vegetation sampled included dead spruce twigs, willow twigs, and honeylocust twigs and leaves on Imprelis-damaged trees."

"...there is no information available as to what the remaining ACP levels in soil and vegetation mean in terms of continuing damage or a timeframe for safe replanting in Imprelis-applied soils."

"Remember that the effects of Imprelis on non-target species (the injured pines, spruce, and other species growing near or in turf where Imprelis was applied as a weed killer) are the same as the effects seen on targeted weed species. ACP is a synthetic auxin or plant hormone. When applied to plants, ACP causes undifferentiated cell division and elongation in areas of new plant growth, primarily branch tips and root tips. The undifferentiated cell division and elongation results in downward bending of leaves or needles, stem thickening, severe necrosis (tissue death), stunted new growth, calloused stems and leaf veins, and crinkling, cupping and twisting of leaves, needles and stems."

"Many honeylocust have died. Among those that survived, many have dieback in their crowns this year, a more open canopy due to reduced leaf formation, twisted and distorted foliage, and galls or tumors on the trunk and throughout the tree canopy."
Old 08-18-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Very interesting study---I went to the site and looked at the numbers---at least we know it IS decreasing, although at highly variable rates. What I would like to know, is if 400 studies were done, WHAT DID they find in those?? (What did they study?) How is it DuPont knows so little about a chemical they developed, marketed, and sprayed all over???? I hope at least a few people have lost their jobs (will we ever know that?)
Old 08-18-2012, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DuPont seems to be kind of used to these chemical dangers arising so I wonder if they just keep certain people employed under contract so they can't disclose secrets. Just a guess on my part. If they do wish to terminate someone at certain levels they'd surely offer a very cushy severance package with a non-disclosure hush agreement so the ex-employee can't tell authorities any thing damaging. One employee did bring information to authorities on potential dangers on another matter and he went through a lot, then had to sue in court. He won, but he and his family really went through it from what the news agencies reported. He had the guts to stand up and do the right thing.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As expected, DuPont trying to move class settlement fast as to get more into the main class action instead of victims going to law firms that are readying and filing more and more individual cases. Remember the DeBeers Diamond Class Action suit that set up a claim web portal? Still waiting on my little claim on that one, but it gets so split up. That one was not worth filing my own case of course. But this Imprelis mess is destroying my property and that means I had to get my own law firm that isn't interested in lumping me in with any class action settlement. Read below:

PHILADELPHIA - The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania judge presiding over the multidistrict Imprelis products liability litigation issued an order Aug. 8 scheduling a hearing in September to consider a motion by DuPont to establish a claim status Web portal on the Internet; DuPont filed the motion July 10 (In re: Imprelis Herbicide Marketing, Sales Practices & Products Liability Litigation, No. 11-2284, MDL 2284, E.D. Pa.