Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-27-2012, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

redcabo7,

Would love to see a copy of your letter since I am getting ready to start drafting my own.

FYI, I just received my settlement offer which is insulting to say the least. I have spoken to my LCO and they said the treatment program is a joke, they have yet to see any trees improve in any way once the damage shows. The other issue being, with evergreens, once you have dead branches in a spot, it is not as if there is EVER going to be new growth there.
The one thing that is not addressed in the settlement, that MIGHT make me more inclined to sign it is an offer to have an independent soil test done in my yard to give me some piece of mind. I am going to see if my LCO would be willing to do this since they received an exorbadant amount of money to remove my trees directly from Dupont, of which I had no say.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchoulipal View Post
redcabo7,

Would love to see a copy of your letter since I am getting ready to start drafting my own.

FYI, I just received my settlement offer which is insulting to say the least. I have spoken to my LCO and they said the treatment program is a joke, they have yet to see any trees improve in any way once the damage shows. The other issue being, with evergreens, once you have dead branches in a spot, it is not as if there is EVER going to be new growth there.
The one thing that is not addressed in the settlement, that MIGHT make me more inclined to sign it is an offer to have an independent soil test done in my yard to give me some piece of mind. I am going to see if my LCO would be willing to do this since they received an exorbadant amount of money to remove my trees directly from Dupont, of which I had no say.

patchoulipal-Earlier today I spoke to an individual (MSU Extension) I was referred to that is very familiar with the Imprelis issue. Though MSUE will not become part of the Imprelis or any claim, they will provide facts with what they know and one was the dead ends. It's not necessarily the leader you need to worry about but dead ends are the beginning/end of your tree. They stated once a tree is 50 percent gone, it's 100 percent gone. The conversation with them was little bit overwhelming with facts.

Personally I would not have my LCO test my soil, heck they should have never conducted the original tree assessment. Because I live in MI I will have my soil tested by MSU (http://www.msusoiltest.com/get-your-soil-test/) but unfortunately neither of us have time to get the test completed by the time DuPont requires there response.

My letter includes an arborist's assessment (cost me $300) as well as a landscape's replacement (which happens to be a company on DuPont's replacement list). I wish I had a couple of each for my rebuttal but I guess I was too ignorant to think DuPont would have done the right thing with their Agreement letter. I have a call into one more arborist in hopes he can come out tonight for a second opinion before I send out my letter tomorrow.

I provided these details for those of you who have not received their letter yet. Just depends on how involved you want to be and how you value your trees but as we can all contest to 30 days is not much time so don't wait for them, begin your due diligence so at least you are prepared with your facts.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

redcabo7 " I will begin receiving legal counsel prior to the 30 days to ensure I am covered. Anybody who has joined forces with a legal team in Southeast Michigan please let me know." I would be interested in speaking with you...I am located in Ann Arbor, pm me thanks.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Cannot find where to send a pm on this site. Please advise.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

redcao7- click on my name "rosewater" and you will see a drop down menu and go from there. thanks.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

any thoughts on this 15% compensation from Dupont (resolution pkg.) and just what was their intent????
Old 08-27-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewater View Post
any thoughts on this 15% compensation from Dupont (resolution pkg.) and just what was their intent????
My opinion (and it is only my opinion) is 15% is low. I need to cover my costs which currently includes arborist consultation but if they decide to pay me to remove trees then I will need to repair my property which 15% will not cover the extensive damage the heavy equipment will do. The ADDITIONAL PAYMENT section states "...for all other potential Imprelis-related claims DuPont that may exist, including but not limited to any claims for loss of aesthetic enjoyment; loss of use; loss in property value; or claimed damage to other trees, shrubs, grasses, or plants."

Just another note to all, MSUE states plant evergreens in spring, water them for 3-4 years not with sprinklers but a hose and finally mulch 3 inches thick at least a foot outside the drip line. If we have a warm winter, fall planted evergreens will not do well. This information is for those who may be planting soon.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

redcabo7 "My opinion (and it is only my opinion) is 15% is low" I agree, 15%, is low. Thanks for pointing the other info out...I need to completely read a copy of the claim agreement I have. Has your Michigan attorney advised on Michigan treble laws?
Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewater View Post
redcabo7 "My opinion (and it is only my opinion) is 15% is low" I agree, 15%, is low. Thanks for pointing the other info out...I need to completely read a copy of the claim agreement I have. Has your Michigan attorney advised on Michigan treble laws?
rosewater-I have not retained a MI attorney as of yet. I was finalizing the letter but while doing so had a lawyer (my boss) review.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

My offer, as well as my next door neighbor's offer, arrived today. They offered $12k to the neighbors, and $21k to me. That's for the removal of 4 trees and the "care" of 12 others. Other trees have died, others have declined and none have grown any taller. Bushes have died, and plants like my Vodoo Lily bulbs are dead after a 35 year run. I'm more concerned about what's in my soil and when i'll even be able to plant.