Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think we are still seeing the tip of the iceburg on damage. More of my plants are deforming and dying. Another bush is toast.

I missed this story:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...light=Imprelis
Old 09-27-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
I think we are still seeing the tip of the iceburg on damage. More of my plants are deforming and dying. Another bush is toast.
I'm wondering about this myself. We got our resolution agreement. Nothing really was a shocker due to the info found on this thread. My LCO is asking DuPont to replace 3 trees that DuPont wants to treat only due to increased damage.

In addition:
We got a third party LCO involved for second/third opinions and they are concerned about my ash trees. They say the curling we see is imprelis damage whereas the Davey arborist said it was the Emerald Ash Borer. I'm not seeing the symptoms of the EAB. So I might have 25+ more trees 30'+ tall to add to my claim. That would make 55+ trees and will completely decimate my park-like property.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a photo of the just part of the removal process homeowners can expect when their Imprelis damaged trees get removed. Big equipment coming onto your property means larger costs of relandscaping, resoding your lawn, utility companies to be hired if utilities are impacted, irrigation systems removed and replaced, landscape lighting moved/replaced, permits and so forth. Make sure you have all the proper estimates or you may be surprised what doesn't get compensated for if you go with DuPont's direct resolution process. Of course, will the proper amount of toxic soil be removed and replaced in the process is another question.

This photo is from a story on Imprelis damage by Chelsey Hinsenkamp in Elkhorn http://news.mywalworthcounty.com/?p=1137
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
In a statement issued a year ago, Michael McDermott, global business leader with DuPont, said the company is committed to working with impacted property owners promptly and fairly.
Promptly? Fairly? Biting my tongue.

Those trees are small compared to mine. Beside wondering where the soil is going, wondering where my soil is coming from.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a meeting with a homeowner and Dupont today for a later claim. Honey Locust, Red Bud, Jap Maples and Arbs. The funny thing is, the next door neighbor has the same damage but refuse to view the property cause its not on the schedule yet! I truly hate Dupont for what they have to to my life for the last 18 months.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been reminded by home builders and contractors that compensation consideration should also be taken into account in regards to the very possible concrete damage that can easily occur when heavy equipment rolls over or near driveways, patios and other hardscape features. Cracks do occur and contractors can't guarantee against that so make sure estimates for that are calculated. Many of us have Imprelis damaged trees lining our driveways and patios, so the digging process can cause concrete damage.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been reminded by home builders and contractors that compensation consideration should also be taken into account in regards to the very possible concrete damage that can easily occur when heavy equipment rolls over or near driveways, patios and other hardscape features. Cracks do occur and contractors can't guarantee against that so make sure estimates for that are calculated. Many of us have Imprelis damaged trees lining our driveways and patios, therefore there maybe a greater risk of concrete damage during the digging/removal/remediation process.

Also, here's an article about DuPont/Syngenta deal: http://www.pctonline.com/pct0912-syn...es-dupont.aspx

Excerpt from article "Syngenta to obtain DuPontís pest control business in a $125 million deal":
Why Sell? With a popular and growing product line backed by support that included a veteran staff and a wealth of R&D capabilities, why would DuPont decide to sell this business now?

In a letter to its customers following the announcement, Rik L. Miller, president, DuPont Crop Protection, wrote, ďDuring the past 10 years, Crop Protection and Professional Products have been in significant growth modes. Because of this, both will require additional resources and funding over the next several years. After going through a thorough and strategic review of the businesses, we have come to the conclusion that it will be difficult for the corporation to focus on both businesses given the strategic direction we are taking.Ē

Several sources contacted by PCT also pointed to a costly episode involving DuPontís turf herbicide Imprelis (a product not used in the structural market). One year ago, Imprelis was linked to widespread damage to non-target plants. Imprelis, released in the spring of 2011, controlled a wide range of broadleaf weeds with a new active ingredient ó aptexor ó and a new subclass of the carboxylic acid herbicides. The product gave lawn care operators a low-volume option to control a wide range of weeds. But in early summer of that year, applicators and university researchers in the Northeast and Midwest reported damaged conifers, primarily Norway spruce and white pine trees. A few months later, DuPont suspended sales of the product and EPA further banned its sale. According to DuPontís 2012 First Quarter Earnings Report, damage associated with Imprelis has cost the company $225 million and the total cost may eventually reach $575 million.

Gary Curl, president, Specialty Products Consultants, said, ďThe unfortunate circumstances involving Imprelis turf herbicide made it unlikely DuPont would stay in the professional products market.Ē
-PCTOnline.com Sept. 28, 2012 -by Brad Harbison, Jodi Dorsch and Bill Delaney
Old 09-29-2012, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

The article I spoke of much earlier is in the Dispatch today--on the front page:
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...p.html#comment
Old 09-30-2012, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I complained about DuPont not giving any info but I have to say I don't hear anything from the attorneys either.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.fox19.com/story/19680584/...ponts-imprelis

Quote:
Wright & Schulte LLC Files Imprelis Lawsuit on Behalf of Iowa Property Owner whose Trees were Permanently Damaged, Allegedly Due to DuPont's Imprelis Herbicide
Posted: Oct 01, 2012 5:16 AM EDT
This article was originally distributed via PRWeb. PRWeb, WorldNow and this Site make no warranties or representations in connection therewith.

SOURCE: Wright & Schulte LLC

Lawsuit Alleges use of DuPontís Imprelis Herbicide Resulted in Death and Damage to Tens of Thousands of Trees, and Will Likely Cause Damage to Tens of Thousands More.

Vandalia, OH (PRWEB) October 01, 2012

Wright & Schulte LLC, a leading national law firm and Ohio personal injury law firm / Ohio auto accident law firm has filed an Imprelis lawsuit on behalf of an Iowa property owner who sustained Imprelis permanent damage to trees, allegedly due to DuPontís Imprelis herbicide. The complaint, which was filed in U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio on September 7, 2012, names E.I. Du Pont De Nemours and Co. as Defendant (4:12-CV-418).