Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

That's more the way I understand it....
Old 03-19-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's an interesting blog about the work that goes into removing Imprelis damaged trees at a golf course and this doesn't even include full soil and roots removal and full soil remediation (they only did stump grinding since courses have more space than most homeowner's lawns where there may not be room for replanting in areas where there aren't roots from the dead trees). See the slide show on that page. http://mccgcm.blogspot.com/2013/01/t...ce-part-i.html
They said they need a minimum of 4-5 inches of frozen ground to avoid doing unacceptable damage to the course when the big equipment is brought in. What will our yards look like? Yikes.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.twincities.com/ci_2241550...innesota-trees

Can't remember if I have read this one or not.

Quote:
Even with Imprelis off the market for 15 months, the worst might not be over.

Kathy Zuzek,, assistant professor at the University of Minnesota Extension Service, said Imprelis mimics natural hormones to prevent plants from growing.

It's very slow-acting. That means trees that appear healthy might yet die because of Imprelis.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcabo7 View Post
For all of those who are settling, you are required to provide your Social Security Number therefore you will be paying taxes next spring.
Did you call and verify it was necessary? The line asks for "Social Security or Tax ID No." but is underneath the Business Name line. I do not beleive the settlement will be taxable.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
For all of those who are settling, you are required to provide your Social Security Number therefore you will be paying taxes next spring.
For the same reasons as stated by others, I do not believe that the settlement is going to be taxable.

If you are trying to imply that only those who settle with the CRA are going to be taxed, that would be completely wrong. If for some reason, the IRS does try to tax the settlement, they would tax all settlements, whether by CRA, Class Action Suit or by an individual suit. However, as I previously stated, I am quite confident that none of the settlements will be considered taxable income.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiman View Post
Did you call and verify it was necessary? The line asks for "Social Security or Tax ID No." but is underneath the Business Name line. I do not beleive the settlement will be taxable.
There were a lot of lines that had Business then skipped to where I (individual) had to continue. Vague but not confident with their government requirements.

Nobody would respond to my question...so I did my research online. It's all a crap shoot but I just found this online (Turbo Tax). Course of action will take place next year and will determine if these truly are taxable. Let's just say I don't trust that our government won't to try to get a piece somehow, someway.

" - Settlements for loss-of-use or loss-in-value of property may be taxable if the settlement exceeds your adjusted cost basis in the property.
•Property settlements that are less than the adjusted basis of your property are not taxable and generally do not need to be reported on your tax return.
•When property settlements exceed your adjusted basis in the property, the excess is gain. Gains on personal capital assets and business property are reported using these instructions below.
"
Old 03-19-2013, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubetit View Post
Way too many unanswered questions for me to settle. I have a 35' tree that needs to be removed along with the soil. I would have never planted this tree where it is but we bought a foreclosure, it is what it is. The tree is by my sump pump drainage, irrigation system, natural gas line and pet fence. The 15% additional isn't enough to have my gas company unhook while this work goes on.
Dupont settlement states:

"Dupont will arrange for proper removal and disposal of these trees (trees in table #1 of agreement recommended for removal) by paying a tree removal company directly for this service on Owner's behalf."

The first settlement agreement I saw listed a "service" price for removal costs that was equivalent to almost twice what I was quoted to remove my trees by a local company. The company I contacted was one of Dupont's replacement tree companies. No "service" fee listed on my agreement, just the term stated above.

Dupont has offered to arrange for removal - any costs necessary to remove them will have to be part of the removal process and billed to them by their contractors. Owners are specifically written out of the removal process.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaD View Post
In our case, they did not require any formal proof. I wrote to them and advised them that to HOA owns all but 2 trees on our claim report and gave them the ownership information for those 2 trees. Apparently, that was good enough for them, as they seemed to have accepted it and those two homeowners will have their name on the CRA and will also need to sign it.
Thanks PapaD,

I might just have them shoot off a copy of the portion of the master deed indicating the affected area. I'm just trying to head off any problems ahead of time. I am sick that my LCO (Not blaming him) killed off one of the association trees and sickened a second due to spray from my lawn and feel the responsibility to help see them through the process.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
There were a lot of lines that had Business then skipped to where I (individual) had to continue. Vague but not confident with their government requirements.

Nobody would respond to my question...so I did my research online. It's all a crap shoot but I just found this online (Turbo Tax). Course of action will take place next year and will determine if these truly are taxable. Let's just say I don't trust that our government won't to try to get a piece somehow, someway.

Of course, I do share your mistrust of government. Some in our government are probably licking their chops over what's taking place in Cyprus.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm searching for a fact sheet or chart which defines variety of trees, average growth rates and how many years it takes before maturity. Of course, each area of the country has different growth rates due to northern climates getting a shortened growing season and therefore those trees may take longer to mature than areas with a longer growing season. I'm in the Great Lakes area (northeast Ohio), but not in a micro climate. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Of course, this has to do with my Imprelis damage and that's why I posted in this section. Once all this toxic soil is removed from the property, I hope to one day be able to replant, but want to know how many years it will take before I get back what I lost in my landscape design and the look I once had.