Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Transfer tank?

Alright who has a transfer tank in the back of their truck? Brands? What kind of electric pumps? Pictures would be awesome!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gas or diesel?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a rds 95 gallon tank with a cheap northern tool 15 gpm 12 volt pump. We use it to fuel the bobcat and on rare occasion to fill the trucks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2012, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mine would definitly be diesel. Im looking to start into bobcat work. I really enjoy working out in the woods and running compact equipment. I have a lot of goals that i want to accomplish.

How much did you guys pick up yours for? I looked at UWS and Weatherguard and they seemed pretty nice. Pictures are greatly appreciated!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I paid 500 for the tank and 150 for the pump
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
I paid 500 for the tank and 150 for the pump
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats not bad at all.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

dont get one unless you have a real use for it..It just takes up bedspace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
dont get one unless you have a real use for it..It just takes up bedspace.
It would take up a lot less space than having like 6 or 7, 5 gallon gas cans instead of having the tank. And it would be a pain to stop and load it on the trailer and take it back to the gas station. So you win some and you lose some.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb195 View Post
It would take up a lot less space than having like 6 or 7, 5 gallon gas cans instead of having the tank. And it would be a pain to stop and load it on the trailer and take it back to the gas station. So you win some and you lose some.
If you don't go through a tank a week, stick to using the jerry cans. If business picks up to run the equipment more, then the cost of purchasing an in bed tank makes it worth while. If for some reason business slows after you purchase the tank, you're out that much more money that you could've put toward related bills, etc.

I looked into getting a portable tank, i'm not sure what the DOT regs are in the US, but if you carry more than 100gallons you need TDG (transportation of dangerous goods) signs on the vehicle in question. With gasoline I go through maybe 75L a week for my equipment - small, I know. It only takes a minute to get the cans ready to fill and another minute to put them back.

On a positive side, when I had my snowmobiles it was a pita filling those up in -35C weather from small 2-3gal fuel cans. I know you mentioned you'd use the tank for diesel fuel, but there are also many ways to utilize a portable tank in the future. It's just questioning if the purchase price worth while, right now..
Old 05-07-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
If you don't go through a tank a week, stick to using the jerry cans. If business picks up to run the equipment more, then the cost of purchasing an in bed tank makes it worth while. If for some reason business slows after you purchase the tank, you're out that much more money that you could've put toward related bills, etc.

I looked into getting a portable tank, i'm not sure what the DOT regs are in the US, but if you carry more than 100gallons you need TDG (transportation of dangerous goods) signs on the vehicle in question. With gasoline I go through maybe 75L a week for my equipment - small, I know. It only takes a minute to get the cans ready to fill and another minute to put them back.

On a positive side, when I had my snowmobiles it was a pita filling those up in -35C weather from small 2-3gal fuel cans. I know you mentioned you'd use the tank for diesel fuel, but there are also many ways to utilize a portable tank in the future. It's just questioning if the purchase price worth while, right now..
I dont need it right now im just trying to get suggestions and other things on the subject.