Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustutah View Post
I went from 2 crews of 3 to a solo operation. I have more money at the end of the year now and I don't feel guilty about no work for the guys. I think the owner and 1 helper is a good combo.
It is all about "winning in the margins" Check out the book

So does this book advise getting small.again....?

Interesting ....? Michael Gerber's E myth Revisited basically lays out the long term plan is to have a business that runs well without your constant hovering and managing. Also it should.be you long term goal to sell.the business.

I belive many of the principles Gerber promotes work for lawn care but really applies to brick and mortar type businesses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2012, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I've read the e-myth also. Honestly I just havn't figured it out yet.

Becuase of the employee cost and other companies low balling practies I think an honest company has a hard time getting ahead. I think it is possible I have just taken this route it gives me more $, less stress, but less time at home with fam. I have started another businesses lately and will probably focus my efforts on this.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exact....I understand that a business needs to grow and expand, and I agree with Gerber, but.....and a big but!!....is I dont think the time to expand is now. The times are tooooo volatile. Inflation is knocking at our doors, war with Iran is just down the street, things are falling apart in Europe...etc etc. Any one incident, and the house of cards will fall again putting us back into major recession. I for one don't want to be holding alot of debt when the **** hits the fan. Once the election is through, Iran is dealt with one way of the other, gas prices get more stable, etc....I'll expand once again
Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Everyone encourges me to hire people and grow big. Im enyoying being solo and plan on staying that way. Im not getting rich but part of life is enyoying what you do to earn your living. Funny thing most of my business is on the "lake" and I plan to do fish a little this year while Im working.
I am in the same boat! I have worked Solo for 11 years. I constantly listen to other local LCO's cry about employees not showing up and having to kill themselves trying to make up for that.

I have 65 profitable good paying accounts accounts. I own a home, my wife has not had to work for 6 years now.

Best of all, if I am ahead of schedule, I can take the day off or leave later in the day and not have to worry about upsetting my employees.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk395 View Post
I'm running 3 guys plus myself. My gross #s can be really high, but at the year end my net isn't as much as I would like it to be, plus I'm always chasing work to keep people busy.
I've had the thoughts of jacking up prices 10% all the way around this year, then if things go bad, just run a real lean outfit with myself and my best worker. That would cut down all my expenses, and eliminate the need for me to spend the weekends chasing work, as I would have enough already built it. In addition I could sell one truck, pay less for insurance etc. I'm really wondering if my net would be much different....anyone done something like this?
Nowadays, less is more. It is a shame that our governments (Fed, state, and local) see it fit to tax and regulate the hell out of businesses anymore.

And people wonder why the unemployment rate is so high.

I just refuse to do it!

I will not submit to Obama

Thank you very much...I feel better now.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For the guys who are running solo or one employee, what is your gross per day roughly? In an 8 hr day I can do 500-600 myself. My best employee can go out on his own and do 450-500.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow 500 would be nice. I'm grossing 375 a day 5 days a week. My biggest mower is a 32 walk behind. I was hoping moving up to a wright stander would improve my numbers. I have almost exclusively res accounts under 1/2 acre.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A 52 stander and you easily surpass 375 day. I'm thinking of raising a bunch of prices and by weed out the lower payers...
Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im same figures as you.....450-600 per solo set up (depending on tightness of mowing route). Last yr. we had 2 solo setups, and did quite well. For fall clean ups or larger jobs we will combine 2 workers into 1 truck(usually the dump)
Old 03-05-2012, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLI View Post
Im same figures as you.....450-600 per solo set up (depending on tightness of mowing route). Last yr. we had 2 solo setups, and did quite well. For fall clean ups or larger jobs we will combine 2 workers into 1 truck(usually the dump)
I'm planning on going to asecond vehicle on the road to help me catch up on apps and garden maintenance. As well as mowing. Do you find two solos r more productive than a two man crew. Because my thoughts are two guys can do say 18 lawns per day verses two solos can do 10 each. (Im sure the amount per day can be higher but im averaging for my business.

Thanks Rob