Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My 2 man mow crew in 8-10 hrs does 20 lawns. Avg about $800 a day. If I go out solo and send another guy out on a solo route we can do 25 lawns in 7-9 hrs. Route is tighter etc. I'm raising rates a bit this year and gonna see how it plays out.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Advantage of a two man crew over two solo guys is that you only need 1 truck and trailer rather than 2... Seems to me unless two solo guys are a lot more efficient they couldn't overcome the extra gas, truck, and trailer...
Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC.lawn.services View Post
Advantage of a two man crew over two solo guys is that you only need 1 truck and trailer rather than 2... Seems to me unless two solo guys are a lot more efficient they couldn't overcome the extra gas, truck, and trailer...
I ponder these logistics constantly. I belive.there is a cross over point where equally motivated workers running solo can be faster than a 2 man crew but probably only on small Lawns which I prefer anyhow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2012, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC.lawn.services View Post
I thought that as well but i know a local company that works that way a few days a week. He has it goin on. nice set ups and quality properties and does very nice work.

My area is tight andthe extra vehicle is going to be fairly effecient. Im going to give it a go. the vehicle is a nice little jeep so its a toy aswell. It will allow us to be two places at once, at least some of the time
Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A 1 man crew produces roughly 30% more revenue, or about $175 per day than each member of a 2 man crew. You have 20 working days in a month(without weekends)that comes out about $3500 which is enough to offset added equipment.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

MLI
I'm getting the same #s as you. Are you running 2...1 man opps now?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats the plan for now. One thing I like about the solos is anything that happens to equipment , or damage at customers property.....you know where to look! Its also a great way to judge performance. Some hot shots can make alot of money by doing what their suppose to, as opposed to hiding behind other workers in a group of 2 or 3.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLI View Post
A 1 man crew produces roughly 30% more revenue, or about $175 per day than each member of a 2 man crew. You have 20 working days in a month(without weekends)that comes out about $3500 which is enough to offset added equipment.
Thats encouraging, I will be looking forward to trying this. Ive got things planned out pretty well so I will never be to far from the other rig if there is a problem.

I also think i will have better response time to the extras that get requested, as before I couldn't get to them till all the grass was done. some weeks that was sat pm.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I think a lot of the factors in downsizing are based on what you want to do with your life and what are your priorities. For me, I prefer to have 3-4 employees. I'm 59 and I don't want to have to be out in the 98 degree heat in the middle of the summer. I've made that decision deliberately and understand I'm putting less $ in my pocket. If I was 15 years younger I'd do more of the work myself and keep more of the $.

There seems to be that "magic threshold" where a company can get large enough where the "economy of scale" kicks in and you can consistently make more $ by hiring more people and of course bringing in more revenue; but again it's a matter of priorities - are you willing to invest the time and $ to get there.
I've been in big time corporations before - "been there and done that". That's why I'm a landscaper. Low $, but high quality of life.http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smili...smiley-003.gif
Old 03-10-2012, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I were 59 I would do the same!