Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-29-2012, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Article by Bernie Granier

Bernie would probably not toot his own horn so I will alert you to a good article he wrote in the current issue of "Lawn and Landscape."

http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/ll02...-lighting.aspx

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 02-29-2012, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

very good article.

Luckily in my market I am not competing with a "bulk lighting installer"-yet. I tend to only compete with landscapers who really have no clue what they are doing. But I do find bulk stuff that is what most of my clients want- uplight the house and maybe a few trees. a path light or two by the drive entry area, etc. The article is correct- asking safety, security, walking paths and patio/entertainment usage questions does tend to get you into the more detailed aspect of designing lighting solutions for folks. Sometimes you have to help clients discover what their needs are, or rather what their property could be, rather than what they initially think they want. I find myself saying to folks on lighting ideas- "do you know what would be really interesting? "

On the "initial meeting with only both decision makers" is great in theory but difficult in execution. asking a lead to have both spouses or decision makers at the appointment is touchy at best. The unspoken implication is out there as soon as you mention it even in the nicest way-the person on the phone does not have the true authority to spend money, don't waste my time, etc. I have lost bids or leads just by asking.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for posting the link, Phil.

If anyone is interested in the unedited version, I have a copy of it on my site at http://www.starshineoftexas.com/files/article1.pdf.

David, those landscapers you describe are exactly who I mean when I say "bulk lighting installer." They're the guys that are selling fixtures, not effects, and really aren't giving any thought to making their designs unique.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Thanks for posting the link, Phil.

If anyone is interested in the unedited version, I have a copy of it on my site at http://www.starshineoftexas.com/files/article1.pdf.

David, those landscapers you describe are exactly who I mean when I say "bulk lighting installer." They're the guys that are selling fixtures, not effects, and really aren't giving any thought to making their designs unique.
Nice write up
Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Sponsor

Bernie,

Nice article, congratulations. I always enjoy your photos as well.

Sincerely,

Alan
(813) 978-3700

LED Landscape Lighting
LED Outdoor Lighting
Low Voltage Transformers
Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good article Bernie, I couldn't agree more. Very nice pics by the way, the color rendering looks perfect.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 03-02-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

As many of you know, I am a longtime landscaper just getting started in lighting.
I especially appreciated one of Bernie's points: that it can be helpful to look outside from inside the home. I have often done this when designing landscaping but hadn't thought about it from the lighting aspect. Thanks for making that connection for me, Bernie.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 03-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Sponsor

Very nice article Bernie. I'd like to see another one where you share more of your insights on the subtleties of design - targeted to homeowners - we need to spread our enthusiasm into the end-user market so more and more homeowners will learn to appreciate the finer points.

By the way, we featured Bernie in our "Masters of Landscape Lighting" series in our blog. Read the blog.

I'd love to do more in this series and bring more recognition to many great designers using our products - send me a note if you'd like to be considered for the series.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement.

Phil - regarding looking at the job from inside, I kind of stumbled on that by accident on a job after it was done. There was a beautiful birch tree outside the master bedroom window that I uplit. This window as above the bed, from about 7' to close to the 10' ceiling. At night, the view of the uplit tree through that window was really breathtaking, it looked like a beautiful painting hanging on the wall. Since then, I've made it a point to look at things from inside the house and imagine how it's going to look at night.

Steve - I've been meaning to re-work this article for the consumer rather than other lighting guys but haven't had a lot of success. Thanks for posting the link to the blog you wrote on me as well.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good stuff there buddy! We always look at projects from the inside and clients feel that I really am looking at the whole project. I also point out to them that since they're paying, they should have a great view!

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes