Register free!

Old 02-16-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuakwhit View Post
So along with this product is it recommended to spread compost over the yard once per year.
I'm sure you recognize that the Holganix microbes are turning Lawn Debris into N as well as CYCLING the other nutrients back into the soil...
The figure for Lawn Debris cycling N back into the soil(ANNUALLY) is roughly 25%,,, so you'll want more FOOD that microbes can turn into N and I suggestted Compost for that purpose... Just My Preference!!!

But what ever your preference,,, All that needs to be determined is the amount of compost(or ALTERNATIVE Material) needed to satisfy the other 75%, ONCE your food source runs out...

When the Lawn Debris food source runs out, IS the point in time you need to do more than just spray MICROBES onto the Lawn to keep it going...
Some lawns are so full of potential food source that the microbes may very well keep feeding the grass for several years,,, but sooner or later the food supply runs out... it is unavoidable...

The question in response to your question is... Are you asking about "Alternative sources of Carbon" becuz you think it will supply N???

Because Compost provides N and is Carbon Based,,, as are the lifeforms it is composed of... If we Keep It Simple(KIS), then it will make sense...
Old 02-16-2013, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If we are sticking with the issue of replacing that extra 75% of missing N,,, then other alternatives to the compost as a food source for Holganix microbes, I would consider Chicken Poo products, high protien vegetable products, such as Soybean Meal, or even Milorganite... The Microbes can only work with foodsources that will provide the needed N as they can NOT produce N from a MINERAL environment such as sand or clay... even the available SOM may not be the right stuff to produce N after a couple years of consumption, by Holganix...
I hope this helps...
Old 02-16-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I'm sure you recognize that the Holganix microbes are turning Lawn Debris into N as well as CYCLING the other nutrients back into the soil...
The figure for Lawn Debris cycling N back into the soil(ANNUALLY) is roughly 25%,,, so you'll want more FOOD that microbes can turn into N and I suggestted Compost for that purpose... Just My Preference!!!

But what ever your preference,,, All that needs to be determined is the amount of compost(or ALTERNATIVE Material) needed to satisfy the other 75%, ONCE your food source runs out...

When the Lawn Debris food source runs out, IS the point in time you need to do more than just spray MICROBES onto the Lawn to keep it going...
Some lawns are so full of potential food source that the microbes may very well keep feeding the grass for several years,,, but sooner or later the food supply runs out... it is unavoidable...

The question in response to your question is... Are you asking about "Alternative sources of Carbon" becuz you think it will supply N???

Because Compost provides N and is Carbon Based,,, as are the lifeforms it is composed of... If we Keep It Simple(KIS), then it will make sense...
When we are dealing with an organic system we do not focus on N. With all due respect Smallaxe, you do not have the background to speak with authority on organic lawn care.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK then...
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

No I will still apply N but at low rates .5 or lower. I was just trying to figure out how to keep the microbes feed even after the lawns resources have gone.

And if you haven't figured out by now I have not got one clue what I'm talking about just trying to piece all this organic stuff together and learn what the soil is made up of so I can build a better lawn care program.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuakwhit View Post
No I will still apply N but at low rates .5 or lower. I was just trying to figure out how to keep the microbes feed even after the lawns resources have gone.

And if you haven't figured out by now I have not got one clue what I'm talking about just trying to piece all this organic stuff together and learn what the soil is made up of so I can build a better lawn care program.
Posted via Mobile Device
I suggest you go elsewhere to learn about organics. Too much nonsense on this forum.

For a pure organic lawn care program start here: http://www.organiclandcare.net/
Buy some books at their store. I also recommend http://www.ecolandscaping.org/about/
http://teamingwithmicrobes.com/home/
http://www.norganics.com/products/bo...anagement.html

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt