Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Do your local dumps take the mulch if you don't have somewhere on your property to put it?
Old 03-02-2012, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not for sure if they take it or not but I'm pretty sure they do. My dad has an orchard so he is always wanting the old mulch I take out since appearance means nothing to him. My clients want it to "look" good rather than its function.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Member

So, all the guys gave you the modest answer. Here's the expensive version. Get a new or used C4500 with a 15 foot dump body, mount a billy goat debris loader (the new 32" wide hose and 25hp subaru motor)....and affix a tube from loader to said truck, add gas and suck out the mulch. But really, it could be done with a simple burlap and your hands...how hard do you want to work?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Run the blower and pick up the loose stuff... the half rotted ground cover is serving a very useful function to your landscape and what ever color it may be will be easily by the new stuff...
This is the correct answer. Mulch turns into a beneficial mat of decomposed matter and surface roots from the plants. If it's really thick use a leaf rake and remove the top layer. If you apply the correct amoount of new mulch you wont have any color change issues. This why I stopped using weedblock fabric. It was actually inhibiting plant development and didn't seem to make much difference in weed control provided the bed was properly prepped in the first place.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
This is the correct answer. Mulch turns into a beneficial mat of decomposed matter and surface roots from the plants. If it's really thick use a leaf rake and remove the top layer. If you apply the correct amoount of new mulch you wont have any color change issues. This why I stopped using weedblock fabric. It was actually inhibiting plant development and didn't seem to make much difference in weed control provided the bed was properly prepped in the first place.
Weed block is a waste of the customers money and a pain to anyone later. I only use it if the customer doesn't listen to reason and insists.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 03-03-2012, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Only time we ever remove mulch is when there is years of layering going on and no breakdown. Basically where bad practices were used in the mulch beds.

Our mulch cycle is every 2 years. In that time, mulch is maintained by turning it in the spring to aid in breakdown. That and any good landscape that is maintained properly will loose a bit during cleanups, and things like hedge trimming.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Only time we ever remove mulch is when there is years of layering going on and no breakdown. Basically where bad practices were used in the mulch beds.

Our mulch cycle is every 2 years. In that time, mulch is maintained by turning it in the spring to aid in breakdown. That and any good landscape that is maintained properly will loose a bit during cleanups, and things like hedge trimming.

Wow, 2years is way too long down here. It needs to be refreshed every 6 mo. IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Wow, 2years is way too long down here. It needs to be refreshed every 6 mo. IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
You don't have the frost/freeze cycles like we do. Basically you get 12 months of decomposition compared to our 7 months.

That and I wouldn't be surprised in the mulch longevity due to regional differences.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.