Register free!

Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Mansion + Celsius

Hello everybody.

Has anyone tried the mix of Masion+Celsius in St.augustine? I want to ask before I ruin my green lawn and before the tempature go up.
Thank you for the input.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have done it. However, I am not using normal spray equipment. This mix and anything I apply to a lawn expecting it to be selective is applied through a pressure regulated wand or boom set to apply a defined quantity per area as a broadcast application. It is not hard to "spot spray" and leave the lawn looking like a missile test site.

If applied correctly, there should seldom be a need to add Mansion to Celsius. The main feature of Celsius is control of broadleaf weeds that low rates of Three Way do not control very well.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-01-2012, 05:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyfans View Post
Hello everybody.

Has anyone tried the mix of Masion+Celsius in St.augustine? I want to ask before I ruin my green lawn and before the tempature go up.
Thank you for the input.
What is the reasoning behind your thinking? Mansion (metsulfuron) is used for hard to manage pest while Celsius with MSO is used for targeted coverage.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you greendoctor your right, no profesional equipment here and I only do spot spraying on my lawn. I haven't tried Celsius yet and maybe that's why I am asking. I have been using Mansion at low rates on my lawn for spot spraying with super results not burning at all but some weeds like dandelion just get stunned but not dead even after doing reapps 4 week after. I was asking beacuse Mansion can burn the grass when is 85 outside which will be soon. I was just thinking of using both chemicals at low volumes to obtian that result in one app. Also I'm not using surfactant just tiny drop of dish soap for being afraid of burning the lawn.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I have done it. However, I am not using normal spray equipment. This mix and anything I apply to a lawn expecting it to be selective is applied through a pressure regulated wand or boom set to apply a defined quantity per area as a broadcast application. It is not hard to "spot spray" and leave the lawn looking like a missile test site.

If applied correctly, there should seldom be a need to add Mansion to Celsius. The main feature of Celsius is control of broadleaf weeds that low rates of Three Way do not control very well.
Do you think the missing of MSO in my Mansion would be the problem?
Old 03-02-2012, 02:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Big problem. Nonionic surfactants or dish soap does not do the same thing as 1/2% MSO. Weeds growing in tropical areas develop thick waxy leaves to prevent dehydration. This also serves to shield weeds from herbicides. MSO will cut through the wax. Herbicides such as Mansion and Celsius also dissolve in MSO so they are carried through the leaves of weeds. Certainty, Image, and Sedgehammer also behave in the same fashion. If you are thinking about using MSO, better get your rates per 1000 sq ft right and how much area a gallon of spray actually covers down to a T. MSO does not improve selectivity of herbicides.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Big problem. Nonionic surfactants or dish soap does not do the same thing as 1/2% MSO. Weeds growing in tropical areas develop thick waxy leaves to prevent dehydration. This also serves to shield weeds from herbicides. MSO will cut through the wax. Herbicides such as Mansion and Celsius also dissolve in MSO so they are carried through the leaves of weeds. Certainty, Image, and Sedgehammer also behave in the same fashion. If you are thinking about using MSO, better get your rates per 1000 sq ft right and how much area a gallon of spray actually covers down to a T. MSO does not improve selectivity of herbicides.
greendoctor, thank you for taking the time to reply. I will have to buy a small quantity of MSO and do some testing and calculations before applying it to my lawn. Thanks for making it clear that it would not improve selectivity, but improve how the product adhere to the weed.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had to emphasize the last part because I heard complaints about how "hot" MSO made a spray mix. The closest thing I do to spot spraying is with a regulated fan nozzle that puts down a specified amount per area covered. I walk past a patch of weeds as I am holding down the trigger, applying the equivalent of a gallon per 1000 sq ft.