Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

mytownlawncare.com

1. Is a good idea to use your town name and lawn care in your domain name so a Google search picks you up on generic searches? A local guy is doing this even though he uses another company name. He is at or near the top of all local lawn mowing/care searches with a separate web page button and page for each town he works in. I am sure he is using other strategy's but this seems to be working for him as he is a non player in the overall scheme of local busy company's.

2. Is there a way to use mytownlawncare.com and myothertownlawncare.com as domains that link to the same site saving hosting fees. These are low traffic sites I am sure so excessively high traffic or band width should not be a problem.

Last edited by dishboy; 03-01-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

#1, yes, google likes to see keywords in the url, specifically the domain name.

#2 this depends on your domain registrar and/or hosting company settings. There are a few scenarios:

a. Most domain registrars let you set an option so that when a visitor comes to your domain, it will redirect to another URL.

b. Many hosting companies will allow you to park another domain on your account, so that if your main domain on the account is AcmeLawnCare.com, if you park TexasLawnCare.com on the account, it will feed out the AcmeLawnCare.com site.

c. Also many hosting companies let you set up additional domains on the account, and have them point to a different directory on your account, so you can feed a completely separate site for it.

Things to consider for SEO. Google does NOT like to see duplicate content on different "sites", and can ding ya for it. See http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...ss-domain.html for more on this.

Also, I'm not sure here, but if you just go the route of setting up the domain, and then have it redirect off to the other site (not just feed the same thing), you probably are not going to gain much from it since you are sending them off to another site. If you go this route, have the SEO friendly domain actually feed the site, then use the "company name/rememberable" domain redirect to the other one. This way google factors in the domain to the rankings better.

The best option, microsites, built up each with unique content, that all reference back to you main site. These microsites can be built up for specific keywords. This takes a lot more work, but done right, can have great long term effects.

-Greg
Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
1. Is a good idea to use your town name and lawn care in your domain name so a Google search picks you up on generic searches? A local guy is doing this even though he uses another company name. He is at or near the top of all local lawn mowing/care searches with a separate web page button and page for each town he works in. I am sure he is using other strategy's but this seems to be working for him as he is a non player in the overall scheme of local busy company's.

2. Is there a way to use mytownlawncare.com and myothertownlawncare.com as domains that link to the same site saving hosting fees. These are low traffic sites I am sure so excessively high traffic or band width should not be a problem.
1.) I'll differ from Greg here in that, while there is a debate as to whether keywords do much for domains, I have never seen that they do...or don't. In all of my year, I've seen that they pay off more for direct type-in and link recognition more than they do for pure search engine reasons. One begat another, so to speak, but you only have to look at the vast number of made up company names ("floopSplashVir.com...the leader online tennis ball sales") to recognize that the site's content, and linkage, are key.

2.) Yes. If you want to use the content of one site, but have multiple possibilities, there's no problem. Google "301 Redirect". But, from a realistic standpoint, being a locally-targeted business, you won't get much use of multiple domain names (short of misspelled domain names). Your angle would be more for relying on direct type-in traffic, which your business is not at all a target of. My advice? From my experience, just build out one good site and focus on that. If you need multiple domain names for an actual reason, sure, but there's no reason to go with disparate names for non-disparate sites.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Goes to show how things change... Found this video from last year and at the end Matt said they were adjusting it some to tone down the importance of keywords in the domain, so it is not as relevant as it used to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAWFv43qubI

One thing to note in the video, where he talks about domains that are not keyword specific, most of those either had a LOT of marketing backing, are ones you really wouldn't search for (ie, if you need it, you already know its name), and/or have been around way long time so it's not the same game as "just starting out" now.

See this is why I love forums, learn something new everyday, and sadly with SEO things do change.

-Greg
Old 03-23-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

All other things being equal, keywords in the domain name do make a difference. I'm competing against a guy right now who has a shitty site but has a good domain name. I wish Google would not weigh it so heavy.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtislawncare View Post
All other things being equal, keywords in the domain name do make a difference. I'm competing against a guy right now who has a shitty site but has a good domain name. I wish Google would not weigh it so heavy.
I'd be interested in taking a look at your domain and the competitor. If you don't feel like posting them here, feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to offer suggestions.

Google has been minimizing it's importance, and with the large number of sites I oversee, I've not seen much of a tangible impact and it's something I've never sweated when it comes to naming client projects. That said, my two most successful sites (one mine, one a clients) have domain names that are purely keyword-driven, mostly because they're a search phrase match with great supporting content.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

all good advice, the other thing to remember is SEO is for sure a crock pot and not a microwave. It seem to take a while to get up in the listings but as suggested there's lots of things that can be done, not the least of which is add new content often with your keywords in it.