Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Possible move to San Diego area?

I'm possibly moving to the San Diego area and I'm curious to know what it's like out there. Does the grass grow year round? Is there less grass to cut cause it's dried up half the time? What's the competition like?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have family out in San Diego area and from what I've heard a lot of lawn care companys out that way lay a lot of sod and generally the properties are pretty small and only the high end neighborhoods and area's have grass.

My wife and I wanted to move out there but it just wouldn't be as good as Charlotte, NC because everyone has grass here lol.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it is in the San Diego area. I would google other lawn companys in the area and see what all they offer but I noticed most of them offer sod and seem to do a lot of sod work.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
I have family out in San Diego area and from what I've heard a lot of lawn care companys out that way lay a lot of sod and generally the properties are pretty small and only the high end neighborhoods and area's have grass.

My wife and I wanted to move out there but it just wouldn't be as good as Charlotte, NC because everyone has grass here lol.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it is in the San Diego area. I would google other lawn companys in the area and see what all they offer but I noticed most of them offer sod and seem to do a lot of sod work.
Just like any other area if you limit yourself to one service, things will probably be tough. I was out there a year ago on vacation and yes, most lots are small, but it is more gardening type work than lawn cutting. I want to move out there as well and from people I've talked to that used to live there, if you are a legit business, you can do very well. There is a lot of money in coastal San Diego and there is a very high end area called rancho Santa fe with properties that are 2-5 acres. It is all about getting the right customers. In an area that has a lot of money, I would find it hard to believe that a quality company couldn't do well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My location: North SD County
Climate: The Best - Year round growth on coast and valley for fesuce, very slow bermuda growth. Most accounts go from weekly to bi-weekly in early december, and most are going back right about now (march).
Everyone has irrigation bud. Few people, even in the most modest neighborhoods, are worried about rationing. Not that that`s a good thing, but you rarely have to lose work.
Profit margin varies 80% in 20 miles and I can only go off experience here but the market is as or more saturated than most places. Then again the requirements here are so poorly enforced that anyone and everyone has or had given the profession a try. Just market diversity and genuine experience and education and you should find some good clients.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

On my site (servicevines.com) there's a fair amount of landscape providers in the San Diego area listed. You can see what services they offer there. From my looking on craigslist seems like there are lot of companies. Talked to a couple of people who install artificial grass in that area which I think is in response to what TLC was talking about regarding rationing