Register free!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Spyker or Eathway

Looking for my first spreader and narrowed it down to spyker or earthway, lesco and anderson are hard to find and a little to much money right now. Does anyone have any experience with both or either one and to which one would be the better choice? Thanks
Old 03-03-2012, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have any general model questions or specific questions on model comparision I'd be happy to help, please let me know.
Jeff - VP Sales at Earthway.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You want stainless steel. Inflatable turf tires. You want a 5 year warranty on the gears, (nothing less). Make sure it weighs 28 pounds or less. No sense in pushing the extra weight. No sense lifting a heavy spreader onto the truck 20 times per day. Get the 50 pound capacity--you will not be putting more than one bag in the hopper at a time. Shoulder-wide comfortable hand grips slanted down at a 45 degree angle are best.
Get the hopper cover.
I suggest, drill some holes and put a lifting handle on the left side of the frame near the hopper.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a spyker last season and it has worked out well, but listen to what Riggle said - he knows his stuff! I will probably get an earthway next time to compare them.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a chance to examine several Earthway spreaders closely Monday at my fert dealer.
http://www.earthserviceandsupply.com/

Upon close examination their spreaders look nice. I looked underneath and there were adjustments to partially close off holes of the left and right to adjust to a perfectly even pattern. The optional premium models had both adjustments mounted right on the handle with flexible cables controlling the openings. You can adjust to an even pattern on the fly. The strainer screen was heavy plastic (no-rust). The handle height is adjustable.
http://earthway.com/product/professi...readers/video/
Old 03-07-2012, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I had a chance to examine several Earthway spreaders closely Monday at my fert dealer.
http://www.earthserviceandsupply.com/

Upon close examination their spreaders look nice. I looked underneath and there were adjustments to partially close off holes of the left and right to adjust to a perfectly even pattern. The optional premium models had both adjustments mounted right on the handle with flexible cables controlling the openings. You can adjust to an even pattern on the fly. The strainer screen was heavy plastic (no-rust). The handle height is adjustable.
http://earthway.com/product/professi...readers/video/
Im going to get the earthway I like the idea of the adjustable holes kinda like the anderson and it is 100$ cheaper then the spyker.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan's Lawn Care View Post
Looking for my first spreader and narrowed it down to spyker or earthway, lesco and anderson are hard to find and a little to much money right now. Does anyone have any experience with both or either one and to which one would be the better choice? Thanks
We tested all the models you listed and the Spyker came out on top all the way. Stainless steel lower unit with an Accuwave Wedge to adjust the spread from right to left. We have the 288 model on our T3000 riding applicator with great success. With hundreds of hours of test time on them. We had a PHD test the 288 on our T3000 and he said it was the best spread he had ever seen. Also look at what the largest company in the business buys
Old 03-07-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Lesco 80lbs spreaders....built like tanks