Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Calling It Quits

Have a chance to help at one of the Power Plants I worked at. Got stuff for sale on the for sale page. Giving my accounts to two of my friends. May have some stuff left over but think everything is gone. Good luck with the GAS prices this year and dont work to hard.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you going to hang around? This is sad. You will be missed. Good luck at your new job and stay safe.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here's hoping everything goes well for you. Any decision can be a tough one, but finding a good job in today's economy is hard to pass up. Best of luck. Neill
Old 03-03-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I started mowing in 99 to keep my Dad busy. It took off and i was still working at IP&L. I kept telling Dad we cant handle to many more with me working full time. Mom said it was the old widow women looking at Dads butt that was getting us the business. Man we could have had 150 accounts if we wanted to, there was just no end. You see so many people who dont want to work and the work is out there around here anyway. But you have to want to work.
Retired at age 48 from IP&L and was going to mow full time, but another Utility wanted me so I went back to work then retired at 55. Kept mowing, but they keep calling and wanting me to help. Money is to good to turn down and cant do both. Will be 60 the 12th. I guess I can up the fertilizer on mine cause I will miss it.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Good luck at the power plant, sometimes a change is a good thing.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck. What I don't understand is that you say there is a ton of work out there and you could have 150 accounts. Why would you change if you can gain that much business? Either way I guess, as long as you're comfortable and happy that's what matters.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2012, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Good luck. What I don't understand is that you say there is a ton of work out there and you could have 150 accounts. Why would you change if you can gain that much business? Either way I guess, as long as you're comfortable and happy that's what matters.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just did not want to hire anybody. My Dad, wife are about like me we are hard to please and want everything to look good. Just didnt want the headaches. I probably would not have retired so early from IP&L but I was not going to work for the company that bought us out. They didnt believe in any supervision. I got a good retirement and paid insurance starting at that time so I took it.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Cool. Good luck with the change.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2012, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSide Cutter View Post
I started mowing in 99 to keep my Dad busy. It took off and i was still working at IP&L. I kept telling Dad we cant handle to many more with me working full time. Mom said it was the old widow women looking at Dads butt that was getting us the business. Man we could have had 150 accounts if we wanted to, there was just no end. You see so many people who dont want to work and the work is out there around here anyway. But you have to want to work.
Retired at age 48 from IP&L and was going to mow full time, but another Utility wanted me so I went back to work then retired at 55. Kept mowing, but they keep calling and wanting me to help. Money is to good to turn down and cant do both. Will be 60 the 12th. I guess I can up the fertilizer on mine cause I will miss it.

You listed the #1 thing holding our company back. I can not find anyone who wants to work. It does not matter if I offer $9-15/hr. They just don't want to work. Its makes me so upset. If we would just push a little harder on advertising I think we could sign over 100 accounts this year. We just can not find the man power. The ones that work two weeks and quit are the worst.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hope the new job works out for you