Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2012, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

They have that new pipe that has that foam around it .thats what i use in my drains .i dig them about 18 inches deep put the pipe in then put drain rock in then put creek rock if you want it to look natural or you can put mulch back over it to hide it . Really should just put them big enough to handle the amount of water you're dealing with .18 inches will take a lot of water you could run it down the edge of the patio or the edge of the mulch the just run some off of it under the fence
Old 03-04-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't anyone here actually calculate drainage requirements, or do we just engage in guesswork and hope it works?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the ideas guys. My sketch drawing wasnt the most accurate. The pavers form a track in the backyard for their dogs to run on, and inside of the track is mulch and river stone. In the first picture, you are looking away from the deck and toward the lower part of the backyard. In the second picture, the fence on the right side of the picture is the low part of the backyard, and that patio swing is where most of the water drains to. There is drainage system installed in the ground right outside the fence near the patio swing. After a heavy rain, the water washes all the mulch against the fence making a big muddy mess. I am leaning toward putting a french drain right past the pavers at the bottom of the backyard so the water can drain through the fence easier and toward that underground drainage system.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 03-04-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Doesn't anyone here actually calculate drainage requirements, or do we just engage in guesswork and hope it works?
Evidently not. I am not that impressed at the pictures and it is not surprising they have issues in the back yard.

So they resort to the SWAG (silly wild assed guess) method of drainage management.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 03-04-2012, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

All great suggestions/solutions, guys. May I suggest creating a dry riverbed in the area where the water is draining to? Since the water is already going there, why fight it? Just put in a riverbed, and when it rains, the water will just flow over the rocks and on to wherever it is already heading. Good luck with your project!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

why would you have to waste you time to calculate drainage for something that small ??? put what you know would more than enough water out . i mean he is not doing the sub grade one a commercial project or sub division . then maybe you wouldn't want to just guess it .
Old 03-04-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procut lawn expert View Post
why would you have to waste you time to calculate drainage for something that small ???
1) Because that is what professionals do.

2) So you don't end up with the problem the guy is having now after the landscaping/hardscaping is done.

3) So you don't appear like an amateur hack to your clients.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

well if you know anything about it you should be able to do something that small off the top of your head . i am no flaming to be a professional excavator but in a french drain all you have to know is permeability foot per sec, area normal to flow per sec ,flow line slop,
area foot of drain trench . i'm not sure but if you don't even know that much you should't be doing the drain job call in the back up .
Old 03-04-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. Im pretty sure no one here is going to calulate water flow mathematically here. Technically I could attempt to calculate the inflow of water over the backyard in a minute, and make sure my drainage could support that rate in outflow per minute but that does not need to be done for this scale. And yes I will make sure my pipe is large enough to support enough outflow of water.

My questions are what professional advice and suggestions would you guys give to help in this situation. How would you guys go about doing this. Yes I am a professional, but I deal mostly in maintenance and do not have the most experience in drainage or excavating.

My plans so far are to install a french drainage sytem along the back fence. Probably dig 12-18in down. Use gravel, fabric, piping etc. Route the water underneath the fence so it is not dammed up thus allowing it to flow outside to the underground drainage. Sound good?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdDayBrad View Post
All great suggestions/solutions, guys. May I suggest creating a dry riverbed in the area where the water is draining to? Since the water is already going there, why fight it? Just put in a riverbed, and when it rains, the water will just flow over the rocks and on to wherever it is already heading. Good luck with your project!
That would make sense. And you wouldn't tear up the yard digging a french drain or having any of the other expeses. And you will know it will always work and never plug up or have other headaches.

Veritas and æquitas