The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2012, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass disaster View Post
ok. i've doubled my price.

$20 is a much better starting point.

yes some restrictions naturally apply. this is for standard residential yards only.
I did this $20 intro cut a few years back. I gained few decent clients however there were a considerable number of one time cheap cut people. What automatically goes through their mind is this guy will continue to show up for $20. I only put this out on smaller lawns. Offer expires when route is full. Many paid the full quote price on the first cut anyhow. Do Not give them a regular quote for service then still do a cheap first cut. If they want a quote for mowing they will have to wait until after the first cut is over or they have just skipped the cheap first cut. They can’t have it BOTH WAYS. I look at this way. it takes time to drive out for an estimate anyhow just do the first cut THEN give them the quote. Once you mow it once you have a better feel for the property. It can work to your advantage.

You need to have fine print in there for overgrown lawns etc. You need to be paid on the spot or no cut. If edges are overgrown give only a sample of blade edging.

I was considering doing an upgraded version of this at $25 intro cut, $30 for a corner and $35 up to half acre. But what is happening now is there are legitimate long time companies in my area that are full service now putting quotes for mow and trim at $24.99 regular weekly service that I mow for $35.

Sure enough another lawnsite member put a $24.99 door hanger on one of my clients lawns last Spring that I mowed for $35.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass disaster View Post
ok so i lost some of my good elderly accounts due to them moving to "homes"

i need something to get my foot in the door, to stand out from my competition.

i feel once i can them them to contact me i can make about 75% of my sales.

offering $10 first mowings to residential customers i think is the ticket. if nothing else it will draw some attention and hopefully steer them to my we site.

thinking of running a add saying

1 $10 mowing for new customers
call xxx
or visit my web site
*please mention $10 mowing when contacting.

then when they go to my web site in place of my "quick quote" icon i could put... Get your free quote here, sign up for a $10 mowing service.
I understand you want to add customers and do it quickly, as you said you want to stand out. I think that this is the wrong way to stand out.

The customers you want are not interested in a one time cheap cut, they want a pro who will provide good reliable service.

Getting your foot in the door is a matter of good timing. Getting back to the customer when the iron is hot and delivering before it gets cooled off. What you should want is customers who can afford your services and will become accustomed to paying for the quality service. A big discount will attract people who cannot afford your services and will never provide a profitable cash flow.

Now come off the ledge, and step back in where it is safe!
Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post

Sure enough another lawnsite member put a $24.99 door hanger on one of my clients lawns last Spring that I mowed for $35.

What happened? Did you loose the client to the lower bid? Or did you see the door hanger first and get rid of it? Or did the client ignore the lower quote and stay with the service he was happy with?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkintheGarden View Post
What happened? Did you loose the client to the lower bid? Or did you see the door hanger first and get rid of it? Or did the client ignore the lower quote and stay with the service he was happy with?
No she stuck with me. She thought the quote was ridiculously low and almost comical and desperate. I still have the door hanger. In fact she is getting a price increase to $40 or $45 per mow or a prepay discount not sure yet. The grassy swell is a PITA and a corner lot grassy swell to boot. The rest of the lawn is manageable and small but itís over fertilized and mulch mowing is more of a hassle than bagging frankly.

I like the first cut idea at a lower price but it needs to be firmly phrased they are forfeiting a quote for service until after the lawn is mowed. I think this is best left on a coupon type offer. It is a zero obligation offer but truly geared towards those looking for continued service.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Old 03-04-2012, 03:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to survive in todays economy.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
I did this $20 intro cut a few years back. I gained few decent clients however there were a considerable number of one time cheap cut people. What automatically goes through their mind is this guy will continue to show up for $20. I only put this out on smaller lawns. Offer expires when route is full. Many paid the full quote price on the first cut anyhow. Do Not give them a regular quote for service then still do a cheap first cut. If they want a quote for mowing they will have to wait until after the first cut is over or they have just skipped the cheap first cut. They canít have it BOTH WAYS. I look at this way. it takes time to drive out for an estimate anyhow just do the first cut THEN give them the quote. Once you mow it once you have a better feel for the property. It can work to your advantage.

You need to have fine print in there for overgrown lawns etc. You need to be paid on the spot or no cut. If edges are overgrown give only a sample of blade edging.

I was considering doing an upgraded version of this at $25 intro cut, $30 for a corner and $35 up to half acre. But what is happening now is there are legitimate long time companies in my area that are full service now putting quotes for mow and trim at $24.99 regular weekly service that I mow for $35.

This is what I was thinking. Its a easy way for me to cut the lawn then make a quote. No more guess work. And I've been doing this for over 15 years. So I'm not going to run myself broke. Yes 1/4 lots only.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2012, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why not offer incentives for your current customers to get you referrals? Maybe 1 free month if referral stays with you at least 6 months? OR something like that anyway?

Reward your good customers. If you do good work, they will become your best evangelists with a bit of nudging.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipk1 View Post
Why not offer incentives for your current customers to get you referrals? Maybe 1 free month if referral stays with you at least 6 months? OR something like that anyway?

Reward your good customers. If you do good work, they will become your best evangelists with a bit of nudging.
I would consider that for a one time service say lawn aeration but mowing accounts just need to be all in the sale area. The added drive time just kills profits on.just mowing.

I'm considering canceling lawn service to an area that is furthest from where I live even though I have 3 accounts close together. Time will tell.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

And that is crazy.

Exmark Lazer ZX 29 hp Kaw 60in.
Exmark Turf Tracer HP 19hp Kaw 48in.
Honda HRX 217 21in.
Stihl FS90R Trimmer
Stihl FS250R Trimmer
Stihl FC 110 Edger
Stihl BR600 BackPack Blower
Stihl MS261 Pro Chain Saw
Echo CS 310 Chain Saw
Stihl HT 131 Pole Saw
Stihl SG20 BackPack Sprayer
Kawasaki KHT 600D Hedge Trimmer
Kawasaki KCL 525A Extended Reach Hedge Trimmer
Old 03-04-2012, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake101 View Post
And that is crazy.
What is crazier even is .... Iím considering quitting my other low over head business that Grosses me $20 Ė $24,000 per year and I don't have to leave the house for 10 Ė 20 hours of work per week @ $30 per hour.

I'd Rather Be Flying