Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-15-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There was an ad in the local paper for a guy mowing lawns for $15. I seriously thought about calling him to do mine because he would be cheaper than what I could do it for
Old 12-15-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cheaper than hiring someone lol!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I offer a free soil test to my customers for signing up for either a month to month service plan or spring/fall cleanups. It costs me around $12.00 but i feel it's worth it. The fact is, that everyone loves a deal and wants to feel like they are getting something in return (like QUALITY service isn't enough). But you have taken it to the extreme by offering $10, even $20 dollars cuts. There's no way you're making money on that and i hope you're not edging/blowing as well for that price. I'd try something else. Don't sell yourself short man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My logic behind the free soil test is that you'll get business off of that. They always call and say"what does all this mean?" That's where you sell them on the next job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thats how it is on craigslist. its hard to believe what people will be willing to do these days for so cheap.. with gas prices the way they are. 10 to 15 dollars and hour for leaf cleanup or mowing is almost the going rate on there. makes me sick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
There was an ad in the local paper for a guy mowing lawns for $15. I seriously thought about calling him to do mine because he would be cheaper than what I could do it for
Old 12-16-2012, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like the op isn't legit! Either that or he's totally gone mad! I could never stay in business with $10-$20 cuts!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had this discussion on another thread, I totally bewilders me that guys think that because they have little or so called "NO OVERHEAD" that allows them to work for virtually free, some are actually paying the customer to work by the time they are done, it's absolutly redicalous to be out there working for pennies on the dollar, I wish these guys would get the hell out of this business and go back to work for wal mart. Leave these cheap ass people to cut their own lawn, quit trying to service every tom dick and harry on the block! leav'em alone! they don't deserve our service's just like everybody don't deserve to live in a million dollar house, focus your business on the people that can truly afford our service not the ones that live in the hood. Sorry for the rant I'm done now.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I had this discussion on another thread, I totally bewilders me that guys think that because they have little or so called "NO OVERHEAD" that allows them to work for virtually free, some are actually paying the customer to work by the time they are done, it's absolutly redicalous to be out there working for pennies on the dollar, I wish these guys would get the hell out of this business and go back to work for wal mart. Leave these cheap ass people to cut their own lawn, quit trying to service every tom dick and harry on the block! leav'em alone! they don't deserve our service's just like everybody don't deserve to live in a million dollar house, focus your business on the people that can truly afford our service not the ones that live in the hood. Sorry for the rant I'm done now.
Well said!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately, 10 bucks for a first cut isn't much of a special in my area. At any given time, there might be 2-3 guys offering this service. Numerous guys are doing a full service job for 24.99 on a standard 35-50 dollar yard.

For the type of people that would use a lawn service, they are already prepared to spend the $50 every other week for lawn service and don't go around trolling Craigslist and coupons for some special deal.

Considering the amount of time and money you would spend doing, the ROI is very little.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think most have misunderstood the original post, or maybe I did but the OP is stating first 1 time cut for 10$.
I don't know your location but example here is we average 25 mowings a season. Your basic yard costs $35. 25x$35=875. minus 1 free $35= $840 / by 25 mowings New price is $33.60. I have lost $1.40 per week on the cut. Not much money to gain a customer. Most spend considerably more for customer acquisition.

Just to really get you going we ran an ad for a 2 week period this spring for 1 month of free mowing. If you are just giving the free or discounted mowing away and not signing some type of term contract, then yes you just lost money. We gave away your last month of mowing free with the 1 year commitment. Most then signed up for 3-4 other services that have higher profit margins. (this was the point) For the deal to be valid you had to stay committed all season. As well as the last month of mowing for us is pretty easy with very little lawn growth from week to week. This has it being or lowest overhead month. I can assure you we did well with every customer we signed up this way and made money on these home along with increasing profits on existing with tighter routes.