Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gaining more accounts in certain neighborhoods....advice?

Hey guys

I have 1 account in a gated neighborhood. This is an upper-scale neighborhood with zero lot lines and pretty much no grass, all landscape. They are "garden-type" landscapes so to speak. The one account I have pays great, and I would like to get a lot more accounts in this neighborhood. The account i do is EOW year-round, and I'm sure most would be the same way. An employee plus myself could do 15-20 in a day and the smallest account would probably be $100/mo. I don't need to drag a trailer in the neighborhood either....

However, I have done direct mail and that didn't work at all. I don't want to offer discounts either, but more so attract potential customers with high-quality work. The problem is is that a lot of the residents in the neighborhood are very seasonal.

Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We mail an informational three fold color brochures quarterly and include coupons for a free service, as well as a discount coupon for monthly maintenance. They get mailed 10 addresses up and down from the target house and 15 across the street, that way the mailing is targeted to the people that see our trucks regularly and our work. It's not a quick response but they add up.

The quickest way to increase accounts is to purchase a route, otherwise it's slow and steady. We picked up three accounts last months (referrals), SFH $110, $135 & $190. All in the same community. Price variation is due to lot size differences and plantings.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
We mail an informational three fold color brochures quarterly and include coupons for a free service, as well as a discount coupon for monthly maintenance. They get mailed 10 addresses up and down from the target house and 15 across the street, that way the mailing is targeted to the people that see our trucks regularly and our work. It's not a quick response but they add up.

The quickest way to increase accounts is to purchase a route, otherwise it's slow and steady. We picked up three accounts last months (referrals), SFH $110, $135 & $190. All in the same community. Price variation is due to lot size differences and plantings.
See I thought about doing a brochure myself. I know people want a deal, but I just don't want to go that route. The people I picked up in this neighborhood were not given any deal, so I don't think it would be fair to do that for others. I want people to use my company because of perceived value. The main issue is you can't really see much of the landscape from the front of the property as most is behind the house...would you mind pm me a few pics of your brochure?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I let the customers do the work for me. I tell them when ever I pick up a new client that they refer then they get a $25 gift card from local restaurant. I have one subdivision that I have given out a numbers of cards. I get more referrals every year. Just picked up 3 more this year. So for just $75 I have picked up 3 accounts for around $80 monthly each. I don't think that is a bad investment.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Jvan

That is called CLOVERLEAFING off your current accounts and is a very proven method that has been discussed here many times. Of Course the quality of work you do and the Curb Appeal of your account effects your success.

If you really want to put a push on, Hand deliver those brochure by cold call and talk with the home owner. Another trick used by TG/CL is to pick a plant leaf from their yard that has some kind of pest on it, or a weed that is common in their landscape. then attach it to your brochure saying LOOK WHAT I FOUND IN YOUR YARD. The whole trick is to give them a reason to switch to you.

Many years ago when I cut and trimmed I would work early morning and take the heat of the day off. Then I would go back out to work until Dark. BTW I was fresh out of a divorce at the time and didn't have much of a life at the time. BUT MY POINT IS. People like to take walks after dinner in the cool of the evening and would see me working. A big smile and a friendly hello sold me a lot of work because of that personal contact. I would see the same walkers all the time and after a few friendly hello they would ask me questions about plants and open the door to a low key sales pitch.

Frequencies of Landscape Maintenance needs are a matter of Customer desires and the type of Plants. A real good landscape designer will actual use slow growing pest free plants that need very little care. When I did landscape installs, I did less is more type designs that might even be considered a Florida Friendly Yard.

But the fact is most people are not concerned with weekly or bi weekly bed maintenance. Which brings up my next point about up selling a Low maintenance landscape by replacing fast growing Plants with slow growing pest free plants. The real money in the green industry is in INSTALLS.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wanna come back to this one when I have more time as I have some ideas for you diamond. I may send you a PM.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
I wanna come back to this one when I have more time as I have some ideas for you diamond. I may send you a PM.
Ok thnx mike
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2012, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
See I thought about doing a brochure myself. I know people want a deal, but I just don't want to go that route. The people I picked up in this neighborhood were not given any deal, so I don't think it would be fair to do that for others. I want people to use my company because of perceived value. The main issue is you can't really see much of the landscape from the front of the property as most is behind the house...would you mind pm me a few pics of your brochure?
Posted via Mobile Device
No problem sending you a copy. Will need to figure out how to do a screen capture.

I'm on my way to Okeechobee, North of the lake to do a major installation for the State. Will get to it ASAP.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
No problem sending you a copy. Will need to figure out how to do a screen capture.

I'm on my way to Okeechobee, North of the lake to do a major installation for the State. Will get to it ASAP.
Jvan

I am kind of surprised you are doing Government work. Even in good times Those jobs went for little money. I have a Friend who works for the county and puts together bid packages. He tells me they can't believe how cheap those contracts are going for because of our bad economy. Of course those bids are Public information. I have posted about Road & Right A Way mowing bids being too cheap before.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A little update. I'm not allowed to leave hangers or anything by the door in this hood. Only thing I can do is direct mail(which is worthless) or become a vendor on the prop manag company webpage(which is free). Im going to do that and hope my name gets around.
Posted via Mobile Device