Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2012, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

CNG system on 2001 F150

Bought a truck for my employee to work with, he's maiking payments on it, and it has a CNG system built onto it from Ford I believe. Its a 2001 F150 with the 5.4 gas engine and 2wd. It had a bracket in the back, and special filler door, and switch inside the cab. Under the hood there are some aluminum? plates and hardware I believe installed onto engine. He has no intention of ever using this setup and has had a spark plug issue that the propane system made it difficult to work on and was in the way! Is it worth having a shop take this system off the vehicle to sell off and how difficult would it be since this CNG is tied into the vehicle's fuel system? thanks in advance!

Lou
Old 03-09-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So first it was converted from gas to propane then to CNG? Well the propance parts are worth something. You have a propane tank and surely some type of regulator and some time of wiring harness.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Forgot my real question is what it cost per mile to run on CNG?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

dunno know if ppropane or cng, i think cng cause it was installed by ford or one of their vendors that do it for them. It used to be a service truck for a north carolina phone company.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had a 2000 F150 with the CNG kit and my mileage was within 1 MPG the same fuel or CNG. Given the current fuel-vs-CNG prices he would be wise to get the CNG kit repaired. I don't know what if any resale value the kit has besides scrap. They tend to upgrade those platforms regularly I was told so that one is probably obsolete. The tanks have a lifespan stamped right on them I think it is 12-15 years. I wish they weren't so expensive I would love to be paying 2 bucks and change for CNG right now rather than the 4+ I am paying for Diesel.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Az, well it didnt come with tanks, just the brackets...i discarded the bracket but the rest of system is still on truck. Id like to get rid of it so its easier to work on plugs and such on truck. Anyone interested??