Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Every Door Direct Mail

The more I got to thinking about how I was going to send out my postcards, the more it seems to make sense to use EDDM as it would be cheaper and you can still choose which routes you want. What size of postcards is everyone using for this? Not sure if there is just once size you can use or mult. sizes. I plan on going and talking to a local post office tomorrow to see if can get my questions answered. Hard to pass up 14.4 Cents...... It would allow me to send more postcards out for the same price I have priced other printing places.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They tell u on the eddm site the size requirements. Mine are 6.5 x 8.5.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's some info on EDDM qualifications:

• Your mail piece must be taller than 6.125” or longer than 11.5” and smaller than 12”x15”
• You must be mailing only to zip codes in city routes
• You do not need to purchase a mailing list as the post office will just deliver one piece to each home
• There is a 5000 piece maximum per mailer, per day for this program
• You must be willing to accept a delivery time of 7-14 business days

Some other info to think with:
EDDM is NOT a targeted mailing action. The EDDM system can only target houses based on physical location, not by other factors such as age, income level, interests, etc. Basically, it allows you to hit every house along a particular mail carrier’s route if that is something that is helpful to you. However, due to the strict specifications that mail pieces must meet, you will almost certainly still need to go through a mail house to make sure your mail qualifies.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like some help.

Sylvia Heneghan
Old 03-10-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to do simplified addressing to rural routes with DDU drop offs a few years ago. What I found is that even though they say delivery will happen in 7 - 14 days, it really depends on the carrier for that route. Since EDDM (and simplified addressing) are not machine sorted and placed in the carrier bundles, if you get a lazy carrier there is no telling when it will actually get delivered. I had some mailings that took up to 60+ days before they were fully delivered and since standard mail has no delivery time guarantee, there isn't anything you can do about it other than complain to the carrier supervisor at the DDU where that happened, which doesn't get any results.

My suggestion is to purchase CASS certified WSS mailing lists for the routes you want to deliver to, get some software that will let you print automation compatible pieces and drop your mailings off at the SCF for those routes. That way you're postage rate is 14.2 cents per item and you'll be in the carrier bundle so everything will be delivered within 1 - 3 days of it being dropped at the SCF.