Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ferris or Graverly

Don't know a thing about these mowers. Have a friend who is going with one or the other. I'm guessing the Ferris, but like I said don't know much about them. Like to get some of yall to tell me what yall know. Thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I own a gravely 34z and it is a monster. I don't know much about ferris but gravely has stepped it up lately.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You are connected to the internet obviously if you're posting on a forum. Go to both manufactures sites and read all there is to read about both. You'll have a better understanding of both brands and know what each one is capable of and have the info you'll need.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wecutgrass View Post
I own a gravely 34z and it is a monster. I don't know much about ferris but gravely has stepped it up lately.
Posted via Mobile Device
And someone will post how Ferris is a monster and is the best thing out there. The reason for my previous post.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I owned a Ferris is1500 and while it did offer the best ride of any mower of that size that I had been on and offered a decent cut quality....it simply did not hold up to my day to day operations. Under 1200 hrs and hundreds and hundreds of dollars later I faced replacing the hydros or a new Hustler....I now once again own all Hustler!
I will say that they bigger Ferris seem to be a little beefier and my deal really thinks they are good mowers but for me I am not switching until I am proven wrong.

Gravely I have not heard to much negative about but I have not owned one either.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have a Ferris is2000 and a is3100, great mowers.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
I owned a Ferris is1500 and while it did offer the best ride of any mower of that size that I had been on and offered a decent cut quality....it simply did not hold up to my day to day operations. Under 1200 hrs and hundreds and hundreds of dollars later I faced replacing the hydros or a new Hustler....I now once again own all Hustler!
I will say that they bigger Ferris seem to be a little beefier and my deal really thinks they are good mowers but for me I am not switching until I am proven wrong.

Gravely I have not heard to much negative about but I have not owned one either.
Poet, Are you running any new model Hustlers with vx4 decks? If so can you offer any feedback?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Poet, Are you running any new model Hustlers with vx4 decks? If so can you offer any feedback?
Yes, We have the VX4 deck. I am pleased with it but with that be warned that some Hustler decks have gotten praise in the south where I am at while you guys with cool season turfs cursed them.

The VX4 deck where made to be discharge beast from my understanding. I can say it is just that. It clears the clippings out of the deck in all but the wettest of lawns without any clumping for me. In fact the first day I grabbed the vx4 deck from the dealer it rained lightly for a good little period late that afternoon while we were driving to the dealer. Picked it up and took it to a lawn to try it out right away.

Here is a couple of picture of the virgin cut on day one on somewhat wet turf.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gravelys are great. I have a 260 and its smooth and cut is great.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Yes, We have the VX4 deck. I am pleased with it but with that be warned that some Hustler decks have gotten praise in the south where I am at while you guys with cool season turfs cursed them.

The VX4 deck where made to be discharge beast from my understanding. I can say it is just that. It clears the clippings out of the deck in all but the wettest of lawns without any clumping for me. In fact the first day I grabbed the vx4 deck from the dealer it rained lightly for a good little period late that afternoon while we were driving to the dealer. Picked it up and took it to a lawn to try it out right away.

Here is a couple of picture of the virgin cut on day one on somewhat wet turf.

Ah. Jumped the gun. Didn't look at your location. Looks good though. Thanks for the info.