Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 PM
superintendent superintendent is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 394
ferris or Graverly

Don't know a thing about these mowers. Have a friend who is going with one or the other. I'm guessing the Ferris, but like I said don't know much about them. Like to get some of yall to tell me what yall know. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Wecutgrass's Avatar
Wecutgrass Wecutgrass is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Metairie Louisiana
Posts: 660
I own a gravely 34z and it is a monster. I don't know much about ferris but gravely has stepped it up lately.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 PM
orangemower orangemower is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 2,773
You are connected to the internet obviously if you're posting on a forum. Go to both manufactures sites and read all there is to read about both. You'll have a better understanding of both brands and know what each one is capable of and have the info you'll need.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 PM
orangemower orangemower is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wecutgrass View Post
I own a gravely 34z and it is a monster. I don't know much about ferris but gravely has stepped it up lately.
Posted via Mobile Device
And someone will post how Ferris is a monster and is the best thing out there. The reason for my previous post.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,440
I owned a Ferris is1500 and while it did offer the best ride of any mower of that size that I had been on and offered a decent cut quality....it simply did not hold up to my day to day operations. Under 1200 hrs and hundreds and hundreds of dollars later I faced replacing the hydros or a new Hustler....I now once again own all Hustler!
I will say that they bigger Ferris seem to be a little beefier and my deal really thinks they are good mowers but for me I am not switching until I am proven wrong.

Gravely I have not heard to much negative about but I have not owned one either.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 PM
PLS-Tx's Avatar
PLS-Tx PLS-Tx is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,330
We have a Ferris is2000 and a is3100, great mowers.
__________________
over 40 years old
20 years in business
full time


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM
mtmower's Avatar
mtmower mtmower is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Western Montana
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
I owned a Ferris is1500 and while it did offer the best ride of any mower of that size that I had been on and offered a decent cut quality....it simply did not hold up to my day to day operations. Under 1200 hrs and hundreds and hundreds of dollars later I faced replacing the hydros or a new Hustler....I now once again own all Hustler!
I will say that they bigger Ferris seem to be a little beefier and my deal really thinks they are good mowers but for me I am not switching until I am proven wrong.

Gravely I have not heard to much negative about but I have not owned one either.
Poet, Are you running any new model Hustlers with vx4 decks? If so can you offer any feedback?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Poet, Are you running any new model Hustlers with vx4 decks? If so can you offer any feedback?
Yes, We have the VX4 deck. I am pleased with it but with that be warned that some Hustler decks have gotten praise in the south where I am at while you guys with cool season turfs cursed them.

The VX4 deck where made to be discharge beast from my understanding. I can say it is just that. It clears the clippings out of the deck in all but the wettest of lawns without any clumping for me. In fact the first day I grabbed the vx4 deck from the dealer it rained lightly for a good little period late that afternoon while we were driving to the dealer. Picked it up and took it to a lawn to try it out right away.

Here is a couple of picture of the virgin cut on day one on somewhat wet turf.



__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 PM
johnnyusa johnnyusa is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: connecticut
Posts: 503
Gravelys are great. I have a 260 and its smooth and cut is great.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 PM
mtmower's Avatar
mtmower mtmower is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Western Montana
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Yes, We have the VX4 deck. I am pleased with it but with that be warned that some Hustler decks have gotten praise in the south where I am at while you guys with cool season turfs cursed them.

The VX4 deck where made to be discharge beast from my understanding. I can say it is just that. It clears the clippings out of the deck in all but the wettest of lawns without any clumping for me. In fact the first day I grabbed the vx4 deck from the dealer it rained lightly for a good little period late that afternoon while we were driving to the dealer. Picked it up and took it to a lawn to try it out right away.

Here is a couple of picture of the virgin cut on day one on somewhat wet turf.




Ah. Jumped the gun. Didn't look at your location. Looks good though. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.07997 seconds with 7 queries