Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark Blades Help

I can't figure this one out. I have a 36" Exmark Metro. I have ordered different blades in the past and some are different then others. The stock part # 103-6584. Now there are a lot of blades for sale that say they will replace that #.

I was out in the garage yesterday comparing some old high lift blades I bought for this mower a year or two ago. They were the exact same overall length when set on top of one another. However, I did notice that the cutting edges themselves on one set was a good 1.5-2.0 inches longer/shorter. Why would that be?

I just ordered some new ones with the part # 103-6584. When I got my confirmation e mail the company is sending me a blades with the part # 355-044 that replaces Exmark 103-6584.

I have also noticed that depending on which replacement for Exmark 103-6584 you click on, because several come back, the blade length for a 36" mower can be 18" per blade or 17 15/16 per blade, why is that?

Does anybody know?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone......?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know why this is but I do know that I ran exmarks from 01 to '10 and I always had problems with my brand new from the fectory blades sometimes leaving ridges in heavy (not hay but 4 inch cutting down to 3 inch) grass in the middle where they meet tip to tip. They were new with the paint on them and had never been sharpened. This happened on two different 60" exmark lazers I had and could never figure out why other than the blades didn't have enough overlap. I checked the deck for being out of level/pitch or even bent, replaced the bearing housings and bearings, bought factory spec blades etc. etc. and nothing helped except going at a crawl speed-wise which was ridiculos. I finally mentioned it to an exmark rep at Green Expo here in Indiana and he said he would look into it. They may now be making longer blades to give more overlap tip to tip to resolve this issue. I don't know for sure bcause I run grandstands now and don't have this problem anymore.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensgate7 View Post
I don't know why this is but I do know that I ran exmarks from 01 to '10 and I always had problems with my brand new from the fectory blades sometimes leaving ridges in heavy (not hay but 4 inch cutting down to 3 inch) grass in the middle where they meet tip to tip. They were new with the paint on them and had never been sharpened. This happened on two different 60" exmark lazers I had and could never figure out why other than the blades didn't have enough overlap. I checked the deck for being out of level/pitch or even bent, replaced the bearing housings and bearings, bought factory spec blades etc. etc. and nothing helped except going at a crawl speed-wise which was ridiculos. I finally mentioned it to an exmark rep at Green Expo here in Indiana and he said he would look into it. They may now be making longer blades to give more overlap tip to tip to resolve this issue. I don't know for sure bcause I run grandstands now and don't have this problem anymore.
Yeah that's odd. Hopefully the 17 15/16 blades I got instaed of the 18" isn't the issue you had. I wish someone that knew would chime in because it's annoying the hell out of me.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, so almost 2 days and nobody has an answer? Am I over thinking things or does somebody have an idea at least?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, let me give this a shot for Thursday now..............
Old 03-08-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, here is an example if this helps show what Im talking about.

http://www.mowmore.com/index.cfm/pro...ower-blade.cfm

http://www.mowmore.com/index.cfm/pro...ower-blade.cfm
Old 03-08-2012, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

does it matter if you use two 17 15/16" blades or two 18" blades?
Somebody......please....

Talking 1/8" difference. Why is it like that?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the cutting is done with the area close to the tip. Some manufacturers have a longer cutting edge, but you will see that most of the wear will be close to the tip. I am not too concerned with the length of the cutting edge but given the choice I would choose a blade with more overlap (longer). Just try them and see how they do, more than likely you won't notice much difference.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200 View Post
Most of the cutting is done with the area close to the tip. Some manufacturers have a longer cutting edge, but you will see that most of the wear will be close to the tip. I am not too concerned with the length of the cutting edge but given the choice I would choose a blade with more overlap (longer). Just try them and see how they do, more than likely you won't notice much difference.
Thanks man!!! I must have stumped everyone on this site

I guess you're right about not noticing, especially 1/8 of an inch. I just thought it was weird.